Competitive edge during boys golf trip?

jschiele01

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guy's, I have a competitive/fun golf trip in the next two weeks. We're playing 3 courses that nobody in our foursome are very familiar with. We're all very similar in handicaps, but I'm about middle of the pack in terms of scoring usually. We are playing a best of the three rounds takes the prize.
My question is: How do you guys prepare for a competitive tournament? Or does anyone have any tips to gain a competitive edge? Really want to beat these guys this year!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

buy them drinks, lol

Personally I always go to the range and practice green 1.5 hours before any competitive matches. Seems to help a lot.

Unless the course demands a lot of drivers (7,000+yards), I'll wear out my 3-wood all day to keep it in play, especially on unfamiliar courses. Other than that, spend some time around the greens to get a feel for the grass/lies and how the ball reacts and rolls on the greens. Good luck!

Extra time on the greens to make sure two putts per green and keep the ball in play. Don’t chase the long drive when it might spray - hitting three off the tee is rough on the score

Thanks fellas, going to hit the range and practice greens well in advance. Definitely plan to hit my 2 hybrid off majority of the tees, unless there is a nice open fairway!

Unless the course demands a lot of drivers (7,000+yards), I'll wear out my 3-wood all day to keep it in play, especially on unfamiliar courses. Other than that, spend some time around the greens to get a feel for the grass/lies and how the ball reacts and rolls on the greens. Good luck!

Most excellent !

Oh man, for my group it's all about the head games. Sometimes the smacktexts start well in advance, and the day of distractions employed are downright ruthless. One of guys set it up earlier this year so every time he said a common golf phrase I saw his wife naked in my head. It was brilliant. On a lesser man it would have been very distracting. lol

As for on the course, I say just get there early, get loose, test the greens, and play to your strengths. You know your game better than we do.

I'd scout the heck out of the courses with an app, too. By the time I got there I'd have already played the round a dozen times in my head.

Oh man, for my group it's all about the head games. Sometimes the smacktexts start well in advance, and the day of distractions employed are downright ruthless. One of guys set it up earlier this year so every time he said a common golf phrase I saw his wife naked in my head. It was brilliant. On a lesser man it would have been very distracting. lol

As for on the course, I say just get there early, get loose, test the greens, and play to your strengths. You know your game better than we do.

I'd scout the heck out of the courses with an app, too. By the time I got there I'd have already played the round a dozen times in my head.
Haha, my group can be ruthless as well. Down right mean at times... Great idea to do some research on the courses before hand. Only 2 of the 3 preview the holes on their websites though. But will definitely help!

Yup for sure on that last paragraph. I’d go so far as mapping out and playing each course on the range. For example hole one is 400 yards. Say you hit your driver 250, then hit your 8i 150. Adjust based on the strike. Have a plan for the short right holes. Is it worth going for/getting it close? Or should you just hit a 5i to keep it in play and full wedge or 9I in. Have a plan for every hole. We did this for my son in a tournament and it was a huge help for a course that wasn’t very familiar. He literally had his club/or distance in a 3x5 notebook for each hole and what he should aim at and a general idea of where to miss and where not to miss.

Yup for sure on that last paragraph. I’d go so far as mapping out and playing each course on the range. For example hole one is 400 yards. Say you hit your driver 250, then hit your 8i 150. Adjust based on the strike. Have a plan for the short right holes. Is it worth going for/getting it close? Or should you just hit a 5i to keep it in play and full wedge or 9I in. Have a plan for every hole. We did this for my son in a tournament and it was a huge help for a course that wasn’t very familiar. He literally had his club/or distance in a 3x5 notebook for each hole and what he should aim at and a general idea of where to miss and where not to miss.
I'm going to buy a note book now! Great idea.

Rumor has it that a surreptitious swipe of a glue stick on a club face will cause all kinds of headaches. Allegedly.

Back