Golf Yardage Books

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So as I’m playing more and more golf, I’ve been thinking about yardage books. How many of you use them? Do you create them from scratch or buy them from the course if they carry them? I noticed a few pretty cool sites out there where you can use templates to create a professionally looking books.

Thoughts, yay or nay? Do you feel they improve your game or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve only ever used one on one course. They were selling them for like 5 bucks and I’d never played there before. It was a massive help in determining how to play each hole. Not so much in figuring out actual yardage. Most courses I play I know well enough to make an educated guess. Yardage books don’t cover the areas I’ve been playing from mostly of late anyways.

I use them on occasion, but I prefer something like Hole19 or other gps app. Best of both worlds usually.

Yeah same for me...where I wonder is if electronic devices are able to be used in competitive amateur events non THP events

If the answer is no then I feel these would definitely provide benefits.

I’ve never had the need for a detailed yardage book. I have notes that I carry in place of one from time to time on my home course (distances from landmarks to edges of water, etc) for layups and punch outs but I rarely use it unless it’s a tournament.

I have one time and it help me out. Like Molten, I keep a few notes and that seems to work.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Out of fun, I made a yardage book for a few courses near me. Making them doesn't really add a lot of additional value (my game is no where good enough to need more than middle of the green yardages; yardage to bunkers or water behind the green CAN be useful, though). The primary benefit I received from making them is it helped me plan attack landing zones on each hole from the tee box. I know if I'm swinging well, how far out and what target line I should use, if I'm playing poorly, what target line is my safety net. Also, what will likely be my second and third (and maybe fifth) shot from there...

I use yardage books, especially on courses I’ve never played. I’m currently making one for my home course with intentions of not using a rangefinder. Taking it back to the days of walking numbers off. Good stuff.

What really got me thinking was we have some really tricky greens at the home course and I logged into GolfLogix to check out the break on a few of the greens. I hate looking at my phone while I’m on the course but I could see myself glancing at a handy yardage/green layout on occasion.

I've used them and I enjoy the heck out of them. It's basically a GPS device but on paper, minus the benefit of knowing your exact yardage. It's especially useful on a course you've never seen, and have no idea where this or that is.

I don’t use one for my home course but I do keep a green layout map.
I’ll always pick up a yardage book for courses I haven’t played if they have them.

Golf Yardage Books

Double post

I use yardage books, especially on courses I’ve never played. I’m currently making one for my home course with intentions of not using a rangefinder. Taking it back to the days of walking numbers off. Good stuff.

Are you making by hand or using software to make?

I’m in the same boat and want to get away from the rangefinder.

Serious question (not at all trying to stir the pot): why?

I love the ease and speed of the rangefinder so I’m baffled.

Inkscape software.

I grew up playing golf and having to walk number off. Just want to do it that way sometimes.

And books are more accurate than just a rangefinder.

So as I’m playing more and more golf, I’ve been thinking about yardage books. How many of you use them? Do you create them from scratch or buy them from the course if they carry them? I noticed a few pretty cool sites out there where you can use templates to create a professionally looking books.

Considering the availability of GPS and lasers, I don't believe there is any benefit to using yardage books.

I think is the old school in me. Nowadays I see myself and others asking for a number to the flag, then base their club selection for that distance without having any inkling of what the green slope is.

A few examples where I have found them useful over gps/rangefinders:

_to know where there is a tricky approach shots (false front) where the correct play is 10 yards past the front of the green
- on the green to know if there is a natural slope near the hole (quicker than methods like aimpoint)
- to know yardage beyond the green to backside water or bunkers
- to know yardage to hazards when they are hidden by trees/hills, etc and I can’t zap them with a rangefinder

Most of these could be addressed by walking to clear los, zapping, then walking off distances; however in these cases a gps (100 yards to front of green) plus a book (+10 to clear false front) tells me I need to club up to a 3/4 9 iron over a pw

Inkscape software.

I grew up playing golf and having to walk number off. Just want to do it that way sometimes.

And books are more accurate than just a rangefinder.

I think I get what you are saying. I’m not sure they are more accurate than a laser for the exact pin but a yardage book does paint a much more complete and complex view of things. I kinda get it

I think is the old school in me. Nowadays I see myself and others asking for a number to the flag, then base their club selection for that distance without having any inkling of what the green slope is.

I can certainly see the benefit for courses you don’t know. Is this information you could get from arccos?

I use them and like them as a momento from a course. I find them super helpful if you e not played there prior and don’t know the hidden BS. That being said, with rangefinders as accurate as they are, it’s hard to justify making my own

I can certainly see the benefit for courses you don’t know. Is this information you could get from arccos?

I definitely think you could.

The thought process was more a hypothetical question, especially for amateur events. I have a few coming up where I don’t know the slopes of the greens, placement of hazards or areas on the course to avoid. As these are private courses i won’t necessarily have the option of playing prior to the event, so using online sites to make a yardage book would be helpful.

I am not the most artistic person out there so just was throwing the subject out to the group.

I definitely think you could.

The thought process was more a hypothetical question, especially for amateur events. I have a few coming up where I don’t know the slopes of the greens, placement of hazards or areas on the course to avoid. As these are private courses i won’t necessarily have the option of playing prior to the event, so using online sites to make a yardage book would be helpful.

I am not the most artistic person out there so just was throwing the subject out to the group.

I’ll admit I tried to make one and failed epically. No artistic bone in my body.

I have 1 hole on a course I play sometimes since it is a weird double blind par 5 where if you don't pick the correct line you don't find the ball. I wa working on a detailed greens one and then my computer blew up.

We are moving house next moth and have started packing. A large bag of yardage books has raised my wife's eyebrow. But I might go back, dearest.

I like them because they lay the hole out in front of you and tell you where you are going, or where you really do not want to go. Next time you have a blind tee shot on a hole you have not played before, or stand on the tee and can not see the flag, I'll be looking at my yardage book.

Back