36 Most Annoying Golf Partners

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
There are some guys you just wish you weren't playing with. Here are a few ... feel free to add your favorite annoying partner.

1. Unsolicited golf advice guy - knows exactly how to fix your swing even though you didn't ask. "Here try this."
  2. The Human Rain Delay - thinks he's honoring the spirit of the game by never picking up. Dragging his foursome thru an agonizing 3 1/2 hour front nine. "Put me down for a 10."
  3. Cell Phone Guy - has perfected the phone-on-the-shoulder-hitting-the-wedge-shot. Considers the course an extension of his office, home, therapist's couch, etc. "Hey guys, go ahead I gotta take this."
  4. Cart Girl Schmoozer - convinced he has a shot at the cart girl. "We will take four more beers and one more smile, darlin."
  5. Parking Lot Guy - Color-coordinated outfit, matching logos and oversized tour bag suggest he's played professionally. Topped drive off the first tee suggests otherwise. "These are the same shoes Tiger wears." (I'm guilty of this one sometimes! :act-up:
  6. The Air Counter - can't remember his score without reliving every shot in detail. "One in the pond, two drop, three in the bunker, four left it in the bunker ..."
  7. The Frat Boy - Unable to fathom a round of golf without a steady stream of adult beverages. Idea of restraint is to hold off drinking ... until the second hole. "A few beers will loosen up that swing!"
  8. Cigar Guy - The easiest golfer to locate on the course thanks to waft of smoke trailing behind him. Oblivious to playing partners struggling for air -- and the ash droppings on his belly. "Straight from Havana, baby." (paging @greekilte @wubears71
  9. The Sandbagger - The 15 handicap who is somehow playing "much better" than he has in years. Feigns apology when he drops bunker shot within inches of cup, then kicks sand off his shoes like a tour pro. "Guess it's just one of those days."
  10. Ball Retriever Guy - Never passes a water hazard without his trusty scoop at the ready. Last bought a new sleeve of balls in the late 80s. "Whoa ... a ProV!"
  11. Oblivious Guy - So preoccupied with his own game never looks for anyone else's ball. When driving a cart, always blows past your ball and heads directly to his. "Enough about me, what do you think of my swing?"
  12. The Volcano - So preoccupied with his own game never looks for anyone else's ball. When driving a cart, always blows past your ball and heads directly to his. "EXPLETIVE!"
  13. Delusional Guy - Forces group to wait on every par 5 because he's convinced he can get home in two. Usually gets there in four. "If I really catch it, I can get there."
  14. Mulligan Guy - Liberally allows himself another whack even when first shot is findable. "Wait, wait, wait ... gotta hit another."
  15. The Plumb Bobber - The only guy in the group not to notice the foursome behind yelling from the fairway as he lines up his putt for double from every angle imaginable. "Son of a gun, I actually think it goes both ways!"
  16. Yardage Book Guy - Has to walk off every blade of grass before hitting. After contemplating whether a shot is 176 yards or 178, ends up hitting it 150. "Can't decide if it's a hard 7 or a soft 6?"
  17. The Cheat - A sympathetic figure when he pushes his tee shot deep into the woods. Not as sympathetic: When he announces his ball somehow stayed in bounds -- with a clear shot to the green! "Better to be lucky than good."
  18. The Overcelebrater - Treats every holed three footer as if just won the Masters. Has sent multiple playing partners home early thanks to overzealous chest bumping. "Yes SIR!"
  19. Mr. Magoo - The absent-minded member of your group who leaves an assortment of wedges, towels, and clubhead covers scattered throughout the course. "Doggonnit, where did I leave my 56?"
  20. The Christopher Columbus - Doggedly searches for lost balls as if they're encrusted in diamonds. Thinks the rest of the group cares as much as him. "I saw it hooking by this tree, so if we all walk this line ..."
  21. Just Had A Lesson Guy - Always in the midst of a swing overhaul, is awash in new thoughts after a half hour with the assistant pro. "Bear with me guys, Randy has me working on a few things."
  22. The Clueless Dad - Wants to introduce his young son to the joys of golf, even if it means six hours of misery for everyone else. "Hope you don't mind, Justin here is new to the game."
  23. The Vanity Handicapper - Self-proclaimed "12" who has trouble breaking 100. "I don't know what's going on with my swing today."
  24. The Cart Daredevil - Reverts to his inner 13-year-old as soon as he gets behind the wheel of a cart. Has never met a "Cart Path Only" sign that pertains to him. "Man, if only this thing didn't have a governor."
  25. The Raker - Shamelessly gives himself any putt within earshot of the cup, regardless of what's on the line. "I'll just get this out of the way."
  26. The Ansel Adams - Incapable of letting a moment pass without trying to capture the perfect photo, whether it's of a person, hole, or squirrel. "Hang on guys, let's get one by the ball washer."
  27. Rangefinder Guy - Overly reliant on his yardage device, to the extent that he can't fathom anyone navigating a course without it. Painstakingly lasers every shot, no matter the distance. "Wait, I'll give you the exact number."
  28. The Sulker - Even on the most beautiful days, a series of bad swings causes him to withdraw into his own cloud of misery. Will go holes on end without communicating with the rest of the group. "(In audible mumbling to himself.)"
  29. Sunscreen Guy - Combination of long-sleeve shirt, bucket hat and 90 SPF makes you feel your own sun protection efforts are woefully insufficient. "Do me a solid ... can you get the back of my legs."
  30. Overactive Bladder Guy - Only catches fragments of conversations because he's endlessly B lining into woods. "Wow, guess I had too many ice teas."
  31. The Distracted Boyfriend - Usually in the early stages of a relationship, thinks she actually cares that he's hit three straight fairways. "You are such a natural, are you sure it's your first time."
  32. The Color Commentator - Has perfected the art of the Roger Maltbie audible whisper. Likes to narrate your three-footer for double as if the Ryder Cup is at stake. "There's really not a lot in the putt, Johnny, but he's got to get it to the hole."
  33. The Snob - Only slumming at your course because "they're punching the greens at the club." Unfamiliar with the concept of changing shoes in the parking lot. "Looks like our line is ... is that an above ground pool?"
  34. The Fidgeter - Picks the most inopportune moments for ripping velcro of his glove, opening a bag of potato chips, or trying to jam his irons back into his bag. "My bad .... did that bother you?"
  35. The Jinx - Thinks he's being nice by telling you this is the best he's seen you play. Only introduces the notion that it can't last. "Someone's going to break 80 for the first time."
  36. The Rules Nazi - Will call out innocuous violations even in friendly games. Thinks he's doing you a favor by pointing out you're carrying 15 clubs. "No, no ... four in the water, five out, six back in the water ...."

Did I miss any? Let's hear it.

That’s really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other sport (besides running) can I smoke a cigar and exercise at the same time????

I know what I will be doing next time I play with you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you covered them all. Worst of all to me is the sulker, being on a golf course is a privilege and some guys are miserable to be around when golfing.

Those are great. I hate playing with advice guy (Usually tell him to pack sand after the second tip). Rules Nazi is exhausting too. I usually roll my eyes and go into ignore mode with him.

Dang, did you write those? They are hilarious! Well done.

#37 Show up 5 minutes after first tee time guy......playing with a group of guys and then having to split up groups because he can't show up on time.....

38. The Never Ready Guy - Sits in the cart watching everyone else, or fidgeting, or whatever, and doesn't even stand up to pick his club until after everyone else has taken their shots. "Hmmm ... seven or eight iron here? What did you use?"

39. Must Play for Money Guy

Every round and every par 3 must have a bet

"$5 closest to the pin? I'm just a 5 handicap compared to your 19."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

40. The painful pre-shot routine guy. Does he think he's Jason Day standing behind the ball visualizing a giant slice into the words, or is he a narcoleptic that somehow fell asleep standing up? It's an unsolved mystery.

41. Sunflower seed guy who spits shells on the green.

42. The Windmill. Takes so many full practice swings before each shot that they start to affect local wind patterns. "Just like that. That's a good swing. Here we go. Whoops, topped it."

Parking Lot Guy - Color-coordinated outfit, matching logos and oversized tour bag suggest he's played professionally. Topped drive off the first tee suggests otherwise. "These are the same shoes Tiger wears." (I'm guilty of this one sometimes!

Hey, I dress like I shoot in the 70's, talk like I shoot in the 80's, and actually shoot in the 90's. I resemble that statement.

Those are great. I hate playing with advice guy (Usually tell him to pack sand after the second tip). Rules Nazi is exhausting too. I usually roll my eyes and go into ignore mode with him.

Played with one 2 weeks ago in league play. He had already gotten everyone in our group on something and he politely pulled me to the side to tell me I ought to take an extra stroke because I double hit my chip on the last hole. If you are going to be a rules Nazi at least know the new rules. I had to pull the old phone out and USGA his arse.

Last edited:
This one is most common for those of us that play a lot of mid-week afternoon golf.

43. The Most Important Guy At Work - A close relative to Cell Phone Guy, continually takes business calls while playing, walks off to have some privacy for his 5 - 10 minute call.
Important Guy(phone rings): "I have to take this."

You: "No, you don't"

Important Guy: "Yes I do, it's really important!"

You: "Then maybe you should have stayed at the office today!"​

Repeat several times throughout the round.:banghead:

Hahaha these are pretty good.

44. Mr. Oversensitive - Constantly on the lookout for things to be offended or put off by. Can't take a cliche golf joke, much less crack a smile. "Could you quit placing the flag on the green? I won't see our club's logo disrespected like that."

There are some guys you just wish you weren't playing with. Here are a few ... feel free to add your favorite annoying partner.

Did I miss any? Let's hear it.

Yes. You missed "The golfinnut" :alien2:

This one is most common for those of us that play a lot of mid-week afternoon golf.

43. The Most Important Guy At Work - A close relative to Cell Phone Guy, continually takes business calls while playing, walks off to have some privacy for his 5 - 10 minute call.
Important Guy(phone rings): "I have to take this."

You: "No, you don't"

Important Guy: "Yes I do, it's really important!"

You: "Then maybe you should have stayed at the office today!"​

Repeat several times throughout the round.:banghead:

I love that my last course didn’t allow cell phone use anywhere on the course, range, or clubhouse. Parking lot only. Luckily my new club discourages cell phone use so everyone seems to respect it and be very discreet about it. I normally shut mine off or leave it in the car now that I’m retired.

45. The Talker - Runs his mouth nonstop from the 1st tee until the last putt drops on 18.

46. The Loudmouth - Talks so loud to someone 5 feet away from him that he can be clearly heard 3 holes away.

47. The Inconsiderate Guy - Pays no mind that someone may be putting or teeing off on adjacent holes as he races his cart without care for others to his destination.

45. The Talker - Runs his mouth nonstop from the 1st tee until the last putt drops on 18.

46. The Loudmouth - Talks so loud to someone 5 feet away from him that he can be clearly heard 3 holes away.

47. The Inconsiderate Guy - Pays no mind that someone may be putting or teeing off on adjacent holes as he races his cart without care for others to his destination.

I see #47 A LOT!

I had a next door neighbor in California that was “show up in the parking lot right at the tee time guy and insists he’s not late when we all have to wait 6 minutes for him to get to the tee.”
He was awesome to play with but habitually late for everything. Once I told him the tee time was 30 minutes earlier than it actually was and he picked that one day to show up 30 minutes early. He was so pissed when we told him it was a 12:30 and not a 12:00 and especially that we thought it was so funny he had showed up on time for the first time in 5 years, lol!

The other guy missing from this list is “I can spend more money than you on my golf cart guy”. Most of these guys live in a golf course community in Arizona, Vegas, or California.

One of my old neighbors was pissed that he didn’t have the fastest cart anymore so he upgraded the electric motor, wheels, and put lithium ion batteries in his cart at a cost of $7,400 in addition to the $9,600 he had already spent on the cart. I had a total of $3,800 into my same body style EZGO used cart and mine was good for 23 mph, 2mph slower than his.

Back