Advice needed ... I can't putt

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a low handicapper (6) but I can't putt.

Even writing that sounds stupid but it's true. It has always been my problem,but now that I have got to 5/6 it's really obvious.

Basically problem is I don't make enough of the gettable putts. I just have no confidence inside 6 feet and would miss at least 1 but prob closer to 2 or 3 from inside 4 feet every round.

I've joined in with the junior clinic with my boy and my chipping has come along awesome, but I still can't putt.

It's frustrating to chip to 3-4 feet and then miss the putt. I did this twice today.

I know it's mental, but I need some advice.
I had a lesson, but it's not technique from that distance. Plus I am better on the practice green :(

Help!?!?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

A few thoughts for your consideration:

1. Maybe consider a mallet putter if you dont already have one. The high moi and alignment aides help.

2. Consider a larger putter grip to help get the smaller twitch motions out of your stroke. I personally find the correct putter grip works wonders for me.

3. Draw a long alignment line on your ball and actually use it. You may be surprised by how well it works.

4. Practice more

Those are a few you may want to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been a great practicer when it comes to putting. I get bored quickly ... And I am actually good on practice green, or at least I think I am.

Maybe a new putter might be the go. I've been through a few over the years and can't say have ever had a putter that made a difference

try a callaway ball with triple track. golfers are notoriously terrible at aligning themselves properly.

get a mallet putter. i highly recommend odyssey stroke lab tuttle.

get a putter fitting to confirm length lie and loft.

keep your head down through impact. peeking is a problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My suggestions and this helped me

1. Get a putter fitting. More than anything this will tell you what type of stroke you have, help fix any issues with the stroke and more importantly what type of putter you should be using.

2. Get a putting mirror so you can have a consistent set up each time

3. Read Dave Stockton’s “Unconscious Putting”. This book helped me a lot understanding putting and how to free up my stroke and mind while putting.

4. Practice, practice, practice. Get a putting mat and practice those short putts. It’s mundane and at times not glamorous, but it will pay off on the course.

Never been a great practicer when it comes to putting. I get bored quickly ... And I am actually good on practice green, or at least I think I am.

Maybe a new putter might be the go. I've been through a few over the years and can't say have ever had a putter that made a difference

So are you willing to commit to a putting practice routine?

I was very similar to you the last couple of season where those shorter putts absolutely killed me. Here is what I did and it's improved immensely.

1. I read Unconscious Putting by Dave Stockton. Something about this book made sense to me and I immediately felt better with my putting.

2. I switched to a little bigger grip full time. Right now I'm using the P2 Tour Aware and absolutely love it.

3. Went left hand low with my index fingers down the shaft and committed to it. Left hand low has always felt more natural to me and the fingers down the shaft me it feel even better and in control.

4. If I go through a rough patch I'll swap out putters just for a change of scenery. It may not last long but kind of refreshes me.

5. This has been the biggest one this season: switching to a Callaway ball with Triple Track. In my case the Chrome Soft X. It is seriously one of the best equipment features ever and has changed my putting from 3-6 feet.

So are you willing to commit to a putting practice routine?
Firstly ... I love that you asked this ...

YES definitely yes. Got one in mind ???

Same boat here, 6 HC that leaves 3-4 out there every round.
When mine gets bad, I break out the small putting mirror & change putters. I have no issue practicing putting but don’t know what I’m working on so I too get bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's either aiming or mental. Break can be a killer on short putts if you cannot read them. If you are good at reading greens than it is mental and you are getting yippy when you swing over these. In that case you gotta get it out of your head and make confident sure strokes. The ball from 3 feet should be banging into the back of the cup. I think a lot of folks tighten their grip on short putts which eliminates the forgiveness gained from the weight of the putter.

I highly recommend the Putt Out trainer. It has helped me greatly not focus on the front of the cup.

I will be following this thread. Same handicap range and same putting issues.

Use the clock drill. 3, 6, 9 and 12 footers. Start on a flat spot and practice 3 foot putts until you can make 5 in a row. Then move back to 6 feet and do it until you can make 4/5 and move to 9 feet. Again, 3/5 or 4/5 then go to 12 feet and make 3/5
Do this on a flat putt until if becomes second nature. I use to have any putt under 5 feet until now I don't even think about it.
Once you do this then do the same with a small breaking putt and just increase the breaks.

Much higher handicap here, but same problem. 6 to 8 feet. Finally getting a few approach shots on in regulation, first put getting to within 8 foot range, couldn't hit them.

Started going to a practice green close to work, 30 minutes at lunch time. Don't know where I read this, probably Peltz, but suggested practicing with no break. Suggested Speed is everything. Tried this the past two weeks...two balls, 6 and 8 feet only, 30 minutes.

Last two rounds , my two best ever...5 over and 11 over. Eliminated triples, only two doubles per round. Putting real saved strokes.

I don't think it's mental at all. And if it's aim/starting line, it's still the putter. Go get fit. During a good fitting using either a mirror/laser or Sam Putt Lab you'll find that some putters/neck styles will not line up properly for you due to your perception of how that design should sit to line up to your intended target line.

That being said, alignment/aim should not be a factor at 4 feet. You should be able to aim several degrees off either direction and still make most putts. So weight (either total, head, or how the putter balances) could be a problem, or the grip. I would look to address both in a fitting by going with a high MOI mallet which likely means heavier head weight, and/or a larger grip to take the hands out of the equation as much as possible. There is a point of no return on the larger grip though at which point you'll start missing to one side consistently (usually the right for right handed golfers, or left for lefties).

ETA - lines on golf balls are worth trying, but I don't like them. It's the opposite of “Unconscious Putting”. I like Mike Malaska's method of letting your subconscious decide the best aim/address position based on feedback from what you see. Otherwise, your subconscious may try to steer the stroke without you actively/intentionally doing so.

You guys rock, actually makes me feel better to know I'm not alone

Also inspires me to do something about it.

Firstly ... I love that you asked this ...

YES definitely yes. Got one in mind ???

i used to miss a ton of short putts. Two things:

1) The Pelz Putting Tutor. I found that I had a recurring swing fault where I would decelerate the putter head on shorter putts rather than accelerate thru the ball. I was hitting longer putts straighter than shorter putts! On the longer ones I would keep a steady tempo but would get tentative and slow down on the shorter ones. That resulted in pushed putts. The Pelz Tutor was instrumental in pointing that out to me. Not sure if that's your issue... just saying that the Tutor helped me sort out the problem.

2) Snickerdog's circle drill in post #13... very helpful for me.

In regard to fighting off the boredom: I have to make a game out of it.

Example: when I practice chipping, I take 5 balls from just off the green and try to get up/down with all 5. I don't get to do anything else that day - no range balls, no playing any real holes, nothing - until I get it done. Makes it interesting and actually introduces some pressure that I have to handle.

Same with the circle putting drill. I keep track of stats and try to push my personal bests higher and higher.

I do the same w/ the Pelz Tutor. Hit 30 putts from 3 feet, keep track of how many mishits, try to push that number lower.

I’d strongly agree on the putter fitting too. Knowing that you are aiming correctly and have the right putter has helped immensely. It’s all about eliminating variables. Putt out is great too.

You guys rock, actually makes me feel better to know I'm not alone

Also inspires me to do something about it.

I've had big struggles this year with the putter, but recent putting lessons will hopefully get me on track. Much of it is in my head because I've missed so many putts lately. I missed a three footer for par yesterday, and six birdie puts under 8 feet. My ball-striking is the best it's been in years, and my index is up a stroke or two because of putting. 15 GIR yesterday and I shot 1 over par with my only birdies been a two-putt birdie and a five-footer made. I bogied the three holes where I missed the green, two of them when I chipped it inside of 6 feet. You are not alone!

I know it's mental, but I need some advice.
I had a lesson, but it's not technique from that distance. Plus I am better on the practice green :(

Help!?!?

It is a matter of being emotionally OK with missing while still trying your best to not miss. This can be a hard balance to maintain and for many people can require significant restructuring of thinking processes because they equate acceptance of mistake with indifference to mistake and it is hard to fully realize that these are different things.

I can't stand to let this go. 95% of the advice given in here is wrong. Almost everything that has been said will be nothing more than a crutch. It will help you for a period of time, until your confidence dwindles again, at which point in time, you will be right back where you are.

Source for Opinion: Dr. Bob Rotella, Putting Out of Your Mind.

Unless your putter has a physical defect, it is not the problem. I don't care if it was fit for you or not. It is not the problem. Give me about 30 minutes on a practice green with a $20.00 putter bought from the bargain bin at walmart, and I'll putt the same as I do now.

Think your putter path needs worked on? Nope. I'll tell you right now that you can watch the PGA tour any given day. Some have a 'straight back straight through' putting path. Other take it in and swing on an arc. Some probably have a swirl in their putting stroke if I paid enough attention. But I don't. You can make putts. You're just thinking too much about it.

Here are some stats. Justin Thomas leads the tours on putts inside 4', at 98%. Rory McIlroy is near the bottom, at 86%. These guys are tour players. Are your 4' putting stats really that much less? There are various data compilation sites out there with putting statistics for us mere mortals. For instance, I just found one from the Grint. It says that average putts for the 6-10 hdcp range is 33.7. The 1-5 hdcp range is 32.6. Do you fit within this?

All I'm saying is, a new putter and working on a new grip, maybe going side saddle with a reverse left hand low claw grip is like taking tylenol for bullet wound. It won't fix the source of the problem.

~Rock

1.) Left hand low
2.) Look at the hole while putting
3.) New putter

Especially with putting I don't think it hurts to shake things up - just to get out of a rut.

I can't stand to let this go. 95% of the advice given in here is wrong. Almost everything that has been said will be nothing more than a crutch. It will help you for a period of time, until your confidence dwindles again, at which point in time, you will be right back where you are.

Source for Opinion: Dr. Bob Rotella, Putting Out of Your Mind.

Unless your putter has a physical defect, it is not the problem. I don't care if it was fit for you or not. It is not the problem. Give me about 30 minutes on a practice green with a $20.00 putter bought from the bargain bin at walmart, and I'll putt the same as I do now.

Think your putter path needs worked on? Nope. I'll tell you right now that you can watch the PGA tour any given day. Some have a 'straight back straight through' putting path. Other take it in and swing on an arc. Some probably have a swirl in their putting stroke if I paid enough attention. But I don't. You can make putts. You're just thinking too much about it.

Here are some stats. Justin Thomas leads the tours on putts inside 4', at 98%. Rory McIlroy is near the bottom, at 86%. These guys are tour players. Are your 4' putting stats really that much less? There are various data compilation sites out there with putting statistics for us mere mortals. For instance, I just found one from the Grint. It says that average putts for the 6-10 hdcp range is 33.7. The 1-5 hdcp range is 32.6. Do you fit within this?

All I'm saying is, a new putter and working on a new grip, maybe going side saddle with a reverse left hand low claw grip is like taking tylenol for bullet wound. It won't fix the source of the problem.

~Rock

I agree that much of it is mental but some of the best players I know including three plus index players that are in their late 50's or early 60's, now putt with a long putter or arm lock putter after decades of putting conventional. Sometimes a new grip or type of putter can be part of the solution.

To the first part quoted, there is no reason why an amateur can't reach 80-90% makes on a 3-4 foot putt. There are plenty of stats/facts on how many degrees the putter can be mis-aligned and still go in at that distance. So if you are missing at that distance, it's something you are doing - which is a result of the putter you are using. Beyond those distances I'd agree with you that skill matters much more than the putter. And the stats on total putts is irrelevant to this conversation.

The second part quoted is probably correct for longer putts, though making a change in technique may not hurt so whats the harm in trying. But for 3-4 foot putts your statement is 100% false.

I agree that much of it is mental but some of the best players I know including three plus index players that are in their late 50's or early 60's, now putt with a long putter or arm lock putter after decades of putting conventional. Sometimes a new grip or type of putter can be part of the solution.

I'd disagree. All they did was try something new, made a few putts, confidence was gained and so they stuck with it.

To the first part quoted, there is no reason why an amateur can't reach 80-90% makes on a 3-4 foot putt. There are plenty of stats/facts on how many degrees the putter can be mis-aligned and still go in at that distance. So if you are missing at that distance, it's something you are doing - which is a result of the putter you are using. Beyond those distances I'd agree with you that skill matters much more than the putter. And the stats on total putts is irrelevant to this conversation.

The second part quoted is probably correct for longer putts, though making a change in technique may not hurt so whats the harm in trying. But for 3-4 foot putts your statement is 100% false.

Here's the slope on putt 1. _____ . Here's the slope on putt 2. / As you can see, one has quite a bit of break and the other does not. Is the slope of the putt relevant to this conversation? I assumed we weren't talking all flat putts. I used total putts per round because it helps offset the number of side hill breaking putts versus perhaps straighter putts. And I thought we were talking 4 foot putts, not 3-4'.

Let me ask this. For anyone who is paying attention. How many times during a casual round have you walked up to say a four footer and just sort of one hand slapped it in? How many times have you walked up to a 4 foot putt, went through a routine, stood over the ball, thought about making sure you keep your stroke short, pull left shoulder through, keep wrists locked, etc. (any number of putting stroke thoughts) only to miss it.

There's no golden putting stroke out there, just as there is no golden putter out there. Your brain will make the putt if you just get out of its way.

"So if you are missing at that distance, it's something you are doing - which is a result of the putter you are using." REALLY?! When I missed the one and only 4 footer side hill putt that I missed in league yesterday, it was because of my putter? Heck, I chalked up to a misread myself. How about the 4 footer with just a touch of right break I missed during best shot afterwards. I mean, I thought I pulled the putt, but maybe it was the putter that pulled it, and I put a perfect stroke on the ball.

Or maybe, it was because we needed the putt, I was the anchor, and the last thought in my head before pulling the trigger was on my putter path, rather than just putting at the ball with a clear mind as I had done most of the rest of the day.

~Rock

Back