Will They Drop The New Drop Rule?

Yeah that is were you go I am sure it is in the water and you are welcome to spend 3 minutes trying to find my ball and prove me otherwise.
It was one of those water hazards that aren't really a clear lake but more like a lake with vegetation in them. It was behind an elevated green so I didn't see it land however it was a flyer so it was 100% clear I had sailed over the green and landed in it. I ended up telling them that I didn't have evidence but they were welcome to go for a swim to look for it if they were so hell-bent on trying to senselessly penalize me.
This is one of those that specifies "reasonable evidence" isn't it? I hate vague rules. Leaves so much up to feelings. Facts > feelings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is one of those that specifies "reasonable evidence" isn't it? I hate vague rules. Leaves so much up to feelings. Facts > feelings.

I feel like in this sense reasonable evidence makes sense. You aren’t always going to be 100% sure so it’s unfair to get penalised for something 90% sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the knee drop rule. I think if people would quit whining about it and just do it they'll find it's not any worse than dropping from any other height, and it increases the chance the ball legally enters play on the first try.

I feel like in this sense reasonable evidence makes sense. You aren’t always going to be 100% sure so it’s unfair to get penalised for something 90% sure.

I get what you're saying. Some people lean more toward "I'm pretty sure", I just lean way over toward "I need evidence". No one said we had to all be the same. Heaven forbid the world was full of people just like me.

Either the guys who design greens with water behind the greens has never read the Rules of Golf or the guys who wrote the Rules of Golf have never played a course with water over the green.

Years ago I belonged to a club with a peninsula green Par 3. Water in front, behind and left of the green. So you never be 100% certain your ball was in the water instead of plugged in the soft pond bank (covered in 2-3" rough) unless you flew the green by like 40 yards where you could see the splash. Not only that but you couldn't hit a provisional if you were pretty sure it plugged in the bank because some self-style Rules defender would say, "No provisionals for a water hazard". Total Catch-22 situation.

In everyday play, the procedure was simple. Go look for the ball, if you don't see it drop one in the rough at the back of the green under one stroke penalty. In club tournaments we were told to simply hit a second ball, assuming anything over the green was in the hazard. If our ball happened to be sitting in the rough abandon the second ball and play the original. Rules or no Rules.

I like the knee drop rule. I think if people would quit whining about it and just do it they'll find it's not any worse than dropping from any other height, and it increases the chance the ball legally enters play on the first try.

I would have been more supportive of them changing the rule to “above” the knee.

I would have been more supportive of them changing the rule to “above” the knee.

Should’ve just made it “from shoulder to knee height”.

Easy peasy.

Easy peasy.

I’ve been screaming this from the mountain tops to people who ask about it in person. If I could thank ten times, I would.

Easy peasy.

Beats doing this (which I have done exclusively this year lmao)

_105886530_rickiefowlertoiletdrop_twitter_-kennedyryanj.jpg

Easy peasy.

This is exactly what they should do. I don't mind it being knee height since you may get a little more favorable bounce when you drop it from that level but don't require it to be knee height.

I still prefer the underhand casual toss during friendly rounds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with the new rule.
If you can swing a golf club, why is it a problem to bend a little forward to drop the ball?

The pros do not like it because from less height, the ball is more likely to stay where it is dropped, drastically reducing the number of times a pro can place the ball.

Nah, the rule stays, and for casual golf this rule is meaningless, nobody cares how you drop the ball, just be in the right area for the drop and play on.

I still prefer the underhand casual toss during friendly rounds.

Not sure if you're serious but I am. I walk to where I'm going to drop, pull a ball out of my pocket and let it fall to the ground. That means I was dropping it from too low under the old rules and too high under the new ones. But nobody I play with cares.

I also don't measure out driver lengths and mark various spots with tees and all that jazz. I drop within a couple feet of the spot, no closer to the hole (although I don't measure that either) and get on with it.

I also don't try to work the drop to make it roll and give me a free placement. All that stuff the guys on TV do would drive me nuts if my bunch of hacker buddies started doing it every time we take a drop.

What is the logic behind the change?

Back