Do you use a single ball (brand and type) when you play?

Wiskey

GRINT 12.7
Reaction score
Handicap
12.7 Grint
I really hate loosing balls I paid for, so for the longest time I just played whatever balls I found. I'd have 3 various balls in my pocket and whatever one came out at the tee box is the one I played that hole. As I got better, with a more consistent putter stroke I found that speed control is very difficult when switching from soft balls, to hard balls, from ProV1's to Supersofts, to Topflight Distance XL. At first I thought I was imagining it, but I'm sure these balls come off the putter face with different speeds assuming the same stroke.

What's more is that they also come off the wedge face at different speeds, and land with more or less check depending on the ball.

I just play casual rounds with friends, so I started playing whatever from tee to chipping then pull a ball that I practice with out of my pocket to chip and putt with. This works great, but I do get some flack from my friends about it sometimes, plus it now seems like distance control is also different enough to matter from ball to ball.

So, after all that,.. here's my question. In casual rounds, do you play balls you find? Or do you use a single type and brand of ball?

Thank you,
Whiskey

I play one ball (brand and type) for the whole round. I’ve found a golf ball that works for me so there is no reason for me to play found balls.

Those I throw in a shag bag and let my daughter hit when we play.

I try to stick with the same brand and type of ball if possible. Typically play a Truvis Chrome Soft.

Usually I play with whatever I find. However, this season I'm trying to stick with one brand and ball - Srixon Z star (with the occasional Q Star Tour thrown in). Definitely helps with my chipping to play one ball. I'll still play whatever ball I have around if my swing is poor that day and I don't want to lose my gamers.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I never play found balls but I do play both a Callaway Chrome Soft and the ERC during the same round. I've played enough with both to understand their playing characteristics and will choose between the two based on what I feel gives me the best chance for success on that hole.

I try to stick to 1 ball, just so that I know what its going to do in any given situation. If you play a different ball all the time, you never quite know what its going to do.
I was reminded of this recently. On Friday, I played a casual round with some Titleist DT Trusofts. Good ball but not the spinniest ball around the greens. Today, I played in a tournament, so I decided to play some Pro V1s. Off of every club, the Pro Vs felt completely different and it took me a few holes to figure out my putting touch with them. I should have just stuck with the Truesofts but oh well.

I play a single type of ball most of the time but not out of any loyalty (it frequently changes between brands and ball type over the year). I just want to know my yardages for that day and trust it and playing the same type of ball for 18 holes helps that confidence

I have played the QST exclusively the last three years.

I only play Prov1x no matter the situation. It's also the only ball I use on my putting green at home. Any found ball goes to my daughter, my girlfriend or whoever I'm playing with.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Either Bridgestone Tour B XS or Callaway Chrome softs for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends what I find.

If I find a ProV1, CS, TP5, ZStar I’ll put it in my bag. If it’s a “lesser” or “X” golf ball I’ll hand it to one of my playing partners if they want it.

Usually. If I know I'm switching I might end up with a round or two where I'm playing a mix, but for the most part I stick with one type of golf ball. However, I may not have the same year or release of the same ball. So I might have a bunch of Z-Star balls in my bag, but there's a good chance some of them are the previous years release.

Do you use a single ball (brand and type) when you play?

Historically, I played whatever was in my bag which included Bridgestone B330 & RX, ProV1, ChromeSoft, TP5, and some Srixon balls. I didn’t think I was good enough to notice a difference.

I’m focused on lowering my index this year (easier typed than done!) and started the season with Bridgestone RX. I recently learned RXS is better for me after going through their fitting process. The best part is I can see a ball performance difference on the course.

If you want to focus on scoring, then I suggest finding a ball that fits your swing and stick with it. If you enjoy golfing and don’t care about the score, then play whatever works for you (new or found).

I usually play the same brand and model. I’ll try a different ball here or there but it’s not from finding some stray on the course.

I told myself that I was going to play one ball this year, but that didn't happen. I play about 4/5 different kinds each year.

I really hate loosing balls I paid for, so for the longest time I just played whatever balls I found. I'd have 3 various balls in my pocket and whatever one came out at the tee box is the one I played that hole. As I got better, with a more consistent putter stroke I found that speed control is very difficult when switching from soft balls, to hard balls, from ProV1's to Supersofts, to Topflight Distance XL. At first I thought I was imagining it, but I'm sure these balls come off the putter face with different speeds assuming the same stroke.

What's more is that they also come off the wedge face at different speeds, and land with more or less check depending on the ball.

I just play casual rounds with friends, so I started playing whatever from tee to chipping then pull a ball that I practice with out of my pocket to chip and putt with. This works great, but I do get some flack from my friends about it sometimes, plus it now seems like distance control is also different enough to matter from ball to ball.

So, after all that,.. here's my question. In casual rounds, do you play balls you find? Or do you use a single type and brand of ball?

Thank you,
Whiskey

Fwiw there are also differences in spin rates and dispersion off tees and with mid and long shots too. Balls matter for all parts of our games.

For years I used exclusively the e6. Now for past few I use exclusively chrome soft (top ball which also helps keep the dispersion down via a softer core) like the e6 but with a better spin around the greens.

But Im a bit nuts with balls. I wont play any ball with a scuff or nock in it at all, or even discoloration. And it has to be my own ball that I bought. I just feel better that way (with no real reasoning) other than I feel better. I wont even play a found perfectly good ChromeSoft. Crazy I know but it isn't mine so Im not liking it...lol...nuts right?

But that craziness aside I always felt the same ball was important so as to eliminate a variable. Hard enough to play this game with all our inconsistencies to begin with. And so imo I don't need to add the variable of different balls behaviors as I play. My logic? ......is why add that to my already struggles with consistency?

I've been experimenting lately but typically, I play the same ball all round.

As for found balls, if playing alone, I can't remember when I've bothered to even check what it was. Always just leave it as I play what I play and am not interested.

But if playing with others, I'll retrieve a ball to offer it to them.

I stick to one and have for some time in rounds that might matter. If I’m just trying to get a few holes in, I’ll generally grab whatever is in the basket on the cart. My wife has a soft spot for picking them up out of the rough if she finds them.

Since 2016 I’ve played Bridgestone B330 RX for a couple months. Then switched to TM TP5/5x for a couple months. Then it was Callaway chromesoft for over a year and starting the year I played prov1x for 1.5 months but have since stayed with chromesoft X.

Normally always play a Bridgestone Tour B RX or B330-RX. If I find a Titleist AVX in really good condition, I will play it for a round or two.

The timing of this thread couldn't be more appropriate for me. I played today (not great but I played). I was playing my last sleeve of Chrome Soft Truvis (Black and Yellow) and I got to a hole that usually eats my lunch *(read: goes in the lake off the box). Out of fear of losing one of my beloved Truvis, I switched balls and (of course) it went right down the middle of the fairway. I had been making some really decent approach shots earlier in the round that were dropping on a dime. So I line up my shot to the green put a great swing on it, it hits about 5 feet short of the flag and runs out another 15 feet. My Truvis would have dropped and stopped right there.

That was it. I went back to my Truvis and didn't look back. No more playing scared and costing me strokes. My ball is my ball. I'm playing it no matter what.

If I find something I have not hit new model in good shape I may hit it a few times per round to compare with what I started round with.

On a side if anyone has new 1st year csx I want some. I hate the graphene feel, sorry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I play one ball, for the last 5 months it has been TP5 Tailormade. I know what it will do off my driver and irons, ow it wlll perform in windy days or calm. Until i find better, that's the ball

My preference is Pro V1 but I just got some Snell MTB-X and they are excellent as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been playing Callaway Supersoft or Chrome Soft exclusively for the past year. I've got an almost never ending supply thanks to one of my golfing buddies who goes golf ball hunting almost every morning prior to our tee time. I don't care if they're used, as long as they have no scuffs or marks on them.

Back