Will They Drop The New Drop Rule?

leftshot

Remember to smile
Reaction score
Will the USGA and R&A drop the new knee high drop rule? Should they? What should it be?

Just do somewhere between shoulders and knees and call it a day in my opinion

No they won't. Not any sillier then dropping it behind you head.

This seems like a good candidate for a adjustment but the USGA does what they want!

I think the rule should be that the drop has to be from a height between your shortest and longest clubs

I had no problem with the old drop rule. Or the new one.

Just pick any method they want and stick with it.

This seems like a good candidate for a adjustment but the USGA does what they want!

So true! Current rule just seems silly. But whatever . . .

I could see it be changed eventually, but not after the first year. I guess it depends how prideful they are but could always wait a few years and use the ole “after many years of research and data, we conclude that...” and change the rule that way.

There was nothing wrong with the previous drop height. They won't change it back IMO.

Come on, it's the USGA, no one knows what they're thinking!!!

Why should they, it's a perfectly acceptable method!

The rule is fine. Golfers are divas.

After doing it for the majority of the season, I'm fine with it

Last edited:
I really see no reason to change it at all.

As long as the player isn’t trying to be a dramatic person it’s fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of this new drop rule for the simple reason that I find myself doing the strange "I'm a little tea pot" thing to get the ball below my knee. I think the answer to this should be dropping between shoulder and knee height.

I am not a big fan of this new drop rule for the simple reason that I find myself doing the strange "I'm a little tea pot" thing to get the ball below my knee. I think the answer to this should be dropping between shoulder and knee height.
This^^^^^^^^

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I understand their reasons for reducing the height from which the drop occurs or even not considering placing the ball right off the bat. However, going back to shoulder high or in between defeats those purposes. I think the drop should occur from the arm hanging straight down at one's side, held out only far enough to avoid dropping the ball on one's shoe. I think that would still eliminate most of the multiple drop situations and those situations where a player is intentionally trying to get multiple drops to be able to place the ball.

Does anyone really drop it legit anyway if they're not on TV? I don't think I've seen anyone on course with me drop it the way it's supposed to be dropped.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Does anyone really drop it legit anyway if they're not on TV? I don't think I've seen anyone on course with me drop it the way it's supposed to be dropped.

Tournaments. I actually had to tell the guy I was marking to re drop because he did it barely below shoulder height. Any other time my drops are from wherever including an under hand toss.

Most golf in Italy is played as club tournaments, and a loud minority of golfers in Italy are quite fastidious. So when I play there I have to remind myself on dropping properly as people will find an excuse to call you out on rules (I have had someone say my ball which was clearly in a water hazard behind the green should be counted as a lost ball because I didn't have evidence it ended up in the water).

Most golf in Italy is played as club tournaments, and a loud minority of golfers in Italy are quite fastidious. So when I play there I have to remind myself on dropping properly as people will find an excuse to call you out on rules (I have had someone say my ball which was clearly in a water hazard behind the green should be counted as a lost ball because I didn't have evidence it ended up in the water).

That is absurd and my response would be I saw it go in now go **** yourself

Could you see it? Did you see it splash?

Could you see it? Did you see it splash?

It was one of those water hazards that aren't really a clear lake but more like a lake with vegetation in them. It was behind an elevated green so I didn't see it land however it was a flyer so it was 100% clear I had sailed over the green and landed in it. I ended up telling them that I didn't have evidence but they were welcome to go for a swim to look for it if they were so hell-bent on trying to senselessly penalize me.

It was one of those water hazards that aren't really a clear lake but more like a lake with vegetation in them. It was behind an elevated green so I didn't see it land however it was a flyer so it was 100% clear I had sailed over the green and landed in it. I ended up telling them that I didn't have evidence but they were welcome to go for a swim to look for it if they were so hell-bent on trying to senselessly penalize me.

Yeah that is were you go I am sure it is in the water and you are welcome to spend 3 minutes trying to find my ball and prove me otherwise.

Back