The unofficial "Rake and replace" rule in the foot print bunker

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
So the other day one the players in my 4some is in the fairway bunker but in a deep footprint. His buddy says "rake and replace". Got me thinking how many you do this. Think I have done maybe like twice ever in all the years playing when the footprint was so bad there was just no chance. Other then that rarest time or two Ive done it I simply just deal with it. It sucks but I figure I shouldn't have hit it into the bunker and so this is what i got.

We often complain of unraked bunkers on the forum. And much like those who move the ball from divots or tree roots (both being famous THP discussions) I wonder how many you do the "Rake/Replace" thing when in the unfair situation of anothers deep footprint in the bunker.

As said I recall maybe twice ever doing it. Normally I just deal wit the unfairness and so be it. But watching this the other day I can see the idea being somewhat justifiable especially if the scenario is very bad.

I can understand the thought behind it but I have never done it. I just deal with it. And I have been in some doozies before too ... especially in greenside bunkers.

Most people either don't care or they need a lesson in how to rake bunkers. Rake not just the divot but your footprints going in & out of the bunker as well.

No relief, just play it as it lies unfortunately, it sucks but there isn't much you can do about it

Did anyone see the bunker shot yesterday from the ladies Evian event?

Buried lie under the lip which didn't clear the top of the ridge and rolled back into her footprint which was quite deep due to how she had tried to get her stance

I really hate it, but I play it as it lies.

No relief, just play it as it lies unfortunately, it sucks but there isn't much you can do about it

Did anyone see the bunker shot yesterday from the ladies Evian event?

Buried lie under the lip which didn't clear the top of the ridge and rolled back into her footprint which was quite deep due to how she had tried to get her stance

I did. That was an absolutely brutal turn of events for her. She was in complete control and that buried lie in the steep lip derailed everything.

I rarely ever do this, but 2 weeks ago I was on a foot print about 3 inches deep in the lip of the bunker. Someone had dug in for leverage and done nothing. The ball wouldn't have even stopped there is the footprint wasn't there. I raked it and then had to 1/2 plug it just to get it to stay where it was. I dont care to hit out of where someone has walked into and out of the bunker, but this was ridiculous.

I just move it to a spot outside the footprint, and rake the whole mess when I'm done.

It sue, but it is also the rub of the green. You don't move it from a divot, so why would you expect to move it from a footprint. I have watched people walk out of a bunker onto the green and play it out and start to walk away and hollered to ask them if they are going to rake the bunker...most go back and do it...

So the other day one the players in my 4some is in the fairway bunker but in a deep footprint. His buddy says "rake and replace". Got me thinking how many you do this. Think I have done maybe like twice ever in all the years playing when the footprint was so bad there was just no chance. Other then that rarest time or two Ive done it I simply just deal with it. It sucks but I figure I shouldn't have hit it into the bunker and so this is what i got.

We often complain of unraked bunkers on the forum. And much like those who move the ball from divots or tree roots (both being famous THP discussions) I wonder how many you do the "Rake/Replace" thing when in the unfair situation of anothers deep footprint in the bunker.

As said I recall maybe twice ever doing it. Normally I just deal wit the unfairness and so be it. But watching this the other day I can see the idea being somewhat justifiable especially if the scenario is very bad.

I play the unfair lies out of the bunker. I'll play shots out of divots. If I'm in a penalty area I'm overly cautious and really want to test myself and try to recover. (never take a practice swing close, and careful addressing my ball, etc. ) However, gravel, rocks, or tree roots I'll cheat around. Did it yesterday just off the cart path. I did not have a right for relief, but I took it because of gravel rocks. I'd do the same I guess in the bunker if I thought I'd hurt myself or my clubs. Roots have hurt me, rocks never have (not talking boulders here). I'd hit one off the cement/asphalt parking lot if it wasn't for what it would do to my clubs.

Why do some players believe they are entitled to a good/decent lie within a bunker ?
Remember, if the lie is so horrendous one does not want to make a swing at it he/she always has the option of taking a one stroke penalty (relief from unplayable lie), or replaying the shot from its preceeding lie(stroke and distance penalty).

Why do some players believe they are entitled to a good/decent lie within a bunker ?
Remember, if the lie is so horrendous one does not want to make a swing at it he/she always has the option of taking a one stroke penalty (relief from unplayable lie), or replaying the shot from its preceeding lie(stroke and distance penalty).

True. And let's also not forget that a bunker is supposed to be a "hazard" anyway. It's not meant to be easy to get out of. SO .... don't hit in it. Problem solved :act-up:

I also get aggravated when there is casual water in the bunker and one takes a drop in the bunker but rakes before the drop. Come on.

As long as there is no rule that allows the rake and replace, I will not do it.

Depends on the group I am with - but I like the idea - I play for fun and I've never seen any golf on TV where someone had to hit out of huge holes made and not repaired by a previous group. If everyone in the group says it's ok we will allow it.
Once I hit an uphill approach which was smack dab in a big fresh pile from someones dog!! The group plays straight up so I was thinking about just doing an unplayable when they someone finally said - just drop near it no penalty - I left the ball there, probably 5' off the green (I got pix haha)

I will always encourage my playing partners to rake and place in a bunker in casual rounds, and even in rounds where we are competing for a beer or something like that.

While I can appreciate that it's a penalty area, it is not in the condition that was intended and I don't buy the 'rub of the green' argument.

Then why are there rakes to begin with?

I usually will just hit out of the bunker unless the bunker has turned into a pond or it is under maintenance. the bunker like the woods are there to penalize you. But if somebody else did it I would not care. On Tuesday mornings we play with a guy that just takes his shot out of the bunker LOL

In all my years and rounds I have never played with anyone who didn't rake (or spit sunflower seeds on the green) but I would certainly say something if I witnessed it

What if someone spit in the footprint?

The only time I did that was when, from almost 200 out, I announced I was bailing to the bunker on the left on a par-5 second shot due to water all along the left.

I hit a perfect shot as I imagined it, my friends complemented me, as it rolled in, and I was going to have a lot of green to work with.

We get up there, and the ball was in a freaking hole about six inches deep right in the middle of this shallow bunker.

Despite playing for lunch, the guys I was with insisted that I place it in the sand, so I did.

I missed the same save, but got a bogey.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Obviously, rakes are there so that players may maintain the bunkers.

If bunkers are expected to be raked, then it seems that expecting a bunker to be raked and to have a lie consistent with such a bunker is reasonable.

There are plenty of exceptions to playing it as it lies. Cart paths, ground under repair, embedded ball, artificial obstructions, fixing ball marks on the green, and so on. Local rules allowing rake and replace won't stop the world from spinning, but it will make golfers uninterested in zen gardening far less of a menace. Personally I'd say just get rid of the rakes, or better yet sand altogether, but that is just me...

You don't move it from a divot, so why would you expect to move it from a footprint...

You'd be surprised... or maybe you wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back