Do You Match Play?

Only time we do it is a Team Match Play. Still play your own ball and keep your own score. Best score wins that hole, or halves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not often. I hate it when there are pops involved. Straight up is fun though.

It depends on the group i am playing with. I enjoy the format (and even trying new formats) but often the group is unwilling so we end up playing stroke play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, play a good amount of it and it is super fun

Not often. I hate it when there are pops involved. Straight up is fun though.
For sure.

That's why the only time we do it is in a Team format. Pair the best and worst golfer together with no pops.

Can't stand playing with strokes given. I don't even like it if I get strokes, I decline them. Just Golf. If I get smoked I get smoked.

I play match play a lot with my most frequent playing partner. When we do league, we have an individual match play competition between ourselves for who buys the beer for next week. Our league is also team match play - where my score is added to my partners score, and then their scores are added together. One point per hole and one point for overall score for 10 points a week total. It's by far my preferred way to play - in good part because I'm still an awful golfer with blowup holes.

I enjoy match play. I’m in a weekly league that is match play. It’s good for me b/c being inconsistent does not equate to being out of the match.

I do Match Play each time i tee it up with others. Whether it's known or it's in my head, i am always trying to play my best and beat what my playing partners are scoring. It keeps me focused and sharp.

My regular game is a group of 6 to 20 players and the format is skins, including a payout for top 2 or 3 spots medal play.
If I am playing with only one other person we have a match play match, plus junk (birdies-sandies-greenies).

Every weekend. It's all my regular group plays!

2 times a year.

Our club chamionship is match play

We do a "Home and Home" with a neighboring city that is match play. One day at our course, one day at theirs.

Really would like more as I enjoy match play.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I prefer match play. It allows you to poop the bed on a hole or two and not take yourself out of a round completely.

We play it frequently. It is a good format for amateurs as a golfer can have a really bad hole and still be in the competition.

By and large, the way to win at match play is to hit more good-to-great shots than your opponent.

And by and large, the way to win at stroke play is to hit fewer disaster shots than your opponent.

That's grossly oversimplified, of course. But the weighting of unusually good vs. unusually bad shots is definitely different in the two formats. Starting over afresh at each tee limits the damage a horrible swing can do but a birdie or eagle is still a winner in both formats.

For a double-digit-handicap player with a scorecard and pencil in hand, there is almost never a reasonable justification for taking any chances whatsoever during a round. Any serious obstacle or hazard should be avoided even at the cost of a full stroke, if it's enough of a potential problem to lead to an 8 or 9 or 10 on the card. When you're a 15hcp hacker the serious obstacles or hazards means darned near anything other than fairway or short rough.

I'll get a match play round in about once a month. One of my regular playing buddies and I are usually within 1-2 strokes of each other, so match play is a fun way to mix it up and take some risks I normally wouldn't take.

I absolutely love match play! unfortunately for me, only one or two of my buddies will play it with me as the other 3 or so "need" to play straight up stroke play to keep their handicap haha

about 40% of my rounds are match play....

I also love playing Wolf

I absolutely love match play! unfortunately for me, only one or two of my buddies will play it with me as the other 3 or so "need" to play straight up stroke play to keep their handicap haha

It's impossible to know which is the chicken and which is the egg but the typical USA golfer is basically out there to shoot a score and write it down his card. The results of the match or game is of less importance than "What did you shoot?".

And the USGA Handicap system has for years enshrined that with the command that, even if you're playing match play, you have to keep that damned stroke play scorecard so you'll have a number for the computer.

The whole thing is a now a self-justifying cycle. For many people, there is no form of golf other than stroke play. Which of course they can't actually deal with so they pick up after double bogey and roll the ball out of divots and play breakfast balls and pick up 3-footers. A lot of that behavior wouldn't be so ingrained if they were just playing a 4BBB Nassau match with their buddies and not writing down a stroke-play score on the card.

I've only played Match format twice. Both times were in a team tournament and I really liked it.

I play it often. It's my favorite format for 1v1 golf, hands down. The closer the handicaps between 2 players, the better.

I do match play every time my dad and I go out. We get after each other after the first hole or two in a fun way, then both end up forgetting we even were playing against each other until after 18 and one of us finds out we closed it out on 16. The fun and being able to talk about life takes over the round but still fun to take the honors off the tee from him every so often when the rare occasion happens.

Oh yeah, and I love it. It is the most fun format, IMO.

It's impossible to know which is the chicken and which is the egg but the typical USA golfer is basically out there to shoot a score and write it down his card. The results of the match or game is of less importance than "What did you shoot?".

And the USGA Handicap system has for years enshrined that with the command that, even if you're playing match play, you have to keep that damned stroke play scorecard so you'll have a number for the computer.

The whole thing is a now a self-justifying cycle. For many people, there is no form of golf other than stroke play. Which of course they can't actually deal with so they pick up after double bogey and roll the ball out of divots and play breakfast balls and pick up 3-footers. A lot of that behavior wouldn't be so ingrained if they were just playing a 4BBB Nassau match with their buddies and not writing down a stroke-play score on the card.

Exactly right. It’s always what did you shoot or how did I do. No one wants to actually playa game to be competitive or even just to rib each other a little bit.

Match should be almost every round except for actual comps because typical public play is spread throughout so many skill levels. Playing hole by hole is so much more fun than blowing up o the 2nd or 3 rd and being out of it the rest of the way and moping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have started doing it pretty much every time I play with @OhioGolfer. Helps to keep us both engaged if(when) the stroke play scores aren't where we want them to be. Was pretty one sided for awhile, but has become more competitive here lately. I enjoy it quite a bit.

It's a lot of fun, keeps us sharp in case we get picked for THP events.

Very often. Such a fun format and blow up holes don't knock you out of the running. Each hole is a new battle.

Back