Do You Match Play?

I like match play, a lot. A bad hole doesn’t kill you & if matches up correctly, can make for an interesting round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Thursday night league is match play.

I love it because I can par three holes, then put up an eight.....

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Do You Match Play?

I prefer match play actually. Either one v one or teams, I find all of it to be the most enjoyable type of golf.

I've played a ton of match play. For almost 20 years I was in a league that had a match play season that went from April through August. A match every week. My club has a match play tournament with about 100 participants every year. Play starts early May and runs into mid-July. All this is in addition to the more informal match play with your buds.

My Thursday league is match play and I think it's fantastic. Match play makes you strategize in a totally different way than some play and that's fun.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

All the time. Especially in a foursome. It makes for some great laughs and banter. Never take it too seriously though and if we wager it is for drinks or something small.

The only time I've played Match Play was the Call Outs on here. That was a lot of fun!

Every Monday for my golf league, love the challenge and pressure. Really tests your game under the gun playing different opponents of different skill levels. Has made me a better player during my normal rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t do enough THP research to risk starting a new thread.

my question to the THP universe…do you have a match play nemesis?

I have two potential suitors. One I own. One I strive to beat. A third I hope becomes someone I play again.

@MSEASU
@oumagic
@vdubtx

Do you know which one you are?

I enjoy match play quite a bit and we have now put it regularly into our foursome. I talk to a lot of golfers that never play it. Do you?
Love it, Will do it when I can. The 2018 Morgan was the first time I had ever played a multi format event but that was so much fun. Each 9 was different.
I love to compete, I think it can bring out the best (and Worst) in people. I often find I stay more focused when there is even a small bet on the line.
I probably lose more than I win but it doesn't matter it's the competition that is fun.

@snafu and I will play for lunch and Our league on monday also counts.
I agree it keeps High cappers in the game more because a blowup hole doesn't destroy a match.

If the caps are correct it puts more pressure on a low cap to play well. I just have to play to my average or slightly better and they start to complain. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I like match play to balance the playing field, my friends nor I carry real handicaps at the moment so we have to use some sort of equalizer.

I have two potential suitors. One I own. One I strive to beat. A third I hope becomes someone I play again.

@MSEASU
@oumagic
@vdubtx

I can guess one, the other two are up in the air. :LOL:

I'm not sure I've ever played a match play round. I like the format, it's just not one we play.

@MSEASU
@oumagic
@vdubtx

I hope to play you again

I can guess one, the other two are up in the air. :LOL:

I'm not sure I've ever played a match play round. I like the format, it's just not one we play.
Nope we should plan a round sometime

I would say 99% of our foresome play the past 2 years has been 2 player match play. We play usually best ball on front 9 and combined score for back plus some bonus situations. We find it keeps the rounds competitive and fun plus adds to the trash talking.

Play it a good bit. Money may not change hands but there’s usually some bragging rights.

Never do it. I don't have a regular foursome or group. My wife and I usually golf together and so a circuit of nearby courses. We'd like to do it. I wouldn't mind. Some clubs nearby have a member league with match play vs stroke play.

Match play is great, whether between 2, 3, or 4 people. My usual crew want to keep score and play their own ball so other types of matches like alternate shot or a scramble do not come up unless in a tournament. Match play is our usual game; $5 front, $5 back, and $5 for total, so $15 is up for grabs. It is rare that anyone ever wins the $15, though. I like the pressure it adds.

After my shortcomings in it this year, next year is going to be a lot of it! Can’t wait!

All our rounds in my regular 4 some are match play.

I enjoy match play quite a bit and we have now put it regularly into our foursome. I talk to a lot of golfers that never play it. Do you?
One buddy and I used to do this all the time. Loved it. But he retire to FL. and I got old, then fat, then lots of surgeries. Playing a lot now, as many here know, I'd play again it's fun..

Back