Your reaction when you hear "FORE!"?

justincredible

Reaction score
Handicap
Interesting conversation going on in the Tour forum about the responsibility of yelling FORE on an errant shot. A few comments about amateurs typically looking up trying to find the ball, or not yelling FORE because it could cause someone to move into the path of your ball.

So, when you're out on the course and hear FORE! what is your immediate reaction? If I'm out in the open with no cover available, I'll get as close to the ground as I can and tuck my head under my arms. If I'm near a cart or trees or some other type of cover I'll try to shield myself with that but still tuck my head under my arms.

How about you? Are you looking up trying to track the ball, bobbing and weaving to try to get out of the way, or do you duck and cover where you stand?

giphy.gif

Pretty much that. Duck and Cover. If I can instantly tell the direction it came from and there is a tree nearby or my cart I try and duck behind one of those quickly but generally just duck and cover up.

I usually cover the back of my neck and head with my arms until I hear or see a ball land

Splay one hand on the top of my head, figuring a broken hand is better than a split melon.

Hands cover my head. I laugh when people look the direction the fore is coming from.

Hands over my head, don't move.

I cover my head and my nuts. If I'm walking, I may duck under the pushcart.

I just crouch down and try to cover my head.

Quickly process where the fore is coming from and then overreact with hands over head while the ball lands 80 yards away.

Last edited:
I cover my head, been hit twice in past 6 months but both times heard the fore. Couple of nice welts on legs.

Duck & cover! Actually depends where it's coming from. I don't want to look like the village idiot ducking & covering when it's a guy 3 fairways over yelling. On my hole or adjacent hole, get behind the cart & use it for cover.

Duck and cover to protect my beautiful face, haha :beat-up:

I don't get anyone who tries to track the ball. Even if you do manage to catch it coming, I doubt there would be time to get out of the way.

I duck and cover, never look up. By the way, I am old enough to remember doing those "Duck and Cover" drills in elementary school!

Turn my back to the direction it was yelled from and cover my head and neck the best I can with my arms.

Turn away from the direction of FORE, duck and cover my head.

Duck and cover. And turn away from the direction the shout came from, if there's time.

I make myself small enough to climb into a helmet.

Dive into a bunker if time permits.

Seriously though I just crouch down and duck or try and jump in front of the cart if I'm close enough.

I'm 6'4" 190 so finding a hiding spot isn't the easiest thing. If I'm near the cart I try to duck behind it. If out in the open I cover the back of my head and try to crouch down. If I'm with my kid, I put him in a bear hug and hope it hits me and not him.

I'll usually crouch over and put my arms and hands over my head.

Depends on the urgency of the yell. I find there's a big difference in my reaction between a "courtesy fore" and a "please don't die fore".

For a mild yell I usually just stand still and keep my head down, but for an urgent holler I'll take cover behind the clicgear.

I usually cover the back of my neck and head with my arms until I hear or see a ball land

This....and then..... :wtf:

One had over my eyes, the other behind my neck and duck.

Looking for the incoming ball is a great way to catch one in the face.

I learned this from way back when I did construction, Any time someone yelled "look out", you just covered up, because "looking out" could give you a nice face full of whatever was falling.

If near the cart or other cover, I'll take it. If in the open, I blade my body sideways turn my head away and cover with one or two hands.

Back