Caddie Experience: Yay or Nay?

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
I just had my first experience with a caddie. He knew the course and was fairly willing to lend a hand but overall, I did not enjoy it.

On my home course I always walk. I don’t like being without my bag, I like being able to mix it up last minute, have access to my rangefinder, anything in my bag etc.

The only fun part was just dropping lines like “I’ll take the 7” and wow, there’s a club.

I think I would love a caddie if it were one on one, my caddie instead of split within a twosome.

What do you think? Do you enjoy it? Have you never had an opportunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very much enjoy it. I have had a few caddies that were less than desirable and did a bad job reading greens but for the most part I've had very positive experiences.

Walking Pinehurst #2 with one was the best!

Never have played with an actual caddie that carried my bag. Have played twice where our group of 4 had a forecaddie at a high end course in Atlanta. Their services were very helpful without being overly invasive.

Have only played with a fore caddie, so he didn't carry the bag, but definitely assisted in every other way. Was a great help getting around an unfamiliar course.

What are you mixing up last minute? That's what I don't understand.

Have had a caddie multiple times, and overall they have been positive experiences. Love when they have input on yardages and where to aim on putts, especially on tricky greens. If I need to get stuff out of my bag, I just adjust to doing that stuff at the tee when everyone is together or at greens after I've putted out.

Played a few courses that have required a caddie. Other than one time where we were just butting heads on everything, I've always had a good time. Even when the caddie may not have been the best at reading putts and such, it's easy to dust off since it's ultimately you making the final call.

I've had a few caddy experiences. Most of them have been great, but one or two were certainly detrimental to the experience. I hate it when the caddy seems annoyed to be there, or when he's the worst green reader ever.

i like it a lot. but i agree if the caddie is splitting his duties, it is less enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't played with a caddie in decades. But they came in handy with course management, not so much on the greens, but better than me on an unfamiliar course.

Played with a caddie a few times & always enjoyed it. Sure I’ve been misclubbed a couple of times but it was early in the round. Course knowledge, lines off the tee, fairway & reading putts was worth every penny.

I played cinnamon hill in Jamaica a couple of years ago. I played 5 straight days and had the same caddie. He was fantastic, we did ride in a cart but between shots he cleaned clubs, etc. When I pulled up in my cab, he walked me to the clubhouse, took my clubs to the cart, and drove me to the range. The first day he said "hit de 5 iron mon"..On day two he started picking up on my tendencies and ball flight. He fixed my divots, marked, cleaned, replaced and aligned my ball then gave me a read on speed and location. At the end of the round he stored my clubs, cleaned my shoes and handed me ice cold lemongrass towels to wipe down with. One of the best, most spoiling experiences of my life. It wasn't cheap at $125 a day, a $30 cab ride, and a $50a day tip for him but a Hell of an experience.

Last edited:
I caddied in HS in the late 80's at a nice CC. I learned pretty quickly that you have to chameleon your customer. Some like you helping and some don't. Some like conversation and some would rather you just be quiet and be a porter.

The way to have a good caddie experience is to have a brief before the round starts. Let the caddie know what you want from them and if they perform well a nice tip is appreciated.

I don't like having a caddy because they end up just being an expensive cart. I don't like help picking clubs or reading greens so they are just there to carry the bag.

I’ve enjoyed both times I’ve had a chance to play with a caddie. The first time was in Hilton Head, playing Harbour Town. He had my distances after a few holes and really helped me around the course. The second was at the Hideaway, where I definitely made some putts I wouldn’t have, keeping Clayton and I in the match. Also, why is it an issue if you can’t get to your rangefinder if you have someone giving you yardage?

I’ve never had the opportunity for a caddy. I haven’t had the pleasure of playing a course that nice. I think it would be cool to try it out and think the forecaddy would be awesome to help find errant shots. Maybe one of these days.

What are you mixing up last minute? That's what I don't understand.

Have had a caddie multiple times, and overall they have been positive experiences. Love when they have input on yardages and where to aim on putts, especially on tricky greens. If I need to get stuff out of my bag, I just adjust to doing that stuff at the tee when everyone is together or at greens after I've putted out.

Changing wind and he’d leave me real quick before the wind would change again, a few times I’d grab 2 clubs but I hate doing that. I honestly wanted to just tell the dude I’d carry my own bag but figured it would be an insult to our host ... who shelled out some serious coin for this day.

Never played with a caddie but would like to give it a try. Newbie question - what's a forecaddie?

Had a forecaddie a couple of years ago while playing Spyglass, did not enjoy it. Dude was not very good and didn't earn the tip I gave him, but felt obligated.

Never played with a caddie but would like to give it a try. Newbie question - what's a forecaddie?
They don’t carry the bags, but rake bunkers, give yardages, and go ahead and find balls. Some courses use them to speed up play.

They don’t come to the tee box... they stand off in the rough in what they feel is the average landing zone and mark errant tee shots. It’s kind of like when you watch PGA event and realize they never lose balls despite blasting errant drives 310 yards.

Only once and I hated it, there was pretty much nothing about the experience that I enjoyed, I'm glad it's no longer a thing at most golf courses.

I used a caddie for 4 rounds at Bandon Dunes this Jan. Great experience, very knowledgeable about the courses as he was the caddie master for 4 years when they first opened. Figured out my game quickly and was the ultimate professional. Gave me a bad read on one green but owned it immediately. Made walking 36 a day easier as well. Well worth the money for a bucket list trip.

I've only had it once, during The Grandaddy, and it was a great experience. I am awful at tracking my golf ball and he helped tremendously , along with giving great yardages and reading putts. A few times I got to the green and my ball was already cleaned and lined up for me. One time I hit into a high fairway bunker and as we got close to it I hear him say "Alright, just wedge it out and you can hit the green the next shot". I was going to see what my situation was and try to advance the ball further, but him there helped me manage the hole better.

Played a couple rounds out in Jamaica and we had the same caddie for both rounds and he was great

As Jen hadn't been playing long he was great in giving her advice and encouragement when she hit bad shots, for me he gave me lines off the tee and on the green he could give you the read from anywhere regardless of where he was standing

I have never played a course that even offers a caddie service, lol. I will have the pleasure of a forecaddie at this years Grandaddy, which isn't the same. It's not something I have been accustomed to, so I have a feeling it would be kind of awkward. I don't usually like people doing stuff for me, so I could see myself not liking having someone carry my clubs around.

I thought it was kind of cool the first couple times but the caddie experience really interrupts my accustomed rhythm and way of playing. I will never again voluntarily use a double-bagging caddie. That's just a bad deal all around.

I could possibly imagine a situation where I'd find a single-bagging caddie useful. If it were a course where using my push-cart were not practical for some reason and it was a caddie who was willing to carry the bag and just stick to offering basic information without a lot of chit-chat or "entertaining" banter, that might be of value.

Generally I'd rather just do my own thing.

Back