The back 9 breakdown....

clarkgriswold

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
Been making some improvements lately but it seems the back nine is my consistent breakdown point. Doesn’t seem to be a fatigue issue, just seem to be firing on all cylinders only to fall apart somewhere after the turn and scramble make a recovery. Any run into this more often then not?

I play in a work league, and we tee off at 4:32 after a long day of work. I usually play the front 9 okay, but by the back 9 my mental energy and focus tend to wane. Focus and routine are very important in this game, but I find that after a hard day of work, though I have plenty of physical energy, I'm mentally drained.

I'm not sure if this is your issue, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it resonates with you,
Whiskey

Are you energized? May have less to do with how you feel vs what you may need. If you don't typically nourish yourself regularly, that may be a contributing factor.

Even though I'm not necessarily a big fan, I've found that PB&J is great for consistent energy. Granola bars work ok, Clif bars even better.

Does the back 9 have more difficult holes?

Sometimes focus can cause issues. Can you stay focused for 18 holes?

I think during the hot summer rounds I can get too loose on the back 9. If you're drinking that can add to it too.

...PB&J is great for consistent energy. Granola bars work ok, Clif bars even better.

... and bacon and avocados are even better, but since you say fatigue is not the issue, we'll look elsewhere. If you can track your breakdowns to the same spot (i.e. holes 10, 11, etc.), then try to switch it up somehow. Thought it may take some coordination, try to play the back nine first sometime. If you still play those same hole bad, then maybe it's the holes that are eating your lunch. If you then play holes 1, 2, etc. bad, then we need to look at something else. I'd guess it's a mental game.

Do you always play bad on the back or moreso when you play really well on the front? If you have a bad front nine, does the back get even worse or do you sometimes bounce back and have a good back nine?

I think during the hot summer rounds I can get too loose on the back 9. If you're drinking that can add to it too.

I drink far more during hot summer rounds than any other time. I probably go through 2L of water and at 20oz of G2 during a really hot round, maybe more. I've flirted with heat exhaustion/heat stroke way too many times.

happens all the time for me. sometimes it's definitely energy, but i think most of the time it's the score. if i'm rolling around and think i have an opportunity to post a good number, i start doing stupid things instead of sticking what worked on the front 9.

I drink far more during hot summer rounds than any other time. I probably go through 2L of water and at 20oz of G2 during a really hot round, maybe more. I've flirted with heat exhaustion/heat stroke way too many times.

Yeah,I am talking about drinking beer, not staying hydrated, LOL!

I've had it happen to me in the past, usually a lack of nutrients and/or fluids throughout the round. I tend to get so focused on my golf I forget to eat and drink and by the time I realize it, it's too late, especially with fluids. Been getting better and staying fueled and hydrated more before a round, I definitely notice a difference with how I feel afterwards.

I am not convinced that inter-round nutrition is anything more than a placebo. I won't comment on that. All I will add, maybe just get used to playing 18 holes more often. I dunno...

...golf is hard.

I am not convinced that inter-round nutrition is anything more than a placebo. I won't comment on that. All I will add, maybe just get used to playing 18 holes more often. I dunno...

...golf is hard.

I mean, it’s no different than working out when you haven’t eaten enough right? Leg day on an empty stomach for me is a definite decrease in performance and stamina. There’s nothing in the tank to keep you fueled.

I mean, it’s no different than working out when you haven’t eaten enough right? Leg day on an empty stomach for me is a definite decrease in performance and stamina. There’s nothing in the tank to keep you fueled.

I often don't eat anything before or during a morning round and don't have any issues with energy or fatigue. Golf is not very taxing on my muscles or cardio like cycling or other endurance sports so fueling up during a round is not necessary for me. After all, your muscles store about 2,000 calories of glycogen, more than enough for one of my normal rounds.

Staying mentally focused and playing one shot at a time for 18 holes can be challenging for me some days, especially if play is slow.

...golf is hard.

i'm curious about this. i often see the guys on tour snacking during the round. we also see them drinking those colored beverages that are some special concoction (i can also think of tennis players doing this too). do you think they are getting bad advice from their trainers? genuinely asking because i don't know anything about the subject, just what i see when watching on tv.

I often don't eat anything before or during a morning round and don't have any issues with energy or fatigue. Golf is not very taxing on my muscles or cardio like cycling or other endurance sports so fueling up during a round is not necessary for me. After all, your muscles store about 2,000 calories of glycogen, more than enough for one of my normal rounds.

Staying mentally focused and playing one shot at a time for 18 holes can be challenging for me some days, especially if play is slow.

High 80’s to mid 90’s, I’m starving after my round. Also, soaked haha

That's different than eating a sandwich on hole 6 thinking that in 90 minutes you're going to get a sudden boost energy on the back 9.

Having the right foods in the system is important, I'm just not convinced that anything we eat during a round of golf actually helps us during the round. This is solely based on my understanding of how long food takes to be ingested and then digest.

I don't know if I would play much golf any later than a 7 am tee time on a typical Florida summer day. We will be down in Naples for a few days in August to check on our condo remodel and I don't plan on straying very far from the beach or pool and my cooler of IPA!:act-up:

I've played some of my best rounds ever this summer (and late spring) with zero food during the round (and likely before at least 1 of the 3 rounds). Starvation (hunger) should never be a factor if you're properly nourishing your body (i.e. not relying on carbs for energy).

i'm curious about this. i often see the guys on tour snacking during the round. we also see them drinking those colored beverages that are some special concoction (i can also think of tennis players doing this too). do you think they are getting bad advice from their trainers? genuinely asking because i don't know anything about the subject, just what i see when watching on tv.
I don't think they're getting *bad* advice. Liquid is different than food, in my understanding. Additionally, nutrition science is not in agreement over BCAA supplements (what they're probably drinking).

I think a major part of this is that humans, especially of the socioeconomic class that can golf, are not used to discomfort. The mere thought of us being hungry takes our focus away from the task at hand.

Last edited:
That's different than eating a sandwich on hole 6 thinking that in 90 minutes you're going to get a sudden boost energy on the back 9.

Having the right foods in the system is important, I'm just not convinced that anything we eat during a round of golf actually helps us during the round. This is solely based on my understanding of how long food takes to be ingested and then digest.

I guess in my mind, I can’t concentrate quite as sharp if I can feel my stomach growling when over the ball. A sandwich isn’t gonna do anything, but something that’s gonna just keep me from crashing is better than nothing.

I don't know if I would play much golf any later than a 7 am tee time on a typical Florida summer day. We will be down in Naples for a few days in August to check on our condo remodel and I don't plan on straying very far from the beach or pool and my cooler of IPA!:act-up:

Early tee time = only slightly cooler temps, yet higher humidity. I feel like I sweat more and can’t keep the grips from getting a bit slick

I've played some of my best rounds ever this summer (and late spring) with zero food during the round (and likely before at least 1 of the 3 rounds). Starvation (hunger) should never be a factor if you're properly nourishing your body (i.e. not relying on carbs for energy).

If I skip breakfast, I know I’m playing like trash. It’s usually eggs and oatmeal

I guess in my mind, I can’t concentrate quite as sharp if I can feel my stomach growling when over the ball. A sandwich isn’t gonna do anything, but something that’s gonna just keep me from crashing is better than nothing.

See my below.

I think a major part of this is that humans, especially of the socioeconomic class that can golf, are not used to discomfort. The mere thought of us being hungry takes our focus away from the task at hand.

The merely thought of us being hungry takes our focus away from the task at hand.

THIS!

Furthermore, our first thought of being hungry is likely less about hunger than thirst. If we would turn our attention to hydration, our food requirements would be much lower.

What if I’m just a fat and like food man lol

I am fatter than you, I understand. I am usually thinking about dinner before I tee off for my Wednesday night league round.

Back