The back 9 breakdown....

That's different than eating a sandwich on hole 6 thinking that in 90 minutes you're going to get a sudden boost energy on the back 9.

Having the right foods in the system is important, I'm just not convinced that anything we eat during a round of golf actually helps us during the round. This is solely based on my understanding of how long food takes to be ingested and then digest.

I agree with that. Im not at all any in the know about nutrition. But I believe even water needs about 45 minutes to do its thing. Thats why pre -eating and pre- hydrating is far more important than doing it during. That said, drinking cold water does help cool the interior some. I am known on a hot humid day to be pouring cold water over my head and neck and down my back. Im soaked sweating anyway from head to toe so may as well be cold water instead of more sweat. Wakes me right up.

my bad play is never related to any specific 9 (generally speaking).
My bad holes have no rhyme or reason. Could pop up all in a row and also could be scattered evenly throughout the round. Could be hole 17 and 18 and also holes 1 and 2. Could be hole 59,11,16. It just doesnt matter.

But I said "generally" because there are some times fatigue can set in on those most hottest and most humid days. They can wear me down towards the end for sure.
Also I am up 430 am and if playing late (like till sunset) that can wear me down some too. Combine that with also being very hot and humid and yea i can fall apart late in the round.

But outside those specific factors and just any basic round? no, back 9 , front 9, whatever hole anywhere any time can be my best or worst holes. They just happen when they happen.

The back nine is usually when I play my best golf. I know I have a tendency to overswing and think being a bit tired helps me slow down and hit better shots. Its not all the time but probably 70% of time back nine is better than front

if i'm rolling around and think i have an opportunity to post a good number, i start doing stupid things instead of sticking what worked on the front 9.

Probably this more often then not, but it was just 3 holes of pure awfulness then was turned it around with 3 to go. Not trying crazy things, just literally forgot how to play golf for 3 holes in a row.

Has nothing to do with food or fatigue.

ALL MENTAL

All those who have play with me know I am Mr. 5 Holes. I look like a very low handicapper on the first 5 holes, then slowly drift, have 2 blow up holes in a row and drift some more. I end up over thinking and trying to correct that one or two shots that went offline, which only ends up making it go from one or two shots to all of the shots. I am finding more and more the better players are better, not because of a bazillion hours of practice or a natural ability to swing a golf club, its because they can shake off a bad result and stick to the game plan. Whereas I will follow up a bad result with a bad result the other way as an over correction to only follow that with a bad result the same as the first as to over correct the over correction. One can see I am chasing my tail for the rest of the round.

Actually I might be closer to what CJ said. I start off Ok, around hole 6 kinda lose it a bit and have 2-3 bad holes and then the back 9 stay ok,

P.S. - the website this afternoon totally went to a different look for me

Some of this is our inability to understand probability. We need to really understand that shooting a good front 9 doesn't mean we are all of the sudden a much better golfer, it means we had more than our fair share of good results in that 9. That could continue on the back 9, the back 9 could be more normal, and the back 9 could be worse than normal. All 3 of those options are probably about equally likely and 2 of those options are worse than our good front 9, so the odds are we're going to do worse on the back 9 if we did good on the front 9.

I thought/felt like I'm a better back half scorer until I just ran the numbers. Turns out it's pretty even on the year. Better on the front nines by one stroke. I don't think I lose focus on the first part of the back, but that's definitely when I score the worst. Like another said, I think I'm finally really loose by then and probably try to do too much. Doesn't seem to work out at first, and then I usually go on a good run over the last handfuls of holes. Almost all my consecutive birdie streaks of note are on the back halfs.

My home course is probably skewing the numbers a bit though. #10 is a 230 yd par 3 into a smallish green that's tough to hit and hold. It's always howling there, the green has a serious back to front slope, and zero room for error to the left. Not my favorite.

I"m always well fed and hydrated too, as I know the effect that has on endurance. Getting enough sleep is what can kill my focus towards the end of the day. And work calls/messages. If I make the mistake of checking my phone for something other than yardage things can go south in a hurry!

I’ve disproved my original post. The last two rounds my back nine was significantly better than the front............golf

Back