Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With a lot of THP events this year participants have received new gear, some full bags from drivers to wedges.
The question is how fast can you adjust to the new clubs? Can you play well with them right away or is there some learning curve adjusting to them?
Do you feel comfortable enough to go out and shoot your HC the first time out?

I have always got along well with new gear if it was fitted properly and want to put them in play immediately.

10 swings.
In regards to the handicap, you should really only hit that about 20% of the time, since it is not an average, but potential. Then add in slope ratings, and at my course, I shouldn't be shooting that number very often.
But as a general rule, I get fit, know the distances, take about 10 swings to find the bottom and I am good to go.

I can usually get accustomed to the clubs fairly quickly. But I'm always tinkering with them later. For instance, my AP3's I took out the AMT black shafts & put in the PXi shafts and haven't looked back since. They play a lot better with those in them.

Yeah I think it's pretty quick for me as well. I know when I was chosen to play the M4's I put them in the bag right away and by the end of the round it was like they were my "old" clubs. As long as the specs are on - I don't really struggle all that much.

I adjusted very quickly to the bag, gloves, hat, and even the golf balls. The rest have taken some time, but I'm getting there.

unfortunately no, i don't generally adjust quickly. even with extended time on the range, i need a few rounds under my belt before i feel totally comfortable.

A lot of my purchases are used clubs that I try to get in my spec and before I get a chance to try them out. So, assuming the specs are on, it's just a matter of getting the distances down. Driver can go straight in the bag as long as the shaft suits me well enough. May take a couple cuts to get the timing down though.

Like most have already stated, for me it’s all about the fitting. If done properly there is very little adjustment necessary.

Yep, as long as the specs are at least close to what I would play, I would expect my scoring to be pretty similar. Only club that would potentially take a little more learning (for me, anyway) is putter.

Since I was fitted for my last two sets, they went right into use. The irons seemed no different than the previous set, but 5 yds longer. The driver was +10. The fairways, couldn't hit the old 3 wood from the grass, new one ditto. Heavenwood was new, loved it from first hit. Each set was an improvement from day one.

Going from a box set to fitted clubs took a bit of work on my part. The driver was easy to grove and I saw immediate improvement, the irons took about 3 or 4 rounds with a couple of range sessions. The hybrids were a whole new animal for me and took the longest time to feel comfortable with. I'm not talking about shaping shots, since I havent even begun to try that yet, I'm still trying to hit the ball straight.:act-up:

Going from a box set to fitted clubs took a bit of work on my part. The driver was easy to grove and I saw immediate improvement, the irons took about 3 or 4 rounds with a couple of range sessions. The hybrids were a whole new animal for me and took the longest time to feel comfortable with. I'm not talking about shaping shots, since I havent even begun to try that yet, I'm still trying to hit the ball straight.:act-up:

I think you have found a great instructor and it is really helping. You are progressing quite well!!!

With a lot of THP events this year participants have received new gear, some full bags from drivers to wedges.
The question is how fast can you adjust to the new clubs? Can you play well with them right away or is there some learning curve adjusting to them?
Do you feel comfortable enough to go out and shoot your HC the first time out?

I have always got along well with new gear if it was fitted properly and want to put them in play immediately.

@Six4Three5 and @kc720 will laugh at this...

3 swings. For some reason, it takes exactly three swings for me to 'find' a club.

3 swings. For some reason, it takes exactly three swings for me to 'find' a club.

Skillzs!!!!

I've witnessed this first hand multiple times.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If properly fitted then very little time. Maybe 20 swings to find my groove and I’m set.

Not a huge tinkerer, although I’ve changed iron sets a bit in the last few years. I think I adjust fairly quickly as long as the specs are reasonably close to what I need. Usually after a round and a range session I have a good idea how the clubs perform for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily have a problem adjusting to new gear... maybe 6-10 swings to get the timing down. But I have a problem letting go of the old gear to give the new gear a shot in the bag. I'm definitely a creature of habit.

I like to hit a few range sessions and have a session on my launch monitor to understand distances and then it's off to the course

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I borrow people clubs a lot, so if they are standard length, lie etc I can adjust pretty quick. Just finer details like launch, distances and a few other things like how clubs react in different conditions are things I learn over time

It generally takes me at least 3 rounds to get really comfortable with clubs. I am not a range fan so it's typically take plastic off the clubs and head to the 1st tee with them.

It took me a while to get things dialed in with my new clubs but I think most of that was a swing issue that I was having. I tend to keep irons a while but change the other ones on a regular basis.

Back