Do You Match Play?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I enjoy match play quite a bit and we have now put it regularly into our foursome. I talk to a lot of golfers that never play it. Do you?

I'll play it a course I regularly go to. if it is a totally new course we will just try and shoot our best, plot our way round and get as much as we can out of it.

During regular rounds no, but I try and play in as many match play events as possible, we even created a new one this year at my home course where we play 55+ vs under 55 in a team style match play event

My friends and I will usually play skins, or a couple of us will have a match together inside the group. We typically play for dimes, or step up to a whole quarter when someone is feeling froggy. For a while, before our friend moved away, we played what we called the Cannon Classic. We would make teams of two and break up six holes each of best ball, alternate shot and scramble.

Play it all the time and love the format. Team match (5 points available, 1 for each match (4), plus an extra point for the team that wins the most holes) on Wednesday evening and a singles match against a +0.3 player on Saturday. We often play $X Nassau for our singles matches (front, back, total). It's a great format for a wide variety of indexes.

Occasionally I'll challenge one of my foursome to a match during our round.

Yes, it's the best way to play golf IMO and the way nearly any amateur should play most of their golf in some variation of that format. It's stupid for a triple bogey on hole 3 to ruin your round when you can play hole by hole and it only counts as losing once. Stroke play is only for those that are extremely good at golf and is by far the most demanding form of competition among golfers.

Any time I play head to head with one other person it's match play, never medal.

In a foursome, if we want to play a team game then it's a 4BBB match.

When there are three of us, it's either rotating 6-6-6 partners (like three little 6-hole matches) or very occasionally we will play the 9-point game (3-3-3, 4-4-1, 5-2-2, 5-3-1 scoring).

My normal weekend play is in a large group that blind draws teams and we play a "quota" or "points" game that is basically stroke play with a gross double bogey score limit per hole.

Around here not really. When I'm prepping for a THP event or playing with THPers I sometimes will though

Not very often, but my regular partner will be playing that with me more regular to prep for the Grandaddy.

I enjoy match play quite a bit and we have now put it regularly into our foursome. I talk to a lot of golfers that never play it. Do you?
I have a match play game this Saturday for my club's Presidents Cup team. I don't get to play match play much, but I really enjoy it when I do get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

not on the reg. it's a ton of fun, but i play so infrequently that i would prefer to play my own ball.

I talk to a lot of golfers that never play it.

I remember a couple years ago talking a guy I was playing with into a little 18-hole match, loser buys drinks after. I could tell he was just going along with me to be polite and that "match play" would never occur to him normally.

So we had a nice close game and I ended up losing 2-and-1 so beer was on me. While we were in the clubhouse he pored over his scorecard a minute and said, "Looks like I really beat you by six shots". I didn't press the matter but asked about the "really" part and he said something to the effect of if I wanted to keep track of the match-play score that was fine by him but all he cared about was our final scores.

Sigh.

Love match play format.

I'd say about 30-40% of my rounds include match play. It's generally as a side game with someone in the group. Both keep individual stroke scores, but the scoring between us is hole by hole match play.

I prefer match play.

It keeps people from losing their mind on one hole.

Never had... We probably should as it would add a different type of competition to our group

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have started doing it pretty much every time I play with @OhioGolfer. Helps to keep us both engaged if(when) the stroke play scores aren't where we want them to be. Was pretty one sided for awhile, but has become more competitive here lately. I enjoy it quite a bit.

I prefer match play.

It keeps people from losing their mind on one hole.

And it keeps people from, pardon the phrase, having their head up their own backside for the entire round.

If I'm playing a head-to-head game against you, I really like us both being aware of the ebb and flow of each hole.

It's too easy for head-to-head stroke play to turn into each guy just focusing on his own scorecard and the only real interaction is comparing totals at the end. That's fine I guess but heck, you could compare scores if you didn't even play together. Just check GHIN at the end of the day!

I am really lucky that my club has 2 match play tournaments (solo and then 2 man teams) and we are playing in team match play events. Also on our yearly golf trip we do ryder cup type of play with a few singles matches and a few fourball matches.

Great fun in my opinion.

Not a ton. I don't have a regular group to play with.

I never have enough people that I play with on a regular basis to do it. I would play it more if given the opportunity.

I quite like it, the individual and pairs knockout competitions at our club are match play and I have played in them for a couple years

If I am off work and join one of the regular weekly groups they play stableford for the entire group (anywhere from 15-20 people usually) but within the groups there is usually a pairs match play game as well with the losers putting the couple of quid in to the pot for the stableford winnings

Not as often as I would like. Maybe 4 - 6 times a year.

I enjoy match play and play it whenever possible.

Way back in the day, most of us had multiple matches going both individual and teams.

Back