Ignorance is Bliss - Help Avoiding Bitterness

Nice golf courses cost money to maintain. Rather than be bitter, focus you energy on finding a way to play better courses - leagues, golf groups w/members that host guests, or even a side hustle or two for your golf slush fund.

I’ll have to ask him. My rounds will be falling hardcore with a baby on the way but I’m going to use the decline in golf as a method to strategize and save some coin so I can join a club that wife and son can use as well. At least that’s the plan, likely a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I backed off on my number of rounds significantly the first 5 years of fatherhood but got back to playing more(45 rounds a year) when my son turned 5 and I started dragging him to the course. By the time my 3rd child was 4-5 years old a decade ago I was back up to 65-80 rounds per year and that was with not playing at all from October through mid March. Now my youngest daughter(age 14) plays and we get 35+ rounds in together(along with my other 75 rounds with buddies) each year and this will increase with her playing on the high school golf team next spring. You have lots to look forward to!!

"I could get used to this" as a reaction to luxury is, when you get down to it, terrifying because all it does it make it harder to be satisfied.

I've been fortunate enough to play a lot of nice courses in the area thanks to some friends. It's great to hit off clean grass on a driving range, nice chipping area, and good greens to putt on.

I still mix in some goat tracks but recently played one where the driving range was hitting out of dirt rough, bunkers had weeds all over them, and the greens were bumpy as hell. Not quite the private course track haha.

Attitude just changes to "hey at least I'm golfing" rather than be annoyed at a less than average course.

I've been fortunate enough to play a lot of nice courses in the area thanks to some friends. It's great to hit off clean grass on a driving range, nice chipping area, and good greens to putt on.

I still mix in some goat tracks but recently played one where the driving range was hitting out of dirt rough, bunkers had weeds all over them, and the greens were bumpy as hell. Not quite the private course track haha.

Attitude just changes to "hey at least I'm golfing" rather than be annoyed at a less than average course.

I’m definitely beyond the “hey at least I’m playing golf” stage in my playing life though.

The last two seasons have really been hard to avoid viewing the high end courses as the norm and instead as treats. It slowly crept in because in the past it was likely a once a season thing and now it seems like the last two years it’s 5 round at my average home course then a round or two somewhere remarkable, back to my home for 5, back to killer course, and so on and so forth.

Get a job that makes more money. Play nicer courses. Pretty simple math.

Or, play the sorriest dumps you can find exclusively for a month. That'll reset your definition of what a decent course is.

Get a job that makes more money. Play nicer courses. Pretty simple math.

Or, play the sorriest dumps you can find exclusively for a month. That'll reset your definition of what a decent course is.

Didn’t think of the making more money thing.

I have heard this argument of the "privileged" seeping into every aspect of life now because a bunch of people want to pass judgement on another group of people. :banghead: If you are supper bitter about playing golf there is an easy solution, stop playing.

Nabnasset Lake and Mount Pleasant are both affordable private clubs near you. 9 hole tracks, but probably close to what you paid for Butter Brook this year. Mount Pleasant may be the best you can do around here, I've heard it has a good playing membership.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sounds similar to my skiing issue.

When I lived in Colorado I got to ski some of the best terrain around for cheap money as a resident. Moved back to New England and it just was not the same and lost interest for a bit in skiing. But then I found enough good terrain to make it interesting and challenging and it worked out. Had to travel a bit to ski the good stuff and I am a ski snob but oh well. As others noted you might have to travel some to get to the better challenging courses that are public, but you love to golf so therefore its worth it.

Unfortunately, joining a private club is expensive in MA, just like getting season passes to a mountain. I also like variety.

Sounds similar to my skiing issue.

When I lived in Colorado I got to ski some of the best terrain around for cheap money as a resident. Moved back to New England and it just was not the same and lost interest for a bit in skiing. But then I found enough good terrain to make it interesting and challenging and it worked out. Had to travel a bit to ski the good stuff and I am a ski snob but oh well. As others noted you might have to travel some to get to the better challenging courses that are public, but you love to golf so therefore its worth it.

Unfortunately, joining a private club is expensive in MA, just like getting season passes to a mountain. I also like variety.

I get it. Skiing is more of a passion than golf for me and I've logged about 2,500 days on the slopes. I was only 90 minutes from all the Tahoe ski resorts from 1998-2018 so I really miss the 50+ ski days in the mountains now that I'm in Minnesota. 300 verticle foot drops just don't cut it. I ski a little bit here but next winter I have ski weeks in Utah and British Columbia planned. 12 days in the mountains is better than none at all.

I get it. Skiing is more of a passion than golf for me and I've logged about 2,500 days on the slopes. I was only 90 minutes from all the Tahoe ski resorts from 1998-2018 so I really miss the 50+ ski days in the mountains now that I'm in Minnesota. 300 verticle foot drops just don't cut it. I ski a little bit here but next winter I have ski weeks in Utah and British Columbia planned. 12 days in the mountains is better than none at all.

We go west every winter too. Kicking Horse is a must out in BC

Although I understand your feeling, I never see it that way. I've been fortunate enough to play some excellent courses, and wish I could on a consistent basis, but I love to play whenever and whenever I have the opportunity. I can make the best out of a goat track or the best private course.

What's a "Richard?"

THP speak for being a dick. You can be a Tom or a Harry, but not a dick.

Pretty much rule numero uno here and when you’re lucky enough to get into an event, it’s is rule number 1 (I think, I’m not researching it but I certainly took it as rule number 1).

I’m definitely beyond the “hey at least I’m playing golf” stage in my playing life though.

The last two seasons have really been hard to avoid viewing the high end courses as the norm and instead as treats. It slowly crept in because in the past it was likely a once a season thing and now it seems like the last two years it’s 5 round at my average home course then a round or two somewhere remarkable, back to my home for 5, back to killer course, and so on and so forth.

Once the kids arrive, and particularly if they golf, your perspective will change.

I’d rather golf a round at a goat ranch with my boys than to play a nice course with others (about the same overall money around here) EVERY day of the week.

When they got into golf, I basically told them that we could afford to play a nice course once a month or we could play a crappy course oncepr twice a week. Everyone wanted to play the crappy courses and play more. We usually play one nice one a year together then the rest are played on courses that make your everyday courses look stellar, lol. I don’t even know what your everyday courses look like but trust me, they’re better. I’ve started threads about marijuana on the course and drunk a-holes threatening to beat me up with my kids around because of those type of courses.

Kids are a game changer. My middle son is particularly Golf blessed. He’s going to be a Freshman this year and he made his varsity 1 spot, and just posted a round on a terrifyingly hard course that I’ve never posted (in fairness to me, this course wasn’t around when I actually had some acumen for the game) a better score on. The greens are rediculous there. My best score there is an 87 with 43 putts, lol. It was a 75 type of day but those greens aren’t designed to roll as fast as they do now.

I’m assuming you’re rooted in the area that you’re in but that could be another thing to look at if you’re not. There’s one true CC left around here. It’s a great course, conditions pristine. Donald Ross gem. First year is 2500 with 50.00 a month food and beverage only. Second and on is 300.00 a month with 50.00 F&B and 25.00 Capitol Improvements. It also lets you access tons of other courses for a reasonable cart fee, or if primarily a walker, free. I always looked at the F&B as half of a family dinner every month and the CI just raising the price to $325.00 a month after year 1. I spent a year a millennium ago there as an Asst Pro (drinking buddies with the head pro and he conned me into taking a PAT so I could be his 90 hour a week slave there for a year) and it was a different world back then. 10k initiation got you in the door, dues were twice what they are now. Only names you’d heard of mainly in association with business owners in the area were members.

I’ve come so close to pulling the trigger on it so many times it’s not funny. If my middle son continues to progress and it looks like he could be college golf bound, I certainly will. The only reason I haven’t is my dad would never join and I enjoy golfing with him and he wouldn’t pay the guest fee nor would I want to every time, and most of the time that I could golf based on my work they have league play going on. If it’s worth it for my son to have access to quality instruction, and a first class practice area, I’ll do it.

I don’t know your situation but there is very affordable golf on great courses out there.

I’m definitely beyond the “hey at least I’m playing golf” stage in my playing life though.The last two seasons have really been hard to avoid viewing the high end courses as the norm and instead as treats. It slowly crept in because in the past it was likely a once a season thing and now it seems like the last two years it’s 5 round at my average home course then a round or two somewhere remarkable, back to my home for 5, back to killer course, and so on and so forth.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess just don’t play those 5 rounds, then if you don’t enjoy it anymore? Or is this thread just some sort of humblebrag? I guess I don’t understand this mentality. I’ve had the opportunity to play a lot of great courses, but like ArmyGolf said, I’m happy playing a course with a fun layout and less than stellar conditions. And I can count on at least a couple hands the people who I’m legitimately happy teeing it up anywhere with.

To add perspective to the thread the in season rates for the daily fee course that the OP is speaking about are:

cf6479e512b44acdf88a651efe9a5e66.jpg

ad4cda5925f54643bb78ccb2ca68cecc.jpg

I don't know, I've been very lucky to play some pretty fantastic courses but my favorite memories almost always come from the people I'm playing with whether it's a 5 star course or a goat track. Give me a goat track with some great people and I'm happy as a clam.

To add perspective to the thread the in season rates for the daily fee course that the OP is speaking about are:

cf6479e512b44acdf88a651efe9a5e66.jpg

ad4cda5925f54643bb78ccb2ca68cecc.jpg

I never play weekends... membership locks me out until playing after 2 and I hate playing at that time slot. It’s slow, gets me home past dinner, and they make me pay for a cart.

M-T to walk: 55... I never ride, ever.

Pretty middle of the road golf, money wise.

Ignorance is Bliss - Help Avoiding Bitterness

I guess just don’t play those 5 rounds, then if you don’t enjoy it anymore? Or is this thread just some sort of humblebrag? I guess I don’t understand this mentality. I’ve had the opportunity to play a lot of great courses, but like ArmyGolf said, I’m happy playing a course with a fun layout and less than stellar conditions. And I can count on at least a couple hands the people who I’m legitimately happy teeing it up anywhere with.

Trust me ... isn’t a humble brag, did I mention any course names here? Plus, I play these places as either a back door method (high school golf coach), some weird caddie connection (because I used to loop at a major course in MA) or as a mercy invite from a connection.

I’m talking pure golf... I don’t care about the locker room, what kind of talc they use, even the range doesn’t matter to me.

I’ve become really interested in course design and history and while it’s awesome to read a Coore Crenshaw design philosophy once you play one, yeah... it’s hard to overcome.

It’s like if all I’ve ever driven is a corolla and then one day someone offers me a Ferrari, I may not view the Corolla the same way.

Embrace your public track roots.

Trust me, it’s not about pretending to be someone I’m not... I’m actually driven by my working class roots, huge chip on my shoulder when I’m out playing with someone who grew up on a pristine CC fairway. Nothing brings more joy then to beat them, in a respectful and completely internal way.

IMO golf should be enjoyed on its own merits, not as a mere side benefit of elitist tastes. Do we forego sex unless it’s with a super model? Give up meals unless it’s at 5 star Michelin restaurants. Walk unless we can drive a Maserati?

I have been very fortunate to play some of the countries’ nicest courses. I still have tons of fun playing a local crap muni with friends.

Kids entering equation, oh wow. Game changer sir! Lol.

Get in the line with the rest of us 15-20 round a year schlupps. :)

Congrats and good luck!

Very much a game changer...figuratively and literally. My wife and I welcomed our son in 2018. Prior to meeting my wife, I was like the OP playing 100+ rounds a season. After buying a house (I live in Toronto, Canada where housing is stupid expensive relative to most people's income), it went down to about 50-60 just due to cost of carrying a mortgage. The summer my son was born, I played 13 rounds and that's only because I took a trip to Florida in November and was able to golf with my dad. This season, I'm currently sitting at 4 rounds. Season is almost over in Canada already....lol!

Hope the OP's experience regarding cutting back the golf is not like mine, but wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I am simply grateful to be able to play this great game. I rarely get to play a high end golf course, but when I do I appreciate it that much more.

I have played a lot of different courses and I rarely have a bad time. I have played many “dog Tracks” “goat pastures” and “gimmick “ courses. I also have played many “Upscale” courses. I can have a great time on them all.

Back