How Good is Your Partial Game?

Absolutely terrible for me. Probably the worst part of my game.

I don't unless it's a wedge 60-75 yards and in, as I don't like swinging a full 58, but it should be something I use more often. Using AW might actually help me gain a stroke or 2.

Growing up we didn’t have a lot of wedges, so you had to practice hitting different yardages. Knockdowns, partial swings and some creativity. It seems now, most use full swings regardless of the loft on their clubs.

Do you go partial?

Only every round =)

I have 25% / 50% / 75% /100% swings and yardages with each club from my 8i down to my 58.

If I can minimize variables by shortening my swing, I will. Every time. Love it.

Edited to add:

100y is a full sand wedge for me, but I absolutely love a low hop-and-stop from 100y with PW. For me it's a hip-to-hip swing.

Same swing w/ the 9i goes 120. I use it all the time.

I feel like I’m pretty creative with the partial shot, but don’t practice enough or trust it enough to always execute on the vision in my mind. 8i from 10yds off the green on the fairway is a good example; I mean well but either chunk it or crush it off the back of the green about 50% of the time.

i do all the time. i often play nine with just a 7 iron or 8 iron and a putter. Makes for an easy game

Mine is still a little streaky, but lately it's probably been the best part of my game. I'm not afraid to hit a full shot with any of my wedges, but I tend to hit partial shots more often these days. I have a lot better control that way. Maybe that should teach me a lesson for other clubs in the bag.

Partial all day. I use half and 3/4 swings a lot, all the way up through my irons. I love hitting held off or knock down iron shots and playing with some creativity.

Like everything else in my game it's a mixed bag. I don't practice enough at anything right now, but I do try to get out to hit some wedges before every round to get a feel. Need to find some place to practice some longer partial swings without basically paying a greens fee. I have started taking a ton more 1/2 to 3/4 swings with the GW & SW here lately and it seems like it's starting to come around some. Unless I'm on the neck coming into the green (which is super rare... usually in the rough beside or past the green) I'm usually leaning on my PM58 for the in close touch work, which is more of a comfort thing right now.

It's a weakness in my game that I've been working on recently, especially partial wedge shots

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Once I played without my 53 and 58 wedges; I had left them in my trunk after I had practiced chipping the night before. So I played everything with my pitching wedge and was amazed at the results. Even out of the bunker it performed well.

I will still use my PW on 90-100 yard shots if the pin is in the middle or back. It's so easy to flight the ball down and play for the hop and check; I struggle to do that consistently with my 53 as the ball sometimes climbs the face and makes it hard to dial in the distance.

Other than that, I do like to try hitting irons to different distances for playing in the wind or escaping trouble. And one valuable part of practicing for me is to play 9 holes with a single club.

Like everything else in my game it's a mixed bag. I don't practice enough at anything right now, but I do try to get out to hit some wedges before every round to get a feel. Need to find some place to practice some longer partial swings without basically paying a greens fee. I have started taking a ton more 1/2 to 3/4 swings with the GW & SW here lately and it seems like it's starting to come around some. Unless I'm on the neck coming into the green (which is super rare... usually in the rough beside or past the green) I'm usually leaning on my PM58 for the in close touch work, which is more of a comfort thing right now.

My favorite thing about working at a course is being able to go to the first hole at 8pm and work on partial wedges with actual golf balls I game.

It's something I've practiced and spent time during a portion of a lesson(s) but it is still not a shot I implement much of during a round of golf.

I guess to give me a different option is gripping down the shaft and still swing full.

It's an important shot to have, but I have no idea what my distances are as opposed to my full swing.

I swing partial all the time. The swing has its moments of brilliance and its moments of ugly. I should really practice it more often, as I prefer partial swings to taking full ones under 150.

I play full shots right down to my 60W. My AW and 54W are my short range clubs that I can hit partials with. AW if I want a release and roll, 54W to stop short. I has only been this last year that I have become proficient enough to be able to be repeatable on short shots around the green. I still miss a lot, but more than 50% of the time I get close enough for accolades from my playing partners. Wish I could be as accurate with full shots.
My club has a nice pitching and chipping area with a practice sand trap that I use all the time, it allows 25-30 yd practice shots. Longer wedge practice is relegated to the range where I hit a dozen or so half and 3/4 shots before each round.

I’m alright. I only have an A wedge and a S wedge, so I partial swing a lot.

Other than taking 5-10 yards off by choking down a couple inches and opening the face very slightly I try to avoid any truly partial swings. To make solid contact I'd have to practice those regularly, which I don't.

There was a time in a my life where I'd spend an hour once or twice a month practicing nothing but partial wedge shots (maybe the occasional knock-down 8-iron mixed in). That was one of the best parts of my game then. I'm just no longer willing to give up play time in favor of practice.

Probably the biggest strength of my game. Love bringing the creativity in. Have a drill I like at the range that includes hitting each wedge 4 different distances to help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Partial shots are my favorite. I like to hit knockdowns that one hop and stop. Definitely prefer the slightly long partial swing versus the short ones that make it hard to impart a lot of spin. Generally speaking I won't hit a partial shot with a higher loft than a 9i. If I go to the range I tend to hit a lot of different wedge shots, changing trajectory etc. I'm not great at GIRs so this has always been how I make up for that.

Probably the biggest strength of my game. Love bringing the creativity in. Have a drill I like at the range that includes hitting each wedge 4 different distances to help me out.

I'd hazard a guess that you've read Pelz's Short Game Bible. I've done the same thing.

When I’m playing quite a bit my partial wedges are pretty decent, but it’s the first shots that get rusty when not in use all the time.

It’s much better now than when I was younger. I tend to get lots of these shots as I lose distance!!

I'd hazard a guess that you've read Pelz's Short Game Bible. I've done the same thing.

It’s sitting untouched on my shelf and I feel ashamed. I’m gonna go pick it up right now.

Partial game was on point today, including a 50 yard 60% swing with my 54* Vokey to hole out for my first ever eagle!!!

All the time. When I first started all I had was one wedge - usually a PW and I needed to get really creative around the greens. I almost feel like I was a better wedge player back then when I had less options...

Back