What Kind of Competitions Are You Entering?

Yeah, hope you never have to deal with that. Hopefully other guys who have that type of personality know themselves well enough to understand that maybe ultra-competitive golf isn't for them. One of the worst things I'd hate to do is start getting down on myself and have it affect other players. In the very few (and not even high-level) tournaments that I have played in, I've seen a few guys get rattled by people in the group who were cursing up a storm and slamming their clubs, etc. Even though you could tell they were cursing themselves, it really brings the mood of the group down and takes others out of their zone.

I have played with that guy. One year during our club tournament, this guy was going ballistic. He wasn't playing well. He missed a 35 foot putt and just lost it. He ended up walking off the course after about 12 holes. We did not complain. He just said I am done guys and left.

Another time, we played with a hot head in a 2 man scramble. He was out to stomp the competition. Super serious and not real friendly. He missed a long eagle putt and started screaming the F Bomb at the top of his lungs. Threw his putter, walked over to the porta john and started punching the door. We didn't say a word to him after that.

Have only done Member Guests with my dad and of course The Grandaddy. Did play a fun scramble work co-workers many years ago, but wasn't anything official.

Would love to try to do a scramble once a year, or even try an amateur event that I've seen comes around this way. It's grouped by handicap so it would be a fun way to test myself. Maybe one of these years I will dive in and give it a shot.

I have played with that guy. One year during our club tournament, this guy was going ballistic. He wasn't playing well. He missed a 35 foot putt and just lost it. He ended up walking off the course after about 12 holes. We did not complain. He just said I am done guys and left.

Another time, we played with a hot head in a 2 man scramble. He was out to stomp the competition. Super serious and not real friendly. He missed a long eagle putt and started screaming the F Bomb at the top of his lungs. Threw his putter, walked over to the porta john and started punching the door. We didn't say a word to him after that.

Wow, that's outrageous and pretty hilarious (in hindsight, I'm sure) :laughing:
I think I might have to go and check out some old threads featuring ridiculous tournament golfer stories now.

Wow, that's outrageous and pretty hilarious (in hindsight, I'm sure) :laughing:
I think I might have to go and check out some old threads featuring ridiculous tournament golfer stories now.

Yeah, the second guy works at our course part time now. He has developed a reputation of being the local head case.

99% of my "competitions" are with a weekly rack/skins game, and usually a game within our group too (wolf, animals, left-right, round robin, etc...).

I really want to play more competitive rounds. The first reason is that I need to work on playing under pressure (so I can perform better in THP events!). The second reason is because it gives me something to shoot for, something to motivate me to practice and improve.

I would love to play in some local USGA/SNGA events, but they are usually 2-day events going from Sat. to Sun. I don't regularly play on Sunday due to church and family commitments, so those don't make sense to me. I would love play in them though.

I play in all of the match play and stroke play events at my club. Singles and doubles. Best ball events, charity scrambles, etc. Don't care what I play in as long as there is something to play for even if it's just for a drink after the round with my buddies.

I've only played in last year's Club Championship and then the weekly skins matches at the club.

Playing only my 2nd formal tournament this coming Saturday in the club's Under 55/Over 55 team tournament.

LOL, I don't even know the format or anything about it. I was asked to team up by someone and I accepted, we'll see how it goes.

Silly as it may sound, I've been a little shy to dive in completely with all of the events. No idea why really as, although I want to play well, I don't really care about placing or winning or whatever. Just a little fish-out-of-water syndrome, I guess.

I really like competition but, like @McLovin, I hate for that guy to come out on the golf course. It's great for sports like baseball or boxing but I just can't maintain my composure on the course with that kind of head and it will just cycle into a tailspin of frustration and really high scores. I'm scratching the itch by playing in non-competitive leagues and games with friends. It's much more enjoyable since there are really no stakes to an after work 9-hole league, a weekend wager, or (the best yet) a competitive THP event where one bad shot is negated by like 10 awesome things you get to experience.

if i knew what kind of competitor i'd be going up against, i'd probably play more competitions. when we're having fun and fist-bumping the good shots, making fun of the bad shots, and not taking it too seriously, i love that.

These days THP events are the "competitive" type of events I'm most interested in. I still play in local events like our Club Championship this coming weekend and some other random ones but it doesn't bother me either if I don't play in them anymore. Really the only reason I even enter is to hang out with buddies during the round.

The only ones I play are the "wacky Wednesday" games our senior group puts together. Most are fun, the rest don't get played again.

THP events are the only ones I've played in and it's been a while. Really enjoy them. Otherwise it's just ready golf.

Back