Have you been threatened on the course?

Yeah I’ve had a couple. There was a long thread about mine last year. I didn’t act properly, but they didn’t either. We got stuck behind the slowest 4some in history. We never saw them until hole 6. It’s a par 4 and they were clearing the green as we arrived to the tee box. We played 6 and they were just leaving 7’s tee box as we pulled up to it. Not sure how an entire hole can be played before 4 guys can hit tee shots, but it was. By the time we reached 7’s green (30minutes later-another par 4) we could see there wasn’t another group on the front so they weren’t waiting on anyone.

It became apparent that we weren’t going to have enough light when we were in 8’s fairway to finish so I yelled up to them (yes I’ve admitted I was wrong and took my beating back then so no need to beat me again, unless you missed your chance last time then go ahead, lol) “hey can you either hurry up or let us through? We’re running out of light”

That was enough for one of them to throw his putter and charge at me (from 185 yards away). One of the others in his group did the “hold me back bro” routine with him and he stopped. I was with my kids, I wasn’t even playing they were and I was frustrated at their 30 minute a hole pace (yes it really was that, not exaggerating).

As to the weapon thing, I have a CCW but I don’t carry while golfing. I’ve been known to have an adult beverage or four on the course and sometimes will even if not planning on it initially. So in that case it’s illegal so I never have carried on the course. I recently stopped drinking altogether, at least for now due to medication interactions. So I guess I could carry on the course now, but probably still won’t.

FYI I was NOT drinking when the above incident occurred. Pretty sure the group in front of us was, heavily.

I was a little worried that JB might come after me when I hit a hybrid at him at the THP Bridgestone Championship at Firestone, lol.

He didn’t btw. :)

I think slow play can be a bit like bad traffic in regards to rage and non-rational stuff. it was clear to me that the slow play yesterday was caused by several groups in front of us and I think for that reasons I never felt any mental fatigue because pace was way outside my control and that of the group in front of us.

To those mentioning carrying a defensive weapon, please remember that one can afford to have a temper OR one can afford to carry a gun, but absolutely nobody can afford both

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I think slow play can be a bit like bad traffic in regards to rage and non-rational stuff. it was clear to me that the slow play yesterday was caused by several groups in front of us and I think for that reasons I never felt any mental fatigue because pace was way outside my control and that of the group in front of us.

I agree with you. I get frustrated at times, but never to the point of a physical confrontation. I shared the story earlier in the thread and I was very close to fighting. I am 48 and haven’t brawled in a while and I am glad it didn’t transpire. Life can change in an instant when things like that happen. Lawsuits, criminal charges, medical problems or running into a guy with a gun. I wish people would take time and realize that 99.9% of situations are not worth going berserk. Take a breath and enjoy the moment. Just don’t hit into me or we will have problems :).

To those mentioning carrying a defensive weapon, please remember that one can afford to have a temper OR one can afford to carry a gun, but absolutely nobody can afford both

Can’t agree with that enough. Also as I mentioned in my big long post that no one will probably read, you can’t touch alcohol if you are carrying.

I don’t really have a temper, but I avoid anything that could possibly upset someone when I’m carrying. Had I been carrying the day my incident happened on the course last year I’d have never said what I said, as it certainly wasn’t the right way to go about it.

I did read Smiter! thank you

alcohol makes me tired not angry or energetic and for this reason I don't recall ever having a drink on a golf course. I wait until we are done and it helps my one good hole feel more satisfying:banghead: I've only had this one person get angry in over 30 more years of golf and for reasons I can't understand. Hoping I can go 30 more without any drama then I will be lucky to be able to play at all

I came close to a fist fight with a guy twice my age on a course when I was in college but cooler heads prevailed. He accused me of hitting into him when it was an errant shot from another hole. He was very drunk and I had 3 or 4 beers in me. My buddy stopped me from initiating contact which was the smart thing.

I have witnessed punches thrown between other groups of golfer only once that I can remember.

People who carry already know this. Carrying a firearm is a daily facet of life. It isn't strange. Most are well trained and constantly training. For every time I go to a driving range I go or teach at a shooting range. It doesn't change your presence of mind by any sense on the golf course or in the grocery store or anywhere else.

I don't carry on the course because it isn't practical and I don't practice pulling it out of a golf bag in a high adrenaline situation. One must be prepared for anything but if you don't situational practice then probably should keep it locked in the car.

What is sad is how people act on the course when someone doesn't say fore. The assumption is always bad instead of maybe the person didn't see you or have the chance to yell. People who have tempers also shouldn't be on the course. Far too often I see people get upset because a ball is trickling 30 yards away. No chance for harm but its an excuse to take out frustrations because they are bad at golf.

At a public driving range the other day a guy would mutter a swear word after every hit. Must have said something 70 times and slammed his club each time. These are people who shouldn't be in public let alone be playing a game of imperfection.

Last edited:
Not many people threaten me.

People who carry already know this. Carrying a firearm is a daily facet of life. It isn't strange. Most are well trained and constantly training. For every time I go to a driving range I go or teach at a shooting range. It doesn't change your presence of mind by any sense on the golf course or in the grocery store or anywhere else.

I don't carry on the course because it isn't practical and I don't practice pulling it out of a golf bag in a high adrenaline situation. One must be prepared for anything but if you don't situational practice then probably should keep it locked in the car.

Yep. Been carrying going on 20 years. It's a lot of work and responsibility.

I've never been one to carry on the course. But last year I was accosted by a pit bull on the 9th hole while walking. I at least will have a knife on me, but only for dogs never for people.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yep. Been carrying going on 20 years. It's a lot of work and responsibility.

I've never been one to carry on the course. But last year I was accosted by a pit bull on the 9th hole while walking. I at least will have a knife on me, but only for dogs never for people.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Correct, or at least in Ohio. We have some of the worst knife laws in the country and it is NEVER legal even if you have a CCW to carry a knife for self defense. It can be used as a weapon of opportunity if you are attacked, but it’s always illegal for it to be carried for self defense. It always has to be a tool of some sort for you to carry one in Ohio. You are far better from a legal standpoint to have a CCW and lawfully defend yourself by using a gun than using a knife.

Also, Pilot25 makes great points. Most that carry take it seriously and go above and beyond their initial training requirements. They also practice, not only at a shooting range (or their backyard depending), but drawing from their area of concealement and firing from there. I’ve never placed one in my golf bag but if I were to, I would certainly practice getting it out and into action. It would be a bit of a pain to carry as I normally would, concealed in my clothes while golfing. I guess if I ever felt my or mostly my kids lives were in danger I’ve got 14 weapons at arms reach anyways. At minimum:)

Acesteve-thanks for reading, lol. I think most folks eyes just gloss over when I post:)

Yikes, I'm not a fan of the stories in this thread.

I was standing on a par 5 today waiting for one of the guys in our group to hit his second shot. A guy on a nearby tee box hooks his tee shot over the pond on its coming my way. I hear fore! followed by the ball landing on the fairway. It rolled to a stop about 20 feet in front of me. I waved at the guys on the tee box and they waved back. Happy to report, most golfers are good people and that's the story I'm sticking with. :angel:

Yup! I’ve met way more good folks by far than jerks. But play enough, you’ll encounter some jerks. You folks get such a short season up there, y’all are probably just happy to be out on a course at all instead of running the snowblower, lol.

Correct, or at least in Ohio. We have some of the worst knife laws in the country and it is NEVER legal even if you have a CCW to carry a knife for self defense. It can be used as a weapon of opportunity if you are attacked, but it’s always illegal for it to be carried for self defense. It always has to be a tool of some sort for you to carry one in Ohio. You are far better from a legal standpoint to have a CCW and lawfully defend yourself by using a gun than using a knife.

Also, Pilot25 makes great points. Most that carry take it seriously and go above and beyond their initial training requirements. They also practice, not only at a shooting range (or their backyard depending), but drawing from their area of concealement and firing from there. I’ve never placed one in my golf bag but if I were to, I would certainly practice getting it out and into action. It would be a bit of a pain to carry as I normally would, concealed in my clothes while golfing. I guess if I ever felt my or mostly my kids lives were in danger I’ve got 14 weapons at arms reach anyways. At minimum:)

Acesteve-thanks for reading, lol. I think most folks eyes just gloss over when I post:)

I'm in Alabama (where little is forbidden) and I think we can carry any knife except for carrying concealed bowie style knives. I don't practice drawing my pistol from my golf bag, but I doubt I would have time to get to anyway if attacked by a dog. Between my playing partner and myself, someone should be able to get to it. It's only one course that I'm armed because we've had pit bull problems. If it was another breed I'd think a golf club would suffice, but pits are relentless.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I shared this in another thread but it fits here...

In July I was fortunate to play a round at Spyglass in Monterey.

I asked the caddy if he had any good stories. He said that a few weeks back he was in the fairway with his group when a ball came rolling past. It wouldn't have done any damage, and they were 300+ from the box, so he figured someone just hit the drive of their life and was gonna let it go.

One of his players got all hot and fired up and they had this exchange:

Hot Head: WTF is that? That guy hit into us.

Caddy: We're a long ways out, he probably just hit one better than he usually does.

Hot Head: I'm gonna go talk to that guy.

Caddy: <looks back to the box> Ya know, sir, I understand you're upset, but let's play on. I'm sure they didn't mean it.

Hot Head: Bullsh!t, I'm gonna go give him a piece of my mind. <starts walking>

Caddy: OK, you go tell Oscar de la Hoya not to hit into you again. He's the guy who hit it. Plays here often. We'll wait for you here. Let us know how it goes.

I wonder if it is any better in a private club where hot heads are asked to leave?

I've made an angry verbal warning to someone in January.
The hole is 260 yards. Easily reachable if you hit it straight enough. Also, there's usually wind behind you so it doesn't only take long hitters to reach.
I was with 3 of my buddies putting on the green of that hole.
One of the guys behind our group hit a tee shot that flew right by one of my buddies head. The guy didn't yell fore, no motion... just sat there and watch his ball fly by. They where driving up the fairway and I drove up to them and yelled, "That was one hell of a drive; don't ever F-ING do it again!" and drove away.

I wonder if it is any better in a private club where hot heads are asked to leave?
It's been my experience that it is better.

One of the guys behind our group hit a tee shot that flew right by one of my buddies head. The guy didn't yell fore, no motion... just sat there and watch his ball fly by.

If the hitter could see that his ball was going to miss your buddy, it's best that he not yell fore (because your buddy might have moved into the path of the ball).

If the hitter could see that his ball was going to miss your buddy, it's best that he not yell fore (because your buddy might have moved into the path of the ball).

That’s a big IF. Ok, What IF the ball hits him?
It’s better to yell fore so we can take cover or whatever action we need to take rather than get blind sided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a big IF. Ok, What IF the ball hits him?
It’s better to yell fore so we can take cover or whatever action we need to take rather than get blind sided.

Nope. If the hitter can clearly see his ball will miss a person, he should not yell fore. For example, I remember a shot a guy in my group hit from a short par 4 tee box. It was probably a 320 yard carry to the front of the green, where the flag was that day, and this guy crushed his tee shot right at the flag.
None of us yelled fore because we could see there was a guy on the green putting a 5 footer and that the ball was going to miss him. Had we yelled fore he easily could have moved to where he would be struck , as the ball carried a few feet to the side of him. It was scary moment, for sure, which I still remember well even though it happened nearly ten years ago. Why did this long bomber hit in the first place ? It was first time playing the course, none of us knew him (or how long he could hit a ball), he was on the tee box playing before any of us realized what was happening. Me and the others knew it was a short hole but we were accustomed to well struck drives landing at least 50 yards short of the green and then at best bouncing and rolling to about 20 yards short of the front edge,
Why take the risk of someone moving into the path of the ball ? It's true the person/group ahead will likely be very upset that nobody yelled fore, but that's a better outcome then someone moving into the path of the ball.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I probably had it coming through.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nope. If the hitter can clearly see his ball will miss a person, he should not yell fore. For example, I remember a shot a guy in my group hit from a short par 4 tee box. It was probably a 320 yard carry to the front of the green, where the flag was that day, and this guy crushed his tee shot right at the flag.
None of us yelled fore because we could see there was a guy on the green putting a 5 footer and that the ball was going to miss him. Had we yelled fore he easily could have moved to where he would be struck , as the ball carried a few feet to the side of him. It was scary moment, for sure, which I still remember well even though it happened nearly ten years ago. Why did this long bomber hit in the first place ? It was first time playing the course, none of us knew him (or how long he could hit a ball), he was on the tee box playing before any of us realized what was happening. Me and the others knew it was a short hole but we were accustomed to well struck drives landing at least 50 yards short of the green and then at best bouncing and rolling to about 20 yards short of the front edge,
Why take the risk of someone moving into the path of the ball ? It's true the person/group ahead will likely be very upset that nobody yelled fore, but that's a better outcome then someone moving into the path of the ball.

Oook... so for my example, the ball went by his head by a few feet. Your vision is so good that you’ll know if you’ll miss or not? Worth taking the chance of hitting a person at a good velocity?
F*ck,... I hope you never come close to hitting someone. I’d hate to be you when you do hit someone when you could’ve prevent it from happening.

Threatened by lightning at PGA West, Nicklaus. Was 4 under after 12 and Ranger kicked us off course. And he was absolutely right, but I didn't want to leave.

Back