5 Wood over 3 hybrid for slower swing speeds?

-CRW-

Reaction score
Just curious for those of you that swing mid 80's with hybrids/fairways, do you see a sufficient distance gap between various hybrids/fairways on the top end?

My son swings his 4 hybrid around 84 mph, carries it around 190, and typically sees 200 yards total. His spin is around 4k with range balls. He tried a 3 hybrid, but the spin dropped down below 3k and he no longer gets the carry needed, so there is essentially no distance gap between the 3 & 4. Part of the problem could be that the 3 hybrid was a Rogue and the 4 is a W/S D350, so it might be that the Rogue head was too low spinning. He may also have found better results hitting indoors with better golf balls if they provided better spin numbers for his swing. There was actually not much difference in carry between his 5 and 4 hybrid (both W/S D350 with the same shafts), but we know on course the 5 comfortably gets him 190 total and the 4 at 200 total.

All that being said, I was looking for anyone who has similar swing speed who maybe found better luck with a 5 wood (or even specific make/model 3 hybrids)? He has a W/S D7 3 wood that he swings 87 mph and was getting about 2600 RPM spin with range balls. He carries it over 200 and typically ends up hitting it around 230 total. So we were looking for something to fill that gap. Something in the 210-220 total range, and primarily for off the tee.

Part of me wonders if it's just a waste of time completely until he gains more club speed. I don't want to waste the money now on a 3H/5W if it's just going to sit in the bag because it doesn't carry much more than his 4 hybrid.

Honestly IMO I think it would be hybrid for people who struggle with a slice and a 5 wood for people who struggle with a hook. That's probably a better break than slow or fast swing speed.

I do not know my swing speed. and I'm basically one step above a beginner. but when I bought my 5W (17.5deg), I first swung a 3W on the launch meter at the PGA store. then switched to the 5W. I constantly out hit the 3W with the 5W. more carry, better launch. I'm carrying the 5W over 200 for ~225 total distance. The 4 Hybrid I have that reduces to the 190-200 yard range.

Honestly IMO I think it would be hybrid for people who struggle with a slice and a 5 wood for people who struggle with a hook. That's probably a better break than slow or fast swing speed.

Neither is an issue for him. He does tend to over draw the hybrids, but understands its by design (for his D350’s anyway). He just shot 2 under in his 9 hole tournament Sunday and his path is always a few degrees right with a great face to path relationship. We don’t post anything in GHIN for him yet, but his index would be about 2-3 and trending lower.

Though we did notice in the shot map on his Trackman #’s that in general his hybrid dispersion pattern was much worse regardless of which hybrid he hit compared to his 3 wood.

I do not know my swing speed. and I'm basically one step above a beginner. but when I bought my 5W (17.5deg), I first swung a 3W on the launch meter at the PGA store. then switched to the 5W. I constantly out hit the 3W with the 5W. more carry, better launch. I'm carrying the 5W over 200 for ~225 total distance. The 4 Hybrid I have that reduces to the 190-200 yard range.

Without having done any testing, that’s a concern I have as well. That the added loft and spin of a 5 wood might result in better distances than his 3 wood. Which would be okay, but doesn’t solve our problem.

Try a Heavenwood. I have a similar swing speed and it is the best, most reliable club in my bag.

I could definitely see where a higher lofted FW would yield better results for him. The longer shaft should help add some SS and the added loft should keep the spin up to keep the ball in the air longer. With his recent scoring I don’t think ball striking is gonna be an issue for him with a little longer shaft.

5 wood imo. Honestly with that slow of swing speed getting a shaft that works for him will make both work or make both not work.

As an aside there is nothing wrong with dumping the 3w and having both 5w and 3h. The yardage gap matter not the number on a club.

Neither is an issue for him. He does tend to over draw the hybrids, but understands its by design (for his D350’s anyway). He just shot 2 under in his 9 hole tournament Sunday and his path is always a few degrees right with a great face to path relationship. We don’t post anything in GHIN for him yet, but his index would be about 2-3 and trending lower.

Though we did notice in the shot map on his Trackman #’s that in general his hybrid dispersion pattern was much worse regardless of which hybrid he hit compared to his 3 wood.
Sounds like he might want a wood then. My problem with fairway woods though is that they all go about the same distance. A 3 wood launches low and rolls out and a 5 wood launches high and sticks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 wood imo. Honestly with that slow of swing speed getting a shaft that works for him will make both work or make both not work.

As an aside there is nothing wrong with dumping the 3w and having both 5w and 3h. The yardage gap matter not the number on a club.

Sounds like he might want a wood then. My problem with fairway woods though is that they all go about the same distance. A 3 wood launches low and rolls out and a 5 wood launches high and sticks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's the issue he's having now with the hybrids. They carry essentially the same from 5 hybrid through 3 hybrid (the 4 just rolls out more than the 5). So the 5 wood might be similar or longer than the 3 wood if the launch conditions were better for his speed, which means we still don't fill the gap between roughly 200 and 230.

5 wood, 7 wood and 4 hybrid maybe.

That's the issue he's having now with the hybrids. They carry essentially the same from 5 hybrid through 3 hybrid (the 4 just rolls out more than the 5). So the 5 wood might be similar or longer than the 3 wood if the launch conditions were better for his speed, which means we still don't fill the gap between roughly 200 and 230.

in 200yd range, what is the variability of distance? For me it's 10-20yd on a good shots (which happen not too often...). I just question the need to fill 10-20yd gaps in that range as there is a lot of variability anyhow and how often does one hit and hold greens from 200yd? You anyways need to wedge yourself to green. I would not get more clubs but get more skilled with current ones. Just my 2 cents :)

5 wood, 7 wood and 4 hybrid maybe.

He has a ~70 gm shaft in his driver and 3 wood, but 80’s in his hybrids. So maybe a 5W7W (or heavenwood) with the same 70 gm shaft as his 3 wood would get him distance without carrying longer than the 3w.

I know we will have to do some testing, but I’m trying to narrow down where we look before testing happens.

I am a little below that speed, never looked at hybrid swing speed, but my carry is a club shorter than what you listed. In my fitting we found the 5W got more launch with similar ball speed and spin, resulting in longer carry and more stopping power than a similarly lofted 3H.

If similar contact is made with the longer shafted 5W as opposed to a 3H I would go that way all day. For most OEMs that is going to be a 2" longer shaft in the FW than the hybrid.

To add on though, I have always loved hitting a 5W, but prefer ones with smaller/thinner heads. Your son's opinion may not be the same.

Seems like you have the right idea. Sadly testing is the best way to figure it all out.

in 200yd range, what is the variability of distance? For me it's 10-20yd on a good shots (which happen not too often...). I just question the need to fill 10-20yd gaps in that range as there is a lot of variability anyhow and how often does one hit and hold greens from 200yd? You anyways need to wedge yourself to green. I would not get more clubs but get more skilled with current ones. Just my 2 cents :)

He’s a low single digit so very little variability in distance. And the only time he has 200 or so to a green from his tees are a second shot on par 5’s, which he almost always goes for. Our scoring plan is par the 3’s, birdie the 5’s (rare eagles), and let the par 4’s fall where they may.

This club will primarily be used off the tee on holes where it is optimal to hit more than 200, but where 230 could get him in trouble. He already has 4 wedges in the bag - PW, 48, 54, 58. And they all gap nicely.

First of all, congrats! 2-3 HC is amazing.

I think you answered your question though. If his dispersion is much better with woods, that’s the ticket. Maybe even going 5w/7w or similar to fit the gapping right and forgetting all about hybrids for now.

The kids a 2-3 and trending down. I’m going to take a stab and say there isn’t a 20 yard variance in his good strikes, lol. Maybe wind and terrain factored in, for sure, but you adjust for that.

Im not a long hitter and I find that a 5-wood works better for me than a hybrid. For me, its the longer shaft and head that is more forgiving and tends to promote a higher launch. I never have been a fan of hybrids but I love my 5-wood. For me, its straight, easy to hit out of any lie and a reliable 200 yard shot.

The kids a 2-3 and trending down. I’m going to take a stab and say there isn’t a 20 yard variance in his good strikes, lol. Maybe wind and terrain factored in, for sure, but you adjust for that.

When he was on Trackman last week these were his averages for 8i and 4h:

A5yZRtJ.jpg

QfDqmhl.jpg

So about 2 yards with a wedge/short iron and 5 yards with his longer irons/hybrids. When he misses it is left to right, but within the expected carry/totals.

I actually think the numbers are a little tighter with better balls (these were range balls). His launch, spin, and carry are higher and total is roughly the same.

I'd get a 5w and loft it up a little. 18* 5w playing at 19-19.5* should fit the bill. Even at a little higher swing speed, I had a similar issue with hybrids, and utility irons actually. A 3h and 4h would carry the same, but the 3h would roll out more due to lower spin. Same thing with the 3ut and 4ut. I went with 5w lofted up, 4 UT as my combo and it has worked out well when I'm swinging well.

Yeah, 1 wood, 1 hybrid, then the longest iron you can hit is about what's practical for anyone. With 14 clubs most slower swing players are going to have long clubs that aren't different enough to justify learning both of them. I hit a 3, 4, & 5 wood the same and a 7 wood the same as a 3 or 4 hybrid. Then I hit a 4 iron and 5 iron about the same. The ballflight is different, but the distance is real close. For me picking the flight I want helps me pick the club. Then just roll with 13 clubs.

5W vs hybrid: as swing speed increases you should tend to move towards a long hybrid like a Ping 17 degree G410. It is adjustable and can be dialed in for the distance gap. The shaft is important to get the correct launch so get something that iWorks for him now and you can reshaft later. As he grows into his swing and body he will migrate to utility iron like a callaway UT around 21 degrees. Until he can launch it correctly stay with the hybrid. The 5W as he gets stronger will result in a higher hook and will end up not being used and just take up room in the bag!

When he was on Trackman last week these were his averages for 8i and 4h:

A5yZRtJ.jpg

QfDqmhl.jpg

So about 2 yards with a wedge/short iron and 5 yards with his longer irons/hybrids. When he misses it is left to right, but within the expected carry/totals.

I actually think the numbers are a little tighter with better balls (these were range balls). His launch, spin, and carry are higher and total is roughly the same.

I wish I was that consistent! Nice numbers for sure!

Back