Social Media Influencers & Golf

For those who have made club or ball purchases based on a review or influencer coverage, did you do so right-out or did you also validate through a fitting?

Last year I purchased Srixon 765 irons and Callaway Rogue driver/woods based on positive reviews from THP and some other golf sites, and made those purchases without validation of a fitting. I actually purchased those items without ever hitting the clubs, and I ended up being very pleased with the performance of each club.

If @Jman is an "influencer," then I have most definitely made purchases based on his reviews without first testing. For me, it comes down to trust. I enjoy the Crossfield/Lockey videos, but I'm not going to buy a Titleist product just because Crossfield tells me its great--he's paid to say that, even if he doesn't mean it. But if you share numbers, and provide your opinions on the pros/cons, AND I've experienced results consistent with your past reviews, then I'm comfortable pulling the trigger on products without first independently testing.

Social media influencers, whether you like the name or not, have become a valuable marketing tool for brands across the golf spectrum. There is no questioning the fact that social media plays a major role in sales, driven mainly by these personalities. And, of course, influencers have received their fair share of criticism recently.

What are your thoughts on this trend?

They have zero influence on me. If someone wants to make their purchasing decisions based on what some "personality" says, that is their prerogative.

For those who have made club or ball purchases based on a review or influencer coverage, did you do so right-out or did you also validate through a fitting?

I’ve not made any big purchases inspired by influencers, so I didn’t bother with a fitting for golf balls and the like.

If I weren’t about to have another kid, I would buy a TM Original One based on what Finch has said about it. I wouldn’t bother getting fit for it, but that’s more because of where I live in relation to a fitting center.

I’m not sure why it’s a point of pride to announce that you’ve never made a purchase based on an advertisement. Go you. I don’t mind spending money with companies who support the people creating the content I consume.

I’m no fan of influencers and it’s going to get a lot harder to maintain that as a lifestyle. The market is crowded, things get stale, and laws/regulations are going to make things harder to appear organic. I just don’t see how companies possibly see a return on investment in any situation that isn’t a kickback.

I’m no fan of influencers and it’s going to get a lot harder to maintain that as a lifestyle. The market is crowded, things get stale, and laws/regulations are going to make things harder to appear organic. I just don’t see how companies possibly see a return on investment in any situation that isn’t a kickback.

You’ve influenced me to take a trip to Hawaii

You’ve influenced me to take a trip to Hawaii

Good - the kickbacks on that’s are great. The other thing I realized too is that a lot of these influencers are all using the same eyes. The followers are the same, so what is the value of one over the other? And won’t there be a race to the bottom as a result?

Good - the kickbacks on that’s are great. The other thing I realized too is that a lot of these influencers are all using the same eyes. The followers are the same, so what is the value of one over the other? And won’t there be a race to the bottom as a result?

Like BitCoin get rich quick and get out fast

This is shaping up to be a very interesting conversation. Keep it up!

There's a good mix of opinions expressed in this thread, and I have to honestly say I am a bit surprised at those who made a purchase right away... even without hitting the clubs first. No judgement of course; but I think those examples highlight the very reason why brands rely on social media influencers.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting conversation. Keep it up!

There's a good mix of opinions expressed in this thread, and I have to honestly say I am a bit surprised at those who made a purchase right away... even without hitting the clubs first. No judgement of course; but I think those examples highlight the very reason why brands rely on social media influencers.

I’d say a major factor in not hitting clubs prior to buying them is not having easy access to hitting clubs. For my case, GG and PGASS are ~2 hours away from where I live and a drive I just don’t like to make.

Other factors include people just buying clubs that are popular or hot at the moment so that they can say they have the latest and greatest. There’s a reason OEMs and golf sites release WITB after wins, and that’s because it has a significant impact on sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say a major factor in not hitting clubs prior to hitting them is not having easy access to hitting clubs. For my case, GG and PGASS are ~2 hours away from where I live and a drive I just don’t like to make.

Other factors include people just buying clubs that are popular or hot at the moment so that they can say they have the latest and greatest. There’s a reason OEMs and golf sites release WITB after wins, and that’s because it has a significant impact on sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. That's definitely a big part of it too. Even in a major US city, we basically have just GG, who has massively cut down on club testing since moving into Dick's space and who doesn't carry brands like Tour Edge, Srixon, etc. I think those are the types of brands that can benefit the most from social influencers.

Social media influencers, whether you like the name or not, have become a valuable marketing tool for brands across the golf spectrum. There is no questioning the fact that social media plays a major role in sales, driven mainly by these personalities. And, of course, influencers have received their fair share of criticism recently.

What are your thoughts on this trend?

I think every positive avenue that is created for the game of golf to grow is a wonderful thing.

As long as they are engaging in a positive way and seeking to improve the golf landscape, I'm all in.

I think every positive avenue that is created for the game of golf to grow is a wonderful thing.

As long as they are engaging in a positive way and seeking to improve the golf landscape, I'm all in.

I have similar thoughts. I don't really care for social media influencers, but I get they are a good avenue for companies to get some recognition at a low cost.

In the end they don't sway my buying decisions.

I follow a few on instagram and twitter, but I can say that they do not have any DIRECT impact on my purchases. But I honestly can't say they don't have a subconscious impact on thought processes and eventual purchases.

if someone came to me and said they were going to pay me 60% of my current salary and cover costs for me to go golf all the time...would be hard to pass up.

It's a little different but, if not for THP and members here, I wouldn't likely have tried PUMA shoes, equipment from Callaway or Srixon, some brands of clothing, golf balls from Srixon, Snell or Wilson or an OGIO golf bag. I'm sure there is more but that's all I that comes to mind now.

Odyssey spent a pretty penny on us at the Odyssey Experience - putters, a bag, a shirt, balls and other swag, for example - for whatever social media and message board influence we could bring to the table. I know I got a helluva deal with the OE but I'm pretty sure Odyssey for plenty for its investment.

As to the last quoted sentence, I'd be out the f'n door, telling law practice to KMA.

In the end they don't sway my buying decisions.

This is my exact thoughts.

I don't mind them it's a great way to get their brand in front of the consumer in a different way. If they "influence" people so be it.

It's a little different but, if not for THP and members here, I wouldn't likely have tried PUMA shoes, equipment from Callaway or Srixon, some brands of clothing, golf balls from Srixon, Snell or Wilson or an OGIO golf bag. I'm sure there is more but that's all I that comes to mind now.

Odyssey spent a pretty penny on us at the Odyssey Experience - putters, a bag, a shirt, balls and other swag, for example - for whatever social media and message board influence we could bring to the table. I know I got a helluva deal with the OE but I'm pretty sure Odyssey for plenty for its investment.

As to the last quoted sentence, I'd be out the f'n door, telling law practice to KMA.

But do you consider your self or any of the THPers that went to the OE as influencers? I don't, collectively THPers might be influencers, but individually I would say 99.9% of us are consumers 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

But do you consider your self or any of the THPers that went to the OE as influencers? I don't, collectively THPers might be influencers, but individually I would say 99.9% of us are consumers 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I think we are, but to a considerably lesser degree. I'm more likely to check out a product, whether to try it or just read something about it, because of the folks here than I am from an unknown on Twitter or IG.

Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective.

I think we are, but to a considerably lesser degree. I'm more likely to check out a product, whether to try it or just read something about it, because of the folks here than I am from an unknown on Twitter or IG.

Maybe I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective.

To me, an influencer is someone who makes their living based on a social media presence, mainly due to their ability to a) draw a massive amount of followers and b) influence at least a percentage of their followers into doing/trying certain things. IE, Kim Kardashian, Peter finch, Mark Crossfield are ones that I would look at in the golf space particularly. As I mentioned, I think collectively THP can legitimately influence, but individually most of us are like farts in a hurricane. Sure there is something happening but the impact is in immediate area of those around us and very short lived.

To me, an influencer is someone who makes their living based on a social media presence, mainly due to their ability to a) draw a massive amount of followers and b) influence at least a percentage of their followers into doing/trying certain things. IE, Kim Kardashian, Peter finch, Mark Crossfield are ones that I would look at in the golf space particularly. As I mentioned, I think collectively THP can legitimately influence, but individually most of us are like farts in a hurricane. Sure there is something happening but the impact is in immediate area of those around us and very short lived.

I can't disagree with that perspective.

I Agree with this. For me, seeing something online might spark an interest (resulting in additional research), but almost always would not result in a direct purchase. With THP though, info found here on a product could result in a buying decision pretty quickly. The reasoning for me on this is THP is filled with feedback and info from average joe's like me that have actually tried the product and/or used the product. Plus the info on THP is so detailed and comprehensive it just lends itself to making a good informed buying decision.

I don't mind them and think that sometimes they can be informative. However, if you don't due your own research/testing you might be disappointed. I would consider them similar to any athlete who endorses a product because they are paid to.

Maximize your reach. Smart move for brands and influencers as long as both maintain their integrity.

I would say THP as a whole is definitely a form of social media influence. I place online forums in the same category of "social media", mainly because the content is user-generated.

That's the benefit brands who partner with THP see.

I would say THP as a whole is definitely a form of social media influence. I place online forums in the same category of "social media", mainly because the content is user-generated.

That's the benefit brands who partner with THP see.

If that's the case, then my entire bag (sans 5W and 3H) has been "influenced" by social media.

robrandalgz;n8633283 said:
If that's the case, then my entire bag (sans 5W and 3H) has been "influenced" by social media.

That statement applies to me as well (All 14 clubs). THP and YouTube are the only “social media forum “ that I participate in.

Back