Have you been threatened on the course?

golfinnut;n8875515 said:
After the second time, I politely told him to stop hitting into us with 2 4-somes in front of us, there was nowhere to go. He said "Ok" but I then said "don't let it happen again." So was that actually a threat? Not sure.

Yes, I would say that was a threat.

When I played this past Sunday, played the back 9 with a father son twosome. The son was of high school age and on one particular hole which was about a 350 yard par 4, we saw the foursome ahead of us heading on to the green. The kid hit his tee shot knowing he wouldn't get close to them. Well, one lady that we could not see was at about 300 yards out and his shot got within about 30 yards of her. One of the guys had some words with his dad as we approached the green of the hole.

vdubtx;n8875566 said:
Yes, I would say that was a threat.

When I played this past Sunday, played the back 9 with a father son twosome. The son was of high school age and on one particular hole which was about a 350 yard par 4, we saw the foursome ahead of us heading on to the green. The kid hit his tee shot knowing he wouldn't get close to them. Well, one lady that we could not see was at about 300 yards out and his shot got within about 30 yards of her. One of the guys had some words with his dad as we approached the green of the hole.

Question is, did you notice that they had a 4-some before teeing off? Did you count the number of players heading to the green? "Hey, where is the 4th person?" If not, I wouldn't have hit yet. So ... I believe he had every right to say something. I would have for sure.

golfinnut;n8875570 said:
Question is, did you notice that they had a 4-some before teeing off? Did you count the number of players heading to the green? "Hey, where is the 4th person?" If not, I wouldn't have hit yet. So ... I believe he had every right to say something. I would have for sure.

No doubt that I agree with you. I know I saw 2 carts heading to green, but not how many people were in them.

Not me, but I have a buddy who had a gun pulled on him...He was hit into and it hit in his cart while he was sitting in the middle of the fairway. He got out, pulled a club and hit it back into the offending group. That group then arrived and one person pulled a .45. Both sides were wrong in that case and it could have ended horribly.

I've been on both sides of it lately. There was a ladies group ahead of us and we had been waiting quite some time. They finished up on the green and went to their carts...I severely misjudged the carry of my PW (I've only been in Colorado for about 2 months, still figuring out distances at elevation) and hit it over the green. I expected them to be gone as I addressed the ball as soon as they got in their carts, but they were loitering around a bit. I hit one of their carts. I screamed fore and hopped in my cart to go apologize profusely but they started screaming at me and threw my ball back at me. Granted, it was a complete accident and I wanted a chance to apologize and explain, but I would have been really mad too. Similarly, I've been very, very careful off the tee over the years when I'm hitting driver. My "best case scenario" makes my tee box wait a bit long but I don't want to hit anyone.

On the other end, I was hit about a week ago. The ball came flying over a blind hill and hit the hydro flask water bottle in my cup holder, ricocheted between my legs and out of the cart. I was simply happy to be ok. The guy drove up immediately and apologized for hitting it blind and for slicing it like crazy (I was off the fairway in the rough waiting for my partner to hit). I accepted the apology and moved on...but I would have loved it if he'd known to scream fore. I nearly shat myself...

I think the hard thing to remember is that we're all amateurs and very few people could intentionally hit another cart or person at distance if they tried. No ill intent is there...or there shouldn't be. There are obvious scenarios where good judgement and common sense come into play however. It is hard to deescalate when you've nearly taken a golf ball to the head or body.

Kind of...

My buddy is notorious for talking when it's his turn. So we are on the tee box, he tees up his ball, turns around and starts talking to the guys. So I hit his ball into the woods next to the box. He may have chased me down the fairway after that, but I was laughing the entire time.

Joked aside, there are some effing lunatics on golf courses.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4some cleared the green and I hit into it. Pulled the shot a little. They come back over the hill to start yelling at me that even though they were on the next tee box the ball nearly hit them. I skipped the hole they were playing and moved on with life. It was weird since they weren't on the hole any more and the ball landed maybe 40+ yards away from them but they still freaked out. Really been the only time I've been threatened on the golf course.

When I've been hit into and think they are clearly in the wrong (I'm on the green putting and they hit their shot into the green) I just call the clubhouse. If you mess up that bad likely you are drunk and I dont want to deal with it. Otherwise if they run up and say my bad didnt see you I will brush it off and finish up my round.

I've had to talk down playing partners hitting into slow groups. Yes it sucks that the 4some in front of us takes 20 minutes + per hole but hitting into them wont speed it up.

Generally speaking if I know I just messed up and hit into you because you were in the treeline or behind a ridge I will go forward and apologize. Most people are good with that and calm down quickly when they see it's a mistake and the offending party comes to them to apologize.

Back