How Good is Your Partial Game?

I think sometimes I prefer a partial or better yet, a 3/4 shot. Usually it’s because I know I don’t have to hit it as hard and i end up making a better swing and better contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always getting into trouble so my partial game is pretty sharp. My favorite shot is a half-swing low runner with the 4 hybrid (usually under a tree).

Actually pretty good. I have four distances for my wedges based on my 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full swings. It's getting to wedge distance that's my problem.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Partial all the time. Yesterday was one of those days where I didn’t feel comfortable swinging anything. Managed to hit a lot of fairways and hit quite a few iron shots inside 12 ft just couldn’t make em.

I’m much more accurate from 85-90 yards with a full LW than I am from 35-75 yards. I lay up all the time on par 5’s and par 4’s to 90 yards. If I cant get within 25 yards of the green I’ll shoot lower scores with a full lob or sand wedge in my hands.

One of our regulars is an incredible wedge player so we often talk about various shots during the round. I work on chest to chest partial shots with my 50* and 56*...but not enough. Successful 50 yard pitch shots always bring a little smile when executed properly. They seem soooo easy.

Growing up we didn’t have a lot of wedges, so you had to practice hitting different yardages. Knockdowns, partial swings and some creativity. It seems now, most use full swings regardless of the loft on their clubs.

Do you go partial?

I have found the Cleveland RTX4 to really allow flexibility in how I approach a 40-80 yard shot and I appreciate that a ton. My long time J15 gamers were so worn down, and their grooves really were not that lively to begin with, that I had to pretty much always play a high pancake to get the ball to stop.

Now I can play it low to grab and stop, and it's a ton of fun to watch. I no longer HAVE to play to full wedge yardage.

I use some partial shots but most of the time I open the face up to change distances. Depending how much I open it I know how far it should go. Key work is should. :)

When I'm out playing regularly, I do think this is a strength. Not necessarily in terms of imagination, but I feel that I have a good notion for distance control. Plus my partial swings tend to be flighted down a little by nature so wind isn't as much a consideration.

Problem is if I'm not playing or practicing regularly all heck can break loose. Partial wedges and pitches are opportunities for me to limit the damage from other areas in my game, so when this is gone I have a hard time.

Above average. My course is pretty short, just under 6500, so a good chunk of the par 4s leave me with a partial wedge. Closer is better in most situations imo

I am a master of the low runner with a high lofted wedge

Partial is a huge part of my game when I’m playing a lot and have confidence in it. Feel shots are so rewarding when they work out.

I grew up playing with a proper mixed mash of clubs, some copper clubs, some ancient Spaldings so working the ball up and down and using a club I liked for more than one shot happened a lot

Not particularly great, and that’s something I’m trying to work on more this year. I’ve gotten much better at hitting my numbers, but still need to get better at modifying trajectory.

Partial swings have always been a part of my game and tend to work out well. I find myself sometimes in between clubs, especially that 135-110 us distance where I’ll need to take a partial swing. Where that becomes an issue is if I find myself in a wet area of the course.

Watching both PGA & LPGA tours, it seems like a lot of the players there hit 3/4ish approach shots with wedges. At least the finish is less than full. Someone like Zach Johnson, for example never seems to take a full swing when I'm watching him. I imagine most people would have more control over a shot like that. But I also wonder how much practice that takes. Would someone like me do better working on this kind of technique?

If I have a wedge in my hands, it is very rarely a full swing shot. I want that little bit of touch, and increased control that a partial swing allows me.

Growing up we didn’t have a lot of wedges, so you had to practice hitting different yardages. Knockdowns, partial swings and some creativity. It seems now, most use full swings regardless of the loft on their clubs.

Do you go partial?

Probably 25% of my full yardage shots are partial. For example, if I can preach with a 7-iron about 25% of the time I will play a 6-iron. And about 75% of my wedge shots are partial. It's much easier, more relaxing to play partial shots, and it greatly helps swing tempo as well.

I've been working on this more especially in my wedges. I'm trying to play different shots from different areas instead of just hitting my 60 deg all the time. I think it has improved my short game. I still struggle with partial shots on PW on up. I can't seem to find that balance of a partial swing or choking up a 1/2" and getting the shot to work.

Pretty decent but can be erratic when I fail to practice.
I very rarely hit full wedge shots but a partial distance doesn't bother me at all.

I almost never full swing a wedge anymore so yes I'm partial

I have a sweeeeet 4-iron punch out from under/in the trees.

It's because I'm under/in the trees a LOT!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I will agree with this haha. My punch out game is pretty dang strong :)

seriously though, any thing under 120 yards is typically a partial shot for me. The only time I will hit a full 50/56/60 is if I am trying to get it high and spinning to stop immediately to a front pin where short sucks.

if I take a full swing with a wedge you know I am not where I want to be. Partial all the way, control is so much easier and accuracy so much better. Yesterday on not one, not two, but three different par 3s where the correct shot was a full swing PW I took modified punches with my 8i. I was quite pleased with the results. I took one swing from that yardage (not off tee) with that full PW and...was less happy. For those who have seen Megamind....Partial Swing...you were right. Full Swing was...less right.

To me the most enjoyable, so as often as I can.

wedges i definitely do. From 100 in i have 10 yard dispersion depending on my wedge and its getting very accurate.

Back