Have you been threatened on the course?

Acesteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
Maybe strangest thing I have seen personally in 30 years of playing golf. Pace of play was slow as it was cart path only for the riders today. We had not been pressed by anyone and we had not pressed the group in front of us. Hole 14 is a long par 4, the guys in front of us appeared to hit second shots and pulled forward short of the green like someone had hit a poor approach. My group tee'd off and started to walk down the fairway. We were about 50 yards from the tee box when the group in front of us turns around and comes back to the area where they had hit second shots.

We had no idea what they were doing but I assumed they hit a ball OB and were coming back to hit from original spot. Though that makes little sense to me. So we stopped walking about half way to our balls on the fairway to give them space. to my shock one of the guys comes riding toward us telling us we had hit into them. He was belligerent and said we better not do it again. I explained that they were no where in play when we tee'd and they came backwards. He then threatened me again and it happened a ranger was coming by about that time and the guy told the ranger. Probably a good idea as it let his anger out.

The guy's group in front of us looked as a reasonable good golfer so he knows golf norms. I can't figure out if he was drunk, angry about his shot or somehow frustrated with slow pace of play. First time I have ever though about putting a weapon in my golf bag but I don't know what would have happened if the Ranger had not come by.

anyone seen anything like this before? Like road rage but on a golf course. When we hit our ball landed at least 75 if not 100 yards from these guys.

Maybe strangest thing I have seen personally in 30 years of playing golf. Pace of play was slow as it was cart path only for the riders today. We had not been pressed by anyone and we had not pressed the group in front of us. Hole 14 is a long par 4, the guys in front of us appeared to hit second shots and pulled forward short of the green like someone had hit a poor approach. My group tee'd off and started to walk down the fairway. We were about 50 yards from the tee box when the group in front of us turns around and comes back to the area where they had hit second shots.

We had no idea what they were doing but I assumed they hit a ball OB and were coming back to hit from original spot. Though that makes little sense to me. So we stopped walking about half way to our balls on the fairway to give them space. to my shock one of the guys comes riding toward us telling us we had hit into them. He was belligerent and said we better not do it again. I explained that they were no where in play when we tee'd and they came backwards. He then threatened me again and it happened a ranger was coming by about that time and the guy told the ranger. Probably a good idea as it let his anger out.

The guy's group in front of us looked as a reasonable good golfer so he knows golf norms. I can't figure out if he was drunk, angry about his shot or somehow frustrated with slow pace of play. First time I have ever though about putting a weapon in my golf bag but I don't know what would have happened if the Ranger had not come by.

anyone seen anything like this before? Like road rage but on a golf course. When we hit our ball landed at least 75 if not 100 yards from these guys.

Did you or someone in your group hit into the group ahead or not ?

No, thought I made that clear.

They came from near green back to where they played second shots likely 4 minutes after we had tee'd off.

No, thought I made that clear.

They came from near green back to where they played second shots likely 4 minutes after we had tee'd off.

It reads to me like one of your group's golf balls came on to the group ahead, and that is why they were upset. You and your group may not think you hit into them, but they think you did.

I've had confrontations and heard threats before on the course. They rarely make sense and there's usually alcohol involved. If you know you weren't in the wrong maintain proper decorum as long as you can. You never know what's going on with someone else, and what's really behind their anger.

Report bad behavior so any necessary action can be taken. The next person might not be as reasonable as you, and you never know what can happen.

As for a weapon... I tend to think the best weapon against unruly behavior is just keeping your head about you.

somehow I did not write something properly. This is the concept. Assume the group in front of you is on the green on a long par 4, you tee off. Your ball comes to rest at least 100 yards short of the green or in our case were 172 yards short of the green. While you are walking down the fairway they get in the cart from the green and come back toward you like they have lost a head cover or something. Besides in this case, they came back to hit a ball from a similar place where they had hit second shots.

I've had confrontations and heard threats before on the course. They rarely make sense and there's usually alcohol involved. If you know you weren't in the wrong maintain proper decorum as long as you can. You never know what's going on with someone else, and what's really behind their anger.

Report bad behavior so any necessary action can be taken. The next person might not be as reasonable as you, and you never know what can happen.

As for a weapon... I tend to think the best weapon against unruly behavior is just keeping your head about you.

This is what we did. we intentionally delayed and let a 1 hole gap develop between us and them. it is the kind of nothingness moment that can get out of control and change lives forever. No one was at any risk and actually we nor they did anything wrong other then yelling at us. If they wanted to come back and re-hit a ball we had not issue with that.

Could it have been another ball from an adjacent hole that spooked him? We had that last time out. Someone duck hooked a tee shot from a hole ahead of us that was coming back towards us. That hole is elevated from the one we were on by about 30 feet so at first we had no idea where it came from. If someone had been on the tee behind us and we were up by our balls, we would have assumed the group behind did it.

About 10 yrs. ago, we're about 240 yds off tee, standing next to golf cart, a ball slams against the railing on golf cart about 4" from my skull. y yAnd I've been hit in the chest, shagging for golf pros at old L.A. open, know how it feels. The guy drives up and starts yelling at us cause we were in his way. I'm thinking, if this guy doesn't STFU, I'm going to Jack Nicholson his head. He keeps yelling, I grab a club and try to shatter the windshield on his cart, bending the hosel of my club. He shut up. Three holes later, he does it again. I hit the ball back at him over his head, hoping he'll come over and start yelling. (Anyone ever see the scene with Michael Douglas at L.A. country club?/ Falling Down? He retreated, but it can get dangerous out there.

Yes. A guy hit me with a ball. I was in an adjacent fairway. Fore was not yelled.

Guy drives up saying he's going to kick my #ss if I touched his ball.

It was league night, and I play hockey (Minnesota Warriors) with the guy he's playing with. Said guy casually says "Dave was Marine infantry, and fights better than he golfs..... "

Hothead apologized and bought me a beer instead of kicking my @ss.

The funny thing is, there was no way I was throwing down.

The beer was good though. My partner drank it, as I don't drink.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

About 10 yrs. ago, we're about 240 yds off tee, standing next to golf cart, a ball slams against the railing on golf cart about 4" from my skull. y yAnd I've been hit in the chest, shagging for golf pros at old L.A. open, know how it feels. The guy drives up and starts yelling at us cause we were in his way. I'm thinking, if this guy doesn't STFU, I'm going to Jack Nicholson his head. He keeps yelling, I grab a club and try to shatter the windshield on his cart, bending the hosel of my club. He shut up. Three holes later, he does it again. I hit the ball back at him over his head, hoping he'll come over and start yelling. (Anyone ever see the scene with Michael Douglas at L.A. country club?/ Falling Down? He retreated, but it can get dangerous out there.

lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E73RM9gS7bU

I've definitely hit people's balls back at them. Or into the river, or woods, or wherever. Hit into me once, apologize.. okay, no harm done. Hit into me again and F you.

Yikes, I'm not a fan of the stories in this thread.

I was standing on a par 5 today waiting for one of the guys in our group to hit his second shot. A guy on a nearby tee box hooks his tee shot over the pond on its coming my way. I hear fore! followed by the ball landing on the fairway. It rolled to a stop about 20 feet in front of me. I waved at the guys on the tee box and they waved back. Happy to report, most golfers are good people and that's the story I'm sticking with. :angel:

We all would like to think that golfers are a cut above the average Joe but the truth is there are lunatics and drunken idiots everywhere. I would try to hold myself in check and avoid a physical confrontation if at all possible. I would drive off if I had to, I don't want to converse or fight with anybody rolling up on me hot like that.

Yikes, I'm not a fan of the stories in this thread.

I was standing on a par 5 today waiting for one of the guys in our group to hit his second shot. A guy on a nearby tee box hooks his tee shot over the pond on its coming my way. I hear fore! followed by the ball landing on the fairway. It rolled to a stop about 20 feet in front of me. I waved at the guys on the tee box and they waved back. Happy to report, most golfers are good people and that's the story I'm sticking with. :angel:

Most golfers are. I don't consider errant shots as hitting into someone. That can't be helped sometimes. When the person(s) right in front of you on your hole it's more egregious.

Heck. I hit into a guy with his 3 and 4 year old boys today. They were on the red tees on the previous hole. My drive went WAY left over some trees and I couldn't even see where it was going to land. When we were pulling up and saw that's where the red tees are and they were at it, I was horrified and immediately starting apologizing. He was great about it. "No worries. We might have snuck up on you. Skipped a couple holes because the boys are getting tired. Everyone's okay. It's right here (10 feet from where's he standing at most). Looks like you've got a clear shot, tough lie though." And then they stayed to watch me hit it.

Only ran into a few blubbering idiots out on the course. I usually just nod and then laugh when they leave.

Never been threatened, but I have threatened others. Almost happened Sunday after two teenagers hit two consecutive balls feet from us without yelling fore. I'm usually the hothead, but I had to calm my partner down this time. In general I try not to escalate any confrontations because I'm usually armed.

In your case, either another ball from somewhere landed near them, or maybe they thought you were pushing them by hitting while they were heading to the green. You handled it well though.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This idea of threatening people, of standing up for what right and just is crazy. Some people fight like baseball players, some like hockey players, some won’t let up until you’re an inch from death. How are you going to know who your tangling with?
Are folks really willing to risk life and limb over something as stupid as pride or golf?

I was threatened about a month ago. It was surreal, the guy was obviously a maniac and was screaming and ran over my clubs (I was walking with a pull cart). He took off in the cart, so I went to the clubhouse to have them handle it. I am not looking to fight unless it is a life/death situation. Golf doesn’t qualify...yet.

I accidentally hit too close to a group in front of my yesterday. I apologized for the shot, they apologized for the slow play and let me play through, we even shared a laugh about the wannabe pga group that was holding everyone up. I’ve ran into quite a few clowns and characters on the golf course but so far very few AH’s.

I always assume the first time somebody hits into me is an honest mistake. After that, I call the clubhouse and ask them for assistance. If somebody is genuinely playing faster than me they are welcome to go through but the chances are slim given I can play 18 in two hours, two and a half walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm usually the hothead..... I try not to escalate any confrontations because I'm usually armed.

As a CCW permit holder and NRA instructor I can say these two things usually don't mix. I'm glad you carry and are responsible.

I have not. Although you could probably give someone a right proper beating with that Orang Whip that’s in your bag.

Or, if you are a Renaissance man, you could probably use an open slot in your bag for a rapier. Now, THAT would make for an interesting conversation:

”Hey, a**hole!! I’m going to kick your teeth in!”

”Please hold on for a moment, my good man.”

(sshhhnnng)

”You were saying?”

Some crazy stuff in here. I'm also of the belief that potentially life altering consequences are possible whenever these things escalate so it's simply not worth the risk. I've always tried to diffuse the situation on the rare times I've seen them begin escalate.
Was involved in one several years back that I remember well. A par 5 followed by a par 4 coming back in opposite direction. Huge fairway bunker between them to help prevent hooks from either tee from reaching adjacent fairway, it's jail on the par 5. We're on the par 4 and see guy playing the par 5 duff a ball that just barely gets out of that trap. He starts screaming at us, stuff like 'EFFING rake your bunkers you EFFING AHOLES' as we calmly try to let him know it wasn't us. One of my buddies quipped something like 'ya we all decided not to hit it in there' which got a chuckle from the guys he was with and angry guy completely lost it. He was still holding the rake so he reared back and tried to whirly-bird it at us. While the rake fell way short, his momentum caused him to fall into the trap and roll almost to the bottom. Hilarious, both groups now laughing hard. He climbs out covered with sand yanks his clubs off the cart and walks off over the hill toward the parking lot dropping FBombs at everyone. Of course he neglected to rake the bunker...lol.

It is unfortunate that it happens from time to time. I like to stay in my lane and go about my round; I've been threatened by people that are usually having bad rounds. It seems barbaric.

This idea of threatening people, of standing up for what right and just is crazy. Some people fight like baseball players, some like hockey players, some won’t let up until you’re an inch from death. How are you going to know who your tangling with?
Are folks really willing to risk life and limb over something as stupid as pride or golf?

I agree with you. it is very possible to be in the right and loose because someone has a gun, temper, drunk or all of the above. think about road rage events that are otherwise non-comprehendible. It did put a damper on our round and that's is unfortunate as myself and one of my playing partners had another-wise outstanding round. My 75 year old father walked the front 9 with us and had departed by the time this unfortunate drama unfolded.

Back