Does anyone remember just a round where it just "clicked"...?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm new to the sport. I'm about 3-4 months in. I'm golfing around 95-105 which they say is good for a beginner, but TONIGHT so much just "clicked". I was hoping and praying that a day like this would come where I would just realize alot of the stuff I was doing wrong, and tonight was that night.

I'll try to keep this short, but I spent about 2.5 hours on the range today before I played, and then went out and golfed my best round yet. NOT score wise though. It was a 96...nothing great, but everything felt really good. My front 9 was a 53, but I could just feel things differently and knew I could do better. I then went on to golf a 43 on the back 9 with a quad bogey on 18...otherwise it was pars and bogeys, and it felt like GOLF!

So here's the things that clicked for me tonight...
1. My drives had been TERRIBLE, and tonight i just got it. I realized i was not coming back with the club SHALLOW enough or slow enough. I slowed my backswing WAYYY down, and focused on bringing my driver back low to the ground, and really forcing myself to pop the left hip forward to the target on the downswing. I shot nothing but 225 ft lasers the entire back 9...which is RARE for me. Popping my hips is probably only negating my sway right now, but once I can stop the sway and pop I have no doubt i'll be in the 250-275 range.
2. I stopped thinking about my stupid irons, and just hit the damn ball. I think sometimes I take way TOO much to the ball. Thinking...thinking...thinking...and today I just let my body take over.
3. I got more aggressive with my putting. I noticed the pros are really aggressive, as in they almost never miss short, and aren't scared to blast it past the hole.
4. I used different balls. This might have nothing to do with anything, but I dropped the soft ball. Everyone says beginners should use soft balls, so I've been using Callaway SuperSofts, but I just haven't loved the feel of them. I switched to harder distance balls today, played a Bridgestone e6, Titliest Velocity, and Titliest V1 for most of the day and they felt so much better. They were 3 I had found in my adventures at some point.

Not sure if any of that is helpful to anyone, but figured I'd share my experience...

Can anyone else recall days where this occurred for them? And what they all of sudden just "got"? I just feel like I grasped soooo many things today. Now, who the heck knows if I go back out again and have it together, but tonight was the first night I felt like i was PLAYING GOLF and man was it fun!

Last edited:
I went into a trance, don't remember any of it apart from the 17th hole where I chunked my tee shot and hit driver off the deck onto a green miles away, don't remember the up and down, don't remember the last hole.

I shot 3 under on the back 9 at Elea in Cyprus, my best ever score for 9 holes but I can't remember any of it.

I went into a trance, don't remember any of it apart from the 17th hole where I chunked my tee shot and hit driver off the deck onto a green miles away, don't remember the up and down, don't remember the last hole.

I shot 3 under on the back 9 at Elea in Cyprus, my best ever score for 9 holes but I can't remember any of it.

See. This is why i post on the forum. I now have mine documented for memory. ;)

and to think.....Im playing for decades and shot a 97 the other day nor can i get yet get back to breaking 90 this season. It never ceases to amaze me just how fortunate so many are at taking up this game and progressing so quickly.

But to answer the question, Ive had so many those types of rounds I cant recall them. But good luck, hope it stays with you.

Way to go! Those are fun. For the most part, my ball striking feels pretty much the same day in and day out. My days where I feel like I'm on are when I find a few more fairways with my driver and my putter gets hot. Two weeks ago I had a round with 25 putts (12 GIR) - I just felt like I couldn't miss. I'm normally in the 30-33 range, so that was crazy. It's awesome when things go right.

My low scoring days are when I’m hitting a lot of my irons inside of 10 feet. I’ve had a few of those this year, most recently a couple weeks ago when I shot a -5, 68 with a 3 putt on the second hole. I had 3 birdie putts inside of 3 feet that day and another couple in that 7-9 foot range. Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to figure out how to repeat those stellar shotmaking days very often.

Would have been last year on 4th of July, I shot my 74 and every shot felt just perfect. No thinking really, just seeing the shots and executing. Silly game.

Its been about a few years ago now. Just seemed like everything went my way.

Shot my lowest ever score of 68 (-4) at my then club where my next lowest was 72.

All I lacked was the elusive HIO. Someday!!

I've shot 80 6 times in past 3 years, most recently was last year. All I remember is "seeing" every shot before I hit it. My swing seemed to be effortless, without any hitch or thought put into it. It's like what I saw went from my brain directly to the rest of my body. Still trying to have another day like that.

Last edited:
Last night I was in the zone for about half the round at the executive, every shot went right where I aimed. I could see the breaks on putts like line was drawn on the green. I hit an 80yd approach blind, as soon as the ball left the club face I knew I nailed it, when I got to the green I had a tap in bird. It’s an interesting state of mind to be in, I have very little control over it, it seems to come and go at random, It’s never lasted a complete round.

Way to go. If you're anything like most of us you have to savor those days when they come around for you. That mojo never seems to last long at all.

I just played two of my best rounds ever last week. Everything seemed automatic, never felt uncomfortable setting up, aligned easily to the target, really only had to think about the target each shot and 'knew' that's where it was going to go. Played once this weekend and could tell the mojo was evaporating way too quickly.

Hope there's still some mojo leftover tomorrow because I'm playing one of the tougher private venues here. A course I've only had the opportunity to play twice before. It kicked me around pretty bad both times and I was just there attending the Korn Ferry event a few days ago and those greens were set up blazing fast and firm. It will be a challenge if I'm hitting it per normal.

couple years ago playing my favorite course. Playing awful...14 over after 8 holes and that is with a par and birdie mixed in. Coming off the fairly easy 8th, a par three I had just tripled, I have no idea what clicked but I went par-par-bogey-par through 16, birdie on 17, and par on the 18th for a net of par only the last 10 holes. Next day played 9 at my most commonly played course, went one under for those nine.

I have never had a run like that before or since, never shot par for any consecutive 9 holes, much less for 19 straight. Just...everything clicked.

This past Monday was a watershed moment for me. Similar to your round, 53 on the front, but I didn't play bad contrary to what the score says. Things like hitting it to far past the fairway and ending up behind a tree, missing green short side, with green sloping away or coming up way short on shots around the green leaving long long putts.... to add to it, my putting was brutal (24 putts on the front 9!). I actually par'd 2 holes on the front 9.... ball striking was good. My whole summer till Monday, all parts of my game have been good, but never at the same time. I've put in so much time at the range sorting out my misses this year I have a good understanding how to course correct through the rounds. You always hear pros talk about how their game is so close....never understood that, until the past couple weeks, where I felt it was so close I could taste it. Even my buddy commented once saying "If I only put it all together"

Well, something "clicked"...... made the turn and went 6 straight pars. It felt like "I was playing golf" as you so eloquently put it, without even trying. Went double, double, bogey on the last 3 holes, but again, not because I was brutal, just some poor course management and the putter was simply cold, 3 putting my last 3 holes. (that is weird for me, putt'ing is usually always steady for me). Regardless, it all came together, off the tee, to the green. FW/GIR, FW/GIR, FW/GIR, FW/GIR, FW/GIR, FW/GIR .... for 6 holes, I felt like a golfer :)

I played a twilight round once where everything clicked and I was shooting pars and bogeys. I skipped 2 holes cause they were backed up but was trending towards an 85 score for the round. Drives were long and in the fairway, approach shots were on the green and two putts for par. One of the most exciting rounds ive ever played.

Have had it happen a few times. Most recently was this past weekend. In accordance with my complete roller-coaster scoring this season...

Saturday on the back 9... Scored 49. It was a complete hot mess.

Sunday on the same back 9... Scored 35. It was obviously not a hot mess. In fact, just missed another couple of birdie putts which would have had me in a golf scoring coma, I think.

When “it” clicks, even if for part of a round, it is really, really fun.

Still have the score card on my wall. I recall playing really well, but not paying too close attention to the scores. I was approaching the 18th tee box, when my buddy called. Since I was alone and the course was empty, I took the call. He asked how I was playing, and I told him it felt good - and then I added up the numbers. I learned that if I were to par 18, I would shoot -1. That's usually where the jinx kicks in. I don't know how, but I managed to birdie 18 for a score of -2. 5 birdies on the day was, by far, a personal best for me. Haven't done it since. Haven't really come close.

I remember it well. It was like the Bishop playing in Caddyshack. One under after 5, then it started raining... No, I am not crazy, I quit at the turn. 39 for 9, 3 over. For a high handicapper like me, two birdies, nothing over bogie, is great.

Last year I had a round that was text book and it was like I was on autopilot.
I hit almost every fairway.(think I missed 2 but just a foot or so)
I hit every green in regulation and I putted every green.
18 pars = 72.

These are all great, but I was speaking more on the side of, did you figure out something FUNDEMENTALLY that clicked with your swing that you've been able to carry over for sessions to come.

I get putting everything together in a round is incredibly hard to do...because if that was easy well everyone would be a pro. But I'm talking more was there a moment where you figured out these particular things in your driving, putting, or hybrids that just made that club all of sudden "click".

Back