Worst weather you've completed a round in

tomcat

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
After hearing about the winds the Lake Tahoe crew dealt with yesterday, it got me to thinking about the crap that people are willing to put up with for this game.

So, what is the worst weather condition that you've encountered that you were still able to complete your planned round (9 or 18)?

Played 36 back several years ago with THP’ers down in Naples as a tropical storm was approaching. We got the outer bands about 8 holes into the second 18 and most of us stuck it out. No lightning, so we could keep going. So wet it was easier to just not wear a glove, cause the gloves were retaining water.

I think it was probably the 2nd week of May this spring. We started our 9 hole league round under very threatening skies, temperature about 40 degrees with 20-30mph winds. Annoying and cold but not horrible. After the 4th hole, it started to snow and sleet. No big deal, we can play through it, at least it's bouncing off us and we're dry. The last 3 holes, the snow changed over to rain, and the wind picked up quite a bit. By the 9th hole it was a downpour, and with the wind it was pretty much coming in sideways, to the point where you couldn't see at all facing upwind. And apparently, my rain jacket - no longer quite so waterproof. To top it off, we found out afterward that my group was the only one stupid enough to play through it, and the week didn't count for league.

Sustained 30+ mph winds gusting well into 40s in Lubbock.

@2BFAST and I played in a tournament at Whistling Straights a few years back, Temps in the low 40s. N. Wind off the lake at about 25mph.

...and BFast never lost a ball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I played nine holes in November and it sleeted the last three. It was not great, but I had to walk back to the clubhouse anyway so I finished.

Our yearly guy's golf weekend has had a few days of 45-55 degrees and windy rain.

We all have GOOD rain gear.

They let us finish our second 18 at Thumper Pond a few years ago, but we had to turn in the carts and walk so we wouldn't ruin the course......

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sustained 30+ mph winds gusting well into 40s in Lubbock.

Well, to be fair, sustained 30 mph winds is considered calm in Lubbock. :banana:

... I scheduled my PGA PAT test well in advance. May in Chicago can be iffy for temps and sure enough it was in the mid 30's with 15 mph winds putting the wind chill in the teens. The PAT test consists of two 18 hole rounds in one day but after the first round, almost every played declined to go out for the 2nd round. I shot a 91 and it was a struggle from the practice green to the last hole. Quite a few walked off in the middle of the round. By far the most miserable conditions I have ever played in. Had it not been a PAT test paid for in advance, I would never have attempted to play in those conditions. A month later I easily passed my PAT test in 70* temps at the same course.

A bunch of us Thpers met at Ravenwood a few years ago. It was about 35* and the wind was howling when we got there. We said screw it we're here so lets play. The weather just got worse as the temp dropped and it started drizzling that eventually turned to snowing so by the turn we were all froze and ready to quit but nope...we were all too stupid to quit. Lol We paid to play and by golly we played. We all had every piece of clothing on that we could find and thankfully I had some hand warmers. If it wasn't for being with other THPers it would have been miserable. Lol

As described by the other player who finished:

Eleven * fearless players awoke for their golf date,And looked out the window to see their fate.
Three saw gray, and decided not To enter the fray.
One left home and as the rain fell down, He turned back to town.
That left seven that reached the pro shop; With cart path only, one had to stop.
With no team bet and things looking wet, the sixth said “Nyet”.
So five** headed out with it overcast; They knew they had to play pretty fast.
By hole #9, The creeks were beginning to rise like the Rhine.
Things were looking rough, Three had had enough.
Two*** were left … what would they do? With good rounds brewing, there was no stewing;
Off to number ten, to see how it would end.
As the raindrops hissed, The shots of the day you missed.
After one in the water on the 14th, a par Gil stole With a pitch into the hole.
After a short hit from the 17th tee, Mike did him one better as you will see.
The fifty yard shot was on the spot. Into the hole it flew, for a pretty sweet two!

@2BFAST and I played in a tournament at Whistling Straights a few years back, Temps in the low 40s. N. Wind off the lake at about 25mph.

...and BFast never lost a ball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

What’s funny is I didn’t even realize it until my caddy tossed me my ball on 12 or 13 green and I looked down and go “wow, I havnt lost a ball yet” and I was getting ready to say something but then thought just as I do it will be gone then next hole.

That was fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tierra Del Sol in Aruba. 60 mph winds, 95° and miserable. I finished, but wanted to quit after the 4th.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I played 24 holes yesterday in 113 degree weather. It was miserable and I wanted to quit at about 13. I finished the 18 and went home only to find my daughter who was dying to play 9 with me in the afternoon. There is no way I'm going to deny one of my kids who wants to play golf with me, so we went out. We quit after 6 holes because we were feeling sick.

Last edited:
A few years ago we went to Traverse City for our annual golf trip in October and we got snowed on while playing. Needless to say it was cold, windy, and rainy / snowing.

Couple years ago we where out in December, was about 45° when we started and temp was dropping but very slowly as there wasn't much wind. Clouds came in and we played the last 3 holes while it was snowing. That was funny and fun.

33 degrees decent wind pouring rain and frozen greens half the round.

Anytime I travel to play with Kev. It’s either, wet, freezing, (or both) or so hot i lose 3 lbs of water over 9 holes.

We play at our club on New Year’s Day regardless of weather. The only exception is if the course is snow covered. One year the temp was in the low teens. Thankfully it’s a 9-hole track.

I played in Scottsdale in 116 degree temps. I quit on 16 when I started seeing double.

We went on our annual golf trip one year in late April. The weather forecast was calling for mid 70's with a chance to get in the low 80's the last day of the trip. Naturally we all packed shorts, but the first night we were there the jet stream dropped and instead of 70's the high was in the 50's all week. The first morning we all showed up to the course in shorts and dri-fit gear for 36 holes of golf and it was about 55 degrees and overcast. On hole 3 or 4 the drizzle started. By hole 13 it was a steady light rain with about 10 MPH winds blowing. This is no big deal if you're ready for it, but wearing shorts and a dri-fit polo it was miserable. I did not want to play the second 18, but we did it anyway. There were times where I was doing jumping jacks just to warm myself back up I was so cold. It finally stopped raining for the back 9 of the second 18 and the temp got up near 60 so we all started to dry out. The hot shower that night was amazing and everyone went to the nearby outlet mall and bought a jacket for the next 2 days. 55 degrees, soaking wet, and a decent breeze is no way to spend 5 hours outside.

An early August hot and extremely humid round at Purdue University Course, West Lafayette, Indiana.

This past November we had a group trip about eight of us played in about 50 degrees with significant wind.. I don't recall any rain but the wind made it much colder than it really was

Good thing we had plenty of whiskey and golf balls because a drive only went about 150

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve played in heat indexes of 110+. I’m not much of a cold/wet weather golfer.

One time in November years ago I played with a friend during what was i think around mid 40 degrees, with really bad wind. We had a tee time for a week and noticed the weather was getting worse so I kept with it since it was the last round of the year most likely. We were fighting to finish, I played the last few holes swinging the club in winter gloves. After the round I joked saying I wished he offered to cancel and play another time but didn't want to bring it up and look weak, especially if it was my last time that year. He laughed and said he was thinking the same thing.

Back