Have you been threatened on the course?

Nope. If the hitter can clearly see his ball will miss a person, he should not yell fore. For example, I remember a shot a guy in my group hit from a short par 4 tee box. It was probably a 320 yard carry to the front of the green, where the flag was that day, and this guy crushed his tee shot right at the flag.
None of us yelled fore because we could see there was a guy on the green putting a 5 footer and that the ball was going to miss him. Had we yelled fore he easily could have moved to where he would be struck , as the ball carried a few feet to the side of him. It was scary moment, for sure, which I still remember well even though it happened nearly ten years ago. Why did this long bomber hit in the first place ? It was first time playing the course, none of us knew him (or how long he could hit a ball), he was on the tee box playing before any of us realized what was happening. Me and the others knew it was a short hole but we were accustomed to well struck drives landing at least 50 yards short of the green and then at best bouncing and rolling to about 20 yards short of the front edge,
Why take the risk of someone moving into the path of the ball ? It's true the person/group ahead will likely be very upset that nobody yelled fore, but that's a better outcome then someone moving into the path of the ball.

When I hear “Fore” my first instinct is to protect my head. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone move from their position when they hear it, unless they can see it coming. I don’t understand how giving someone a warning that there is a potentially deadly object headed there way could do any harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oook... so for my example, the ball went by his head by a few feet. Your vision is so good that you’ll know if you’ll miss or not? Worth taking the chance of hitting a person at a good velocity?
F*ck,... I hope you never come close to hitting someone. I’d hate to be you when you do hit someone when you could’ve prevent it from happening.

Not just my vision. The other three guys on the tee box, including the guy who struck the tee shot, all watched in horror as this 300 plus yard carry shot was heading towards the flag. There was one player putting from about 5 feet, and the other three players were standing near him watching him putt.
All of us on the tee box could see that the path of this ball would be close, but not hit anyone. Had any of us yelled fore, the guy putting or his partners could have easily moved within the path of the ball. My best guess is that the ball missed the guy putting by 3 or 4 feet. The ball mark on the green was about 10 feet past the flag.

When I hear “Fore” my first instinct is to protect my head. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone move from their position when they hear it, unless they can see it coming. I don’t understand how giving someone a warning that there is a potentially deadly object headed there way could do any harm.

Consider that when they hear "fore" some people move to the left or right, backwards or forwards. It happens.

Consider that when they hear "fore" some people move to the left or right, backwards or forwards. It happens.

It’s a ridiculous assumption that no one on the green would’ve moved 3 or 4 feet in the time it took for a ball to travel 300+ yards or that by a warning, someone would’ve jumped in the line of the ball.

If I heard a warning and got hit a few seconds later, sh*t happens, at least I protected my head. If I get hit without a warning, looked back and saw someone tracking it from the tee box, I’d be furious.

Put yourself in the vulnerable person’s shoes who has no idea... a ball flies right by your head with some speed...
You’re telling me, you wouldn’t be pissed if the ball almost hit you? Potentially injuring you?

Again, I hope that you never hit a person with a golf ball; when you do, you could’ve potentially prevent it by yelling fore.
I don’t get your logic. I thought it was common sense... oh wait, common sense is dead these days.

Not just my vision. The other three guys on the tee box, including the guy who struck the tee shot, all watched in horror as this 300 plus yard carry shot was heading towards the flag. There was one player putting from about 5 feet, and the other three players were standing near him watching him putt.
All of us on the tee box could see that the path of this ball would be close, but not hit anyone. Had any of us yelled fore, the guy putting or his partners could have easily moved within the path of the ball. My best guess is that the ball missed the guy putting by 3 or 4 feet. The ball mark on the green was about 10 feet past the flag.
Claiming that a ball struck from over 300 yards away and landing within one yard of a person yet you and your group could clearly see that it would miss him, is patently ridiculous. And "all watched in horror" but the defense is that to yell fore may have caused the person to move from the 3' or 4' of safety that you and your group had determined was enough for him? Even more ridiculous.

The odds are always in favor of a miss but a miss by one yard over the visual expanse of more than 300? Ball in flight, there was nothing at all clear about that outcome.

You hit a ball that looks like it could go near someone, even if you're blind and can't see anyone, then you shout. No ifs, no buts, no maybes. That was drilled into me from day 1, there is no excuse for doing anything other. From 300 yards away, you have no idea if you are going to be 5 yards from someone then you should have shouted, absolutely no question.

And speaking as someone from the UK, it is crazy to hear all this talk about practicing pulling weapons from golf bags etc. I can't even comprehend that being something that anyone would have to even consider!

If you hit a ball in the vicinity of another person yell fore... is that simple and the right thing to do. If a ball whistled past me without warning because someone was "confident" it would miss me, I would be mighty pissed! That's how injuries and/or altercations occur.

if you are anywhere near someone I think you have to yell. Even if you were right and it was 30 yards from them and they saw it, they and I would be upset. four is both a warning and a courtesy.

I am all for not yelling fore when you know it will miss by like 20 yards. 5 feet yell fore

DG_1234;n8624704 said:

No offense, but you and your group were all wrong to not yell fore in that instance. The ball missed by three to four feet, and you don't think that warranted a warning to the group ahead?

A buddy of mine had just boomed yet another drive down the middle of the fairway on the 16th hole. Not for the first or second time that round I exclaimed, "You have hit every single fairway today. It's like you can't miss".

He brandished his driver and said if I didn't quit trying to jinx him he was going to brain me with it. But I don't think he really would have done.

In any case, he hit it in the woods on the next hole.

Never threatened. But one time friends and I were playing in a local handicap tourney when there was a crash behind us. I turned around to see a car crashed into the barrier protecting the tee box. The car backed up and then started to pull forward and crashed again. By this time we were getting away from the tee box when a guy stuck his head out of the car and yelled, "Where is the nearest hospital, I have been shot." We told him, asked him if we needed to call an ambulance. He said, "Hell No!" and drove off. We shrugged and continued our round. My wife will not allow me to play at the course anymore! LOL

well I've been out 2 times with zero drama since the crazy guy threatened me. Something we do that I recommend to all is not think of the average drive but think of the absolute best case. Number 5 Saturday was 311 up hill. On flat ground my group hits 250 tops. My buddie hit a lifetime best 280 and was just short of the green. On this hole we always let the group get on the green before we tee off even thought 99% of the time they are safe when 50 yards out. Had we hit before they got on the green they would have been rightfully upset. We would have yelled but they likely would not hear us. They would have no way of knowing we are old hacks who do well with 235 drive.

ohthehumanity;n8874850 said:
No offense, but you and your group were all wrong to not yell fore in that instance. The ball missed by three to four feet, and you don't think that warranted a warning to the group ahead?

When one is certain the ball will miss a player, why yell and risk having the player accidentally move into the ball's path ?
I understand there are people who think "always yell fore" makes good sense, but that does not make it true.
Our group was absolutely right to not yell fore......If we had chances are good someone would have moved into the path of the golf ball. And the group on the green was not upset. They understood what happened and why nobody yelled fore.

DG_1234;n8875028 said:
When one is certain the ball will miss a player, why risk having the player accidentally move into the ball's path ?
I understand there are people who think "always yell fore" makes good sense, but that does not make it true.
Our group was absolutely right not not yell fore......If we had chances are good someone would have moved into the path of the golf ball. And the group on the green was not upset, they understood what happened and why nobody yelled fore.

It also doesn’t make it not true.

Um.... I have been threatened by a Canadian Goose before, but not a human being!

I remember a nasty Canadian Goose in the #2 hole (a nice easy 173 yd Par 3 hole, over water), and the {expletive} thing wouldn't move! It hissed at you, chased you off with its wings spread out, etc... Don't know what its problem was, but, we eventually got close enough to tee off and get off that Par 3 hole! :bulgy-eyes:

DG_1234;n8875028 said:
When one is certain the ball will miss a player, why yell and risk having the player accidentally move into the ball's path ?
Our group was absolutely right to not yell fore......If we had chances are good someone would have moved into the path of the golf ball. And the group on the green was not upset. They understood what happened and why nobody yelled fore.

I respectfully disagree with this.
Fore should always be yelled as a warning.
What if you misjudged the ball flight and killed someone?
I seriously doubt if fore is yelled, that someone is going to run a bug pattern and move into the path of the ball.
If you hit a ball close enough for someone to hear your yell and then move into the path of the ball, then they needed to be warned.
Better to be safe than sorry.

DG_1234;n8875028 said:

The problem is that as soon as the ball was struck and determined to be on a trajectory that could remotely get close to someone, fore should have been yelled. Let’s just say that moment is when the ball is halfway to the green. It is impossible to determine that the ball would miss by a mere three feet when it is over 150 yards out and airborne. Your group was completely in the wrong.

butchammon;n8875040 said:
Um.... I have been threatened by a Canadian Goose before, but not a human being!

I remember a nasty Canadian Goose in the #2 hole (a nice easy 173 yd Par 3 hole, over water), and the {expletive} thing wouldn't move! It hissed at you, chased you off with its wings spread out, etc... Don't know what its problem was, but, we eventually got close enough to tee off and get off that Par 3 hole! :bulgy-eyes:

If you got a problem with Canada Gooses, then you got a problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate. Anyone?

TheHeez;n8875299 said:
If you got a problem with Canada Gooses, then you got a problem with me and I suggest you let that one marinate.

I've noticed walking down the path of my life, usually in the deepest and darkest and saddest times, that there's always one set of footprints in the sand, and they're webbed.

Closest I've ever come to feeling "threatened" on the golf course was many years ago. I was on the par 5 13th at my usual club, Rancocas. It's in the middle of a suburban town and there are houses along many of the holes. A lady in a robe and slippers opened the sliding door to the back patio and a fairly good sized Rottweiler bolted past her and headed straight for me! It was making this kind of Urrf-Urrf-Urrf sound as it ran. I had an iron in one hand and my golf umbrella in the other. I dropped the iron, took a stance and as the dog got about 20 yards away, I popped it open. Satan, or whatever his name was, just about turned himself inside out and STREAKED!! back home with me chasing after him popping my umbrella and yelling all the way. Lady in the bathrobe just looked at me, didn't even say a word...

I have... a tee shot hit the cart path and shot like 100 yards onto a different tee box but regardless of my "fore" it was too far for them to hear. They were pissed, dude came at me with a club regardless of the fact that all I said was "hey, sorry about that fellas". He must have been having a tough day.

When I hear “fore” I almost instinctively bring up my elbow closest to the tee as my kickboxing instructor taught me to cover up (hand over ear so arm protects my temple), and if the shout sounds close enough, I’ll squat down to be a smaller target and get my other hand over my head. After being airlifted after a bike crash at VIR, I got a thing about massive head trauma, and after seeing a fast pitch softball pitcher take a line drive on the chin, I worry about my face too (admittedly I’m not very good at being a girl, but I do reserve the right for occasional moments of girlie vanity). I’m in the yell every time camp here, obviously.

Reading this thread makes playing as a single - especially as a short single woman - sound terrifying. Luckily the percentages win out. As there are nearly 8 billion people on the planet, there really aren’t that many true sociopaths in the world, so the chances of meeting one on the golf course is pretty darn slim. Everyone has a bad day of course, and alcohol is a mitigating factor in a surprising number of violent crimes. And the hyper competitive nature of some golfers probably contributes too.

But to date, never been threatened on a golf course. Off the golf course, I got stories for days.

I guess I could be on the other end of the spectrum. Just last weekend, playing with Mrs Nut, a guy in a twosome behind us, hit into us Twice. After the second time, I politely told him to stop hitting into us with 2 4-somes in front of us, there was nowhere to go. He said "Ok" but I then said "don't let it happen again." So was that actually a threat? Not sure. But he didn't do it again the rest of the round. In fact, after 9 holes, he stopped off and didn't start again for a few holes

Back