How Much Does Score Matter to You?

It does matter to me. What doesn't matter to me any more is how I achieved it. It used to bother me a lot more if I hit the ball poorly and shot 76 than if ball striking was great and I shot 76.

It matters. Its not the end-all, be-all though. Sometimes you dont score that well but hit some great shots and have a fun round anyway. Take my round last Saturday for example: I was crushing my driver, puring my 5-wood and hitting some really solid iron shots but couldnt putt to save my life and walked away from a few holes with double or triple bogey, which killed my scores. 3-putts were a real killer for me but I still hit some really good shots and had a lot of fun.

For me right now it matters very little, I might actually keep score about 1 in 5 rounds of golf these days. I just enjoy playing with good people and trying to hit good golf shots. I don’t have tons of time to play right now so it’s just more enjoyable for me to be out on the course and not care about the numbers on the scorecard.

The score matters a lot to me.
But...no matter what the score is, I had fun doing it.
Yes, I can score poorly and still have a great time.

Except for a few times a year when I play in an event where my medal score matters, score is not a relevant concern for. I generally am more focused on the quality of my ball striking, short game and putting as opposed to how many strokes I actually take.

It matters quite a bit to me. I'm singularly focused on getting to single digits and when I play badly it affects my enjoyment on the course. I often will lose focus on the serenity and peacefulness of the course if I'm playing badly and that's something I'm trying to work on.

Good thread BSI!

How Much Does Score Matter to You?

It’s everything to me, and many times it ruins the game of golf for me. It has ruined golf for me throughout my life. I have few rounds I can remember, of many rounds, that I can remember genuinely enjoying throughout the round. I usually have parts I enjoy, others not so much, and I usually leave not nearly as happy as I was when I showed up. Many times I regret playing the round at all.

When I was scratch (looong time ago now), the round was rarely good enough. When I quit and returned to the game, it’s what made me never have fun and never be happy playing, until I learned to alter my thinking a bit and come to terms with what my new reality was. Even now, it’s never good enough bc I’m not playing like I did before when I was young and golf was all that mattered.

That said, slowly with age, I’ve acutely learned to just be happy to be out playing golf. I try to trick myself into focusing only on the holes that I play like I would have long ago, and ignoring the bad, but that’s only lying to myself. Score is still all that matters to me. Unless I get back to a stage where my game is at its peak and I can play in qualifiers and feel confident to have a run at it, or I’m winning club championships, golf is nothing more than something I love to grind on...it’s an exercise of patience, dedication, fortitude, and hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It matters in the sense of it’s how I measure profess with my game, but I don’t live and die with shooting a certain score.

Some of the best times on the course have been when I’ve thrown the overall score out the window and just enjoyed the game.

The score of a single round doesn't really matter to me. What's important to me is the trend line. If I can see steady improvement I'm happy.

When I first started 15 years or so ago, it didn't matter at all. I just liked being outdoors. When I got back into the game last season, I started getting better and my score started mattering too much. Then I lost my swing completely 2 months ago. I mean I struggle getting the ball in the air. Now the score doesn't matter at all. I just want to get back to hitting decent golf shots again.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Much like most out there I love scoring good anytime. But as I have made a point to myself the past 2 years is to enjoy golf regardless of score. It is more encouraging when you’re hitting the ball well whether you score well or not.

Its strange here just how many separate score from playing well yet when we really think about that, they are one in the same thing. So very many are saying they are not placing a whole lot of emphasis on score but they do imply they want to make many good shots, pitch well, putt well, lower the cap , etc... All of that is very much tied to score.

I posted earlier that score matters to me. I had said its what I practice and play for as I seek to improve. While I don't put any number for any specific score its still in the end about score. I mean you can say all you want how score doesn't matter. But if you are also saying you just want to play well, you want to make good shots, pitch well, putt well, etc,, what your really saying is you do care a lot about score. Its the same thing. If you do those things well your scores (on average) will drop. If you truly didn't care much about score you wouldn't really care much how well you played the things you mentioned. It goes hand in hand.

Certainly we can all (and have all) had rounds where we did things well and didn't score so well and felt good with that. The game itself can be funny like that at times. But over all through a body of work long term if its important for you to do most things well as you play your rounds , then the scores do mean a lot. If your not doing the things mentioned well your scores will collectively reflect it. And so its certainly very tied together. You can convince yourself it doesn't matter much but if playing well is your goal then so does score have to also be. Maybe not for a round but its one in the same collectively through a body of work or many rounds.

It all depends on the setting. When I'm with a group of THPers during an event, or during the big gatherings, I could care less what I shoot. It's all about having fun. Back home it's about trying to get better and score is very important. I've really tried to become a better golfer over the last few years so score is my main measuring stick to tell if I'm improving.

Scoring isn't the end all for me, but it does matter. I've had great times playing poorly by my standards, but I always want to play and score well. Important thing I have to remind myself, there's a lot more to enjoy and focus on then the score.

Funny this came up, I just had this conversation this weekend. I actually think I enjoyed golf more shooting 100 than I do sometimes scoring the in mid to upper 70’s.
That being said, once I figure out the round is gone I really stop caring & then good golf shows back up. Anybody else have that? You know grinding out a score then just saying “screw it, lets get another beer.”

It matters and I will enjoy a good round a little more, especially if it’s a solo round. If I’m playing with a group of good friends it might matter a little less, but I’m not going to have a great time if I am playing awful. Slightly bad is one thing, awful will ruin the round.

Of the dozen or so folks I’ve played with regularly this year I’m the only one who ever keeps score. I’m a little embarrassed, I try to be discreet and never discuss a number.

The score doesn’t matter much, it’s just me against old man par.

If I am playing great, it really matters. Once I get to about 3ish under I am very conscious of it.

If I am playing poorly, it really matters. Once I get to about 4 over I am starting to pay more attention.

If I am just making pars with a couple birdies and bogeys sprinkled in, I am basically treading water. Couldn't care less.

Its strange here just how many separate score from playing well yet when we really think about that, they are one in the same thing. So very many are saying they are not placing a whole lot of emphasis on score but they do imply they want to make many good shots, pitch well, putt well, lower the cap , etc... All of that is very much tied to score.

I posted earlier that score matters to me. I had said its what I practice and play for as I seek to improve. While I don't put any number for any specific score its still in the end about score. I mean you can say all you want how score doesn't matter. But if you are also saying you just want to play well, you want to make good shots, pitch well, putt well, etc,, what your really saying is you do care a lot about score. Its the same thing. If you do those things well your scores (on average) will drop. If you truly didn't care much about score you wouldn't really care much how well you played the things you mentioned. It goes hand in hand.

Certainly we can all (and have all) had rounds where we did things well and didn't score so well and felt good with that. The game itself can be funny like that at times. But over all through a body of work long term if its important for you to do most things well as you play your rounds , then the scores do mean a lot. If your not doing the things mentioned well your scores will collectively reflect it. And so its certainly very tied together. You can convince yourself it doesn't matter much but if playing well is your goal then so does score have to also be. Maybe not for a round but its one in the same collectively through a body of work or many rounds.

I believe in the flip side of this coin. If I make good shots, there will be a good score. However, the score is not what’s on my mind. It’s hitting nice shots. The score is just a by-product.

In the overall, I suspect score matters more to me than most. I say that because I've been willing to invest more time and effort than most to get better. Score is the measuring stick we use to know whether or not we're getting better. Having said that I can say that I enjoy immensely many other aspects of the game that others have mentioned. I am quite capable of playing a social round and enjoying the company without concerning myself on how I am scoring. I love the scenery, learning about other people's lives, hearing a good story. Even in a tournament, most will tell you they can't tell from my demeanor whether I am playing well or poorly. I must admit that has been an acquired skill.

No doubt, part of this for me is being a lifelong learner. I love learning the biometrics, the techniques, skills, the physics of the golf swing. Golf offers so much more to us than just about any other game.

I believe in the flip side of this coin. If I make good shots, there will be a good score. However, the score is not what’s on my mind. It’s hitting nice shots. The score is just a by-product.

thats basically what I mean. Its directly tied to it. I always play with the mindset to just take one shot at a time and execute them one at a time and let the score fall where it may. But its obvious (cant be avoided) that if i am successful at more strokes than not then it will be reflective in my scores. And the opposite is also true. So in the end playing well is all about scores whether we want to think it is or not.

Lets take many our low cappers here who may imply they dont care about score yet have them go and play poorly enough and perhaps like that of a teens capper for even just 2 rounds and ill bet my left arm they will care about scores. Imo for anyone who cares about how well they take thier shots and do most anything during the rounds there is no avoiding the fact that its about scores. Playing better results in better average scores. If the goal is to play better then the goal is also about scores. Oh yes, we can (like myself) say that all we want is to make good shots in the different parts of the game (basically play well) and let the scores which we dont care much about simply fall where they may. While there is no number score on that in itself nor is the score the primary thought, its still directly about score no matter how we try to slice it.

thats basically what I mean. Its directly tied to it. I always play with the mindset to just take one shot at a time and execute them one at a time and let the score fall where it may. But its obvious (cant be avoided) that if i am successful at more strokes than not then it will be reflective in my scores. And the opposite is also true. So in the end playing well is all about scores whether we want to think it is or not.

Lets take many our low cappers here who may imply they dont care about score yet have them go and play poorly enough and perhaps like that of a teens capper for even just 2 rounds and ill bet my left arm they will care about scores. Imo for anyone who cares about how well they take thier shots and do most anything during the rounds there is no avoiding the fact that its about scores. Playing better results in better average scores. If the goal is to play better then the goal is also about scores. Oh yes, we can (like myself) say that all we want is to make good shots in the different parts of the game (basically play well) and let the scores which we dont care much about simply fall where they may. While there is no number score on that in itself nor is the score the primary thought, its still directly about score no matter how we try to slice it.

I’ve been there and done that before, and for me, no it didn’t change my amount of ‘care’ about my scores. Golf is hard and bad rounds and ball striking WILL happen to everyone.

Playing better doesn’t have to be score centric. For my beginner golfers it’s something as simple as consistency off the tee, regardless of final score. I’m not a believer that for everyone it’s always immediately about the score. But, I’m not programmed to think that way.

It matters a great deal to me, possibly too much. First and foremost it's about score. Not that I can't enjoy the other aspects of a golf round but score is the bottom line. For me it's not necessarily about beating the rest of my group but about my number. After the round, I can let it go and take solace in the positives but am surely aware of my misses and where work needs to happen. I don't want to sound like some closed off and miserable playing partner as I am always having fun while playing but if I said my score doesn't matter much, I would be lying.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’ve been there and done that before, and for me, no it didn’t change my amount of ‘care’ about my scores. Golf is hard and bad rounds and ball striking WILL happen to everyone.

Playing better doesn’t have to be score centric. For my beginner golfers it’s something as simple as consistency off the tee, regardless of final score. I’m not a believer that for everyone it’s always immediately about the score. But, I’m not programmed to think that way.

I understand. i totally get it can be about playing well at given areas of the game. But in the end when we play well its still reflective in final scoring is all im saying. The two are intertwined. Through any body of work, the bteer we do things the better are scores will be. The goal for most is to play well. And that results in lower scores. Thats the whole idea in the end for most who play the game. To be as good as we can be at it. Even your teachings are in the end for the purpose of teaching to play the game well at some point. Thats why they want to learn. They dont want to learn to be bad at the game, they want to be better at it. Just because one doesnt look at the score or have a specific score goal doesnt mean they are not practicing and playing to get better. getting better (or for others maintaining a status quo) is still about scores. Anyone who practices to get better at the game isn't doing so in order not to be better. They are doing it to be better. And that is eventually about score no matter how we try to slice it.

Its strange here just how many separate score from playing well yet when we really think about that, they are one in the same thing..

not always. I went out the other day and was scuffling horrifically. I topped a couple balls off the tee. I missed a couple 3'ers which I had not done in weeks. I chunked a couple chips which I had not done. I highlandered everything longer than a 7i because I could not hit anything safely off the tee. My playing partner, whom I am better than in every facet of the game and we both know it, apologized to the random we were matched up with for my play.

And when I posted the score my trending handicap went down because although I hit far more truly awful shots than I am used to and more than I find acceptable. We were both embarrassed by my play...and yet I scored well.

Rewind a couple weeks, I played the same course with three randoms. I was hitting good shot (for me) after good shot, just smoothing my way around the course, never in trouble, had a really good round. Played well off the tee, good long irons, good short game, putted well...and was 9 shots worse than the recent round.

I have looked at both extensively to figure it out and I can't. Sometimes I hit well and score poorly, sometimes I hit poorly and score well. Yes, both are unusual but not so much so that they are outliers. I cannot count the number of times I have struggled for 9 at my most played course, been super frustrated with my play...and been 4 or 5 over for 9. As a 17.1 (todays number) that is pretty good.

Playing well doesn't always equate to scoring well for me. Then again, playing poorly doesn't equate to scoring badly. Sometimes they do, often they don't.

Back