What part of the game are you best at? High handicappers in particular?

Short game, including putting tends to save my scores. I am getting better at approach shots with my new TM R7s. Looking to see the handicap start to fall.

Strengths: Driving and long irons.

Weakness: short iron approach shots and short game

Medium: Putting.

I use Arccos, not sure if that is the same app as you. What I've kind of always wondered is where does a 40-50 yard pitch land? Is that considered an approach shot, or a short game shot? We sound pretty similar actually.

I wish I could suck more at putting, short game and have approach/drive. I just find bad off the tees shots to be SOOOOO detrimental. You can pitch, chip or putt bad and yes it'll add a stroke or 2, but it's not near as frustrating as ripping a ball so far right that's it's just completely unplayable.

I have used Arccos briefly but it's been a while. I think they reckon anything within 50 yards or less is "chipping" while outside 50 yards is "approach". But I may be remembering wrong. Game Golf cuts it off at 100 yards I think.

I'm currently taking a break from keeping records of my rounds (it was too depressing ;-) but when I do keep stats I use the Golfmetrics app and manually enter distances and details for each shot, after the round.

According to GHIN 'averages/similar golfers' breakdown my strongest attribute, by far, is hitting more greens and more fairways than similar golfers. I'm getting about 2.3 more of each per round. Other strengths would be that I'm significantly less prone to blow up holes than my handicap suggests and I play the par 3s well, about 1/4 stroke lower than average. I'm also just above average for up/down and sand save percentage.

Putting is still my biggest weakness despite all the work I put into it. Much better then a couple years ago but I still average more putts/hole, putts/GIR, 3 putts, and fewer 1 putts than my cap suggests. I also average slightly more penalty strokes than the norm (0.74 vs 0.66) and my driver distance is just below average (-2 yards).

I am the opposite of yourself in at least one regard. I am a 17 hcp who makes triple or worse far more often than usual for a 17 hcp. I haven't done this exercise in a while but I once went back to my last 20 rounds and calculated if all my triple-or-worse holes were double bogies I'd reduce my handicap by 3 or 4 strokes. Which is a lot considering that my best rounds (mid-80's) typically have no blowup holes and that only the best 10 of 20 rounds count toward my handicap.

It is not unusual for me to have a round where I shoot something like 96 with six or seven pars which means I *averaged* worse than double bogey on the remaining ten or eleven holes. Yikes!

I am the opposite of yourself in at least one regard. I am a 17 hcp who makes triple or worse far more often than usual for a 17 hcp. I haven't done this exercise in a while but I once went back to my last 20 rounds and calculated if all my triple-or-worse holes were double bogies I'd reduce my handicap by 3 or 4 strokes. Which is a lot considering that my best rounds (mid-80's) typically have no blowup holes and that only the best 10 of 20 rounds count toward my handicap.

It is not unusual for me to have a round where I shoot something like 96 with six or seven pars which means I *averaged* worse than double bogey on the remaining ten or eleven holes. Yikes!
If you're a 17 handicap, then you shouldn't be tracking anything above 7 toward your handicap anyway. So, if those triples are in par 5 holes or the "worse" are 8 or more, you should be adjusting those scores for handicap purposes anyway.

I shot a 90 on saturday, but it'll go down as an 84 for the handicap. Yeah, the "worse" were very bad that time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Matters what day it is for the best and worst part of my game. Lately it has been getting GIR. I get off a good tee shot and am just off on my approach which leads to bunkers or short green side chips. I have been getting out of bunkers ok, which is good as I seem to be in one every couple of holes lately. But it is still an additional shot and I am not good enough to recover from an additional shot.

I'm not a high capper currently but I can tell you that when my chipping and putting improved my scores started dropping quickly. Very close was improving my tee game so I wasn't knocking the ball in the water or OB so much and killing myself with extra strokes.

EVERYTHING!! WHY??? Well, if it's driving round 1 then it's chipping round 2, then putting round 3 and then irons round 4, but none of them show up together

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EVERYTHING!! WHY??? Well, if it's driving round 1 then it's chipping round 2, then putting round 3 and then irons round 4, but none of them show up together

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is my exact scenario lately it just all does not come together at one time yet!

Scrambling around the green for me.

As a high handicapper, many of my approach shots are pin high-ish but off the green laterally. Sometimes significantly.

Yesterday I carded five up and downs in my round out of these situations. Unfortunately 3 of them only saved bogey :laugh:

Definitely around the greens for myself as well. I was a very good billiards player back in the day so I'm comfortable reading angles, envisioning bounces and ricochets .

Back