Caddie Experience: Yay or Nay?

I used a caddy a long time ago at Bandon. I am use to doing stuff myself, so, it was a bit awkward. It was nice to have him carry my bag, though. For the most part, I would opt not to use one, but, in certain situations, I would definitely use one - Old Course at St. Andrews (bucket list)

Just once for me, last year at Pebble Beach, and it was a great experience. The guy had been working Pebble for 26 years, or something like that, and knew how to evaluate your game, and your expectations, so he could best make your round better. The conversations were great, just enough course history and such to be interesting, and the course knowledge and advice were invaluable.

Definitely a Yes vote for the caddie experience. It took some time to feel comfortable having someone carrying the bag and raking the bunkers for me but getting advice and talking during the round has always been a thumbs up.

Never had, but probably would have alot of the same sentiments

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have played the Coeur d'Alene resort course many times and they always have a forecaddie.
The forecaddies have always been very helpful and knowledgeable.

The first time I played Chambers Bay I had hired a caddy. Let's just say he was....well....an idiot.

I really enjoy playing with a caddie and will take advantage of it whenever possible. I've had one at Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Shadow Creek, Kapalua, and Torrey Pines and have them reserved for our trip to Bandon next month.

So a big time "YAY" for me!

I have twice and enjoyed it both times. I think its great. Of course the person carrying the bag makes the experience too.....

Had a forecaddie once....he wasn't bad. Once you kept his attention span lol @JB

I've never had one without being forced to, and I don't really enjoy it. The only thing I do like, at least when I play Whisper Rock, is that the whole foursome can have a single caddie. When he runs out to the fairway and signals if your ball is in the fairway or in the desert, and then runs to find it if it does get into the desert, it makes the extra $40 very much worth it!

I had a bad caddie one time, but mostly I enjoy it. With my daily life, anything that let's me focus more on what I'm trying to enjoy by taking even one decision or responsibility off my hands I'm generally all for. And a good caddie can be worth a couple strokes at an unfamiliar course.

Had a caddie at Muirfield Village, was a great experience. Awesome guy. Gave me some really bad reads on some putts though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really does not answer the question, but we have been toying with idea at my home course of hiring the local HS kids who frequent the course to try an experimental run at a caddie program. During the summer months this would earn them a little cash and some good life experience.

As for me I have never used a caddie but would like to given the chance. Really all I am looking for at my home course is to have my cart pushed, club handed out, cleaned and put back. Hope this program works

I’m actually a little surprised that there’s anyone that doesn’t like having a caddy....
Whatever helps me enjoy my experience more on a golf course I am all for and would welcome it every single time.

I’m actually a little surprised that there’s anyone that doesn’t like having a caddy....
Whatever helps me enjoy my experience more on a golf course I am all for and would welcome it every single time.

That's the thing. It doesn't help me enjoy my experience.

Honestly, the ideal caddie for me would be one who stayed about two arms length from me the entire round and set my bag down facing me every time I stopped walking. Beyond that, he could rake bunkers and that's about the maximum amount of help I want.

Other than raking bunkers, my SpeedCart does exactly the same as my ideal caddie. Except it doesn't engage me in conversation. And doesn't cost a hundred bucks a round.

I don't really need or want advice and over time I've realized that a caddie pointing out a break on a putt doesn't translate to me seeing it. And if I don't see the break, I can't really make a confident stroke on the correct line and pace. So the green-reading thing is generally as much a distraction as a help.

I play golf 130-140 times a year and virtually all of those rounds are walking, with my trolley and getting into a rhythm of how I do things. Once in a great while, on vacation, the caddie thing is a cool enough adventure just to do something out of the ordinary. But I just love playing golf the way I normally play and the 15 or so times I've used a caddie have pretty been enough of that adventure for a lifetime.

The thing it always reminds me of is being at work. I do some of my day-to-day tasks on own but most things are collaborative. I coordinate when and how I handle each portion of a project with one or more colleagues who each have their own responsibilities. That's necessary because my work is just a little tiny part of a big, complicated project. But it does get tiresome having to wait around for somebody else's input or sometimes having to negociate on how a certain detail is handled.

When I play golf, I like it just being me and a ball and some clubs. Not a group effort, nothing is mediated through others. A good caddie is like a good co-worker, in theory he makes things easier than doing it all myself. But at the cost of a lot of back-and-forth and teamwork rather than just getting on with it however I like. I'm the same in team games. I don't much care for asking a partner to read a putt for me or for advice on laying up or whatever. Partner games are fun but I want to actually play my own ball and contribute as best I can.

That's the thing. It doesn't help me enjoy my experience.

Honestly, the ideal caddie for me would be one who stayed about two arms length from me the entire round and set my bag down facing me every time I stopped walking. Beyond that, he could rake bunkers and that's about the maximum amount of help I want.

Other than raking bunkers, my SpeedCart does exactly the same as my ideal caddie. Except it doesn't engage me in conversation. And doesn't cost a hundred bucks a round.

I don't really need or want advice and over time I've realized that a caddie pointing out a break on a putt doesn't translate to me seeing it. And if I don't see the break, I can't really make a confident stroke on the correct line and pace. So the green-reading thing is generally as much a distraction as a help.

I play golf 130-140 times a year and virtually all of those rounds are walking, with my trolley and getting into a rhythm of how I do things. Once in a great while, on vacation, the caddie thing is a cool enough adventure just to do something out of the ordinary. But I just love playing golf the way I normally play and the 15 or so times I've used a caddie have pretty been enough of that adventure for a lifetime.

The thing it always reminds me of is being at work. I do some of my day-to-day tasks on own but most things are collaborative. I coordinate when and how I handle each portion of a project with one or more colleagues who each have their own responsibilities. That's necessary because my work is just a little tiny part of a big, complicated project. But it does get tiresome having to wait around for somebody else's input or sometimes having to negociate on how a certain detail is handled.

When I play golf, I like it just being me and a ball and some clubs. Not a group effort, nothing is mediated through others. A good caddie is like a good co-worker, in theory he makes things easier than doing it all myself. But at the cost of a lot of back-and-forth and teamwork rather than just getting on with it however I like. I'm the same in team games. I don't much care for asking a partner to read a putt for me or for advice on laying up or whatever. Partner games are fun but I want to actually play my own ball and contribute as best I can.

To each is own. The more trained and insider knowledge I have, the better I think my outcome will be. This is why the pros all use caddies lol. But I get it, I enjoy some rounds closed off from the world to myself as well. I would just rather enjoy the time with my playing partners than make it so serious that I can’t even breathe. But, everyone has a different notion of what is fun I suppose.

Give me all the help I can get out there! I’m not good enough to not need it or ask for it.

I’ve had a few different caddies in my travels the past couple of years and honestly it made it more enjoyable for me. Easy conversation, knowledge of what to hit where but the biggest difference was around the greens. Line, speed, where to hit it to, easily took strokes off my round and even took pictures for me and then they airdropped them to my phone.

If it’s a course that’s offering the service and I’ve never played, I’m all in on the help with golf and helping capture some memories with the pictures.

I’d only get a caddie again if I had a one-on-one experience. The double bag thing was nearly the same experience as being in a cart, which I hate.

Here... let me leave you with two clubs and I’ll go to the next guy. It’s kind of a weird thing.

They are useful for where to aim on tee boxes if you’ve never seen a course before.

Only have played with a caddie one time. Was a great experience and he was really cool. Did a great job with yardages and where to put the ball on the course. Was at Pebble Beach and he was younger guy and “less experienced” but much more professional than the other caddie with us who I believe has been there for awhile.

Attachments

• A2BDFD2C-F887-4690-B8CB-7A8209C069DE.jpeg
    A2BDFD2C-F887-4690-B8CB-7A8209C069DE.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 4
What is the proper tip for a caddie? for a forecaddie? Is there a formula based on the course price that helps calculate what to tip a caddie?

What is the proper tip for a caddie? for a forecaddie? Is there a formula based on the course price that helps calculate what to tip a caddie?

Well mine did a great job and I gave him $100. He also helped out two guys in our pairing and I mentioned to them to take care of him as well. They each gave him $100.

I based this off my experience as a snowboard instructor. I usually avg about $20hr for tip.

Well mine did a great job and I gave him $100. He also helped out two guys in our pairing and I mentioned to them to take care of him as well. They each gave him $100.

I based this off my experience as a snowboard instructor. I usually avg about $20hr for tip.

$300 for a 4-hour round of golf works out to a hell of a lot more than $20 an hour!

I've played with a forecaddy 3 times I think and really enjoyed the experience. 2 of the caddies were awesome, really helped with the course knowledge and were on top of things. One was a little less impressive but it was still a cool experience. It always made the round a little more memorable.

Have played about 10 rounds with a caddie and have enjoyed every one of them. Every caddie saved me strokes when I played. Some due to reading the greens and some due to lines to take on blind tee shots, cutting corners, layup yardages, etc.

Have never had just a full on caddie, but have had a forecaddie multiple times. Only one of those times was I less than pleased with the experience, otherwise they were all great.

Never had a caddie. Would like to try it.

I very much enjoy it. I have had a few caddies that were less than desirable and did a bad job reading greens but for the most part I've had very positive experiences.

Walking Pinehurst #2 with one was the best!

Any tips on the Pinehurst caddie experience?

Back