Advice needed ... I can't putt

I agree that much of it is mental but some of the best players I know including three plus index players that are in their late 50's or early 60's, now putt with a long putter or arm lock putter after decades of putting conventional. Sometimes a new grip or type of putter can be part of the solution.

There is some merit in making these changes to address a mental issue.

Taking the hands out of the stroke effectively takes the part of the brain that worries out of the stroke. It isn't like people have yippy shoulders. That stuff is almost always in the hands. This won't fix the underlying problem but will mitigate it quite a bit and help with confidence which is a nice little cyclical effect.

"So if you are missing at that distance, it's something you are doing - which is a result of the putter you are using." REALLY?! When I missed the one and only 4 footer side hill putt that I missed in league yesterday, it was because of my putter? Heck, I chalked up to a misread myself. How about the 4 footer with just a touch of right break I missed during best shot afterwards. I mean, I thought I pulled the putt, but maybe it was the putter that pulled it, and I put a perfect stroke on the ball.

Or maybe, it was because we needed the putt, I was the anchor, and the last thought in my head before pulling the trigger was on my putter path, rather than just putting at the ball with a clear mind as I had done most of the rest of the day.

You're greatly over complicating this issue and inserting yourself into this situation. We aren't talking about missing 1 putt where stress was a factor or whether slope/break is/is not a factor. The OP says this is a consistent, ongoing issue.

So yes, REALLY, if what the OP is saying is accurate, it is time for a new putter. One that is properly fitted so that he's not having to fight it on 3-4 foot putts.

Never been a great practicer when it comes to putting. I get bored quickly ... And I am actually good on practice green, or at least I think I am.

Maybe a new putter might be the go. I've been through a few over the years and can't say have ever had a putter that made a difference

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

You're greatly over complicating this issue and inserting yourself into this situation. We aren't talking about missing 1 putt where stress was a factor or whether slope/break is/is not a factor. The OP says this is a consistent, ongoing issue.

So yes, REALLY, if what the OP is saying is accurate, it is time for a new putter. One that is properly fitted so that he's not having to fight it on 3-4 foot putts.

Ok. You must be right. It must be the putter. There is absolutely nothing mental about any putt, whether there is slope or not, and whether it is for a million dollars or simply a solo casual round playing multiple balls. Nothing mental affecting one's stroke, whatsoever. His putter is broken, or isn't fit for him.

Somewhere, I think in the 3rd post (quoted above for your convenience), the OP says he thinks he putts well on the practice green. So somewhere between the practice green and the golf course, an inanimate solid object shifts, and either breaks, or at least bends so that it is no longer 'fit' for him. And then, after the round, sometime before going back to a practice green, it unbreaks or shifts back to being a perfect fit for him. Someone should call NASA and alert them of this bizarre behavior from a metal compound.

Because when one putts well on the practice green, but not on the course, it can't be mental. No, it's the putter for sure.

~Rock

Another thought: Gamble on putting practice, or otherwise make it so that it is unpleasant on some level to do poorly, just as it is unpleasant to miss a short one for birdie. Any stress related flaws might become obvious.

It doesn't have to be with someone else. I remember Ken Green advocating leaving money behind in the cup if you don't perform up to your expectations. Of course, Ken Green was a bit of a lunatic, so proceed with caution.

Consider trying a center shafted putter. I know they are not the most popular, but I think many people, especially those whose stroke doesn't have much rotation, can really benefit from it. Instead of trying to align a sight line to make contact, you are basically trying to make contact with the shaft line.

You are a way better golfer than I, but here is what helps me.

After I pick my line, I try to find a spot on the green no more than a foot in front of the ball, on the intended line. That is now my aim point. I try to putt, with the right pace, over that spot. If I hit the spot, and the pace, I accept the results as that is the best I could do.

There is some merit in making these changes to address a mental issue.

Taking the hands out of the stroke effectively takes the part of the brain that worries out of the stroke. It isn't like people have yippy shoulders. That stuff is almost always in the hands. This won't fix the underlying problem but will mitigate it quite a bit and help with confidence which is a nice little cyclical effect.

I play with a lot of low single digit golfers that are over the age of 50 and only about one in four have a conventional reverse overlap or ten finger grip that they played with for decades. The mental aspect of the game is most of it once you've reached the scratch level and going to an arm lock, claw grip, or long putter will absolutely be the best solution for many golfers whether it's a cyclical mental effect or just getting different muscles engaged in the stroke. There is no way someone like Langer has as much success with a conventional putter. Things definitely can change as you get older and we obviously see a low of claw, arm lock, and left hand low grips on the PGA Tour compared to 30 years ago. It's nice that we have options and don't have to feel strange about what putting style we choose as it seems that the conventional putting grip is less than half the golfers now.

I'm a low handicapper (6) but I can't putt.

Even writing that sounds stupid but it's true. It has always been my problem,but now that I have got to 5/6 it's really obvious.

Basically problem is I don't make enough of the gettable putts. I just have no confidence inside 6 feet and would miss at least 1 but prob closer to 2 or 3 from inside 4 feet every round.

I've joined in with the junior clinic with my boy and my chipping has come along awesome, but I still can't putt.

It's frustrating to chip to 3-4 feet and then miss the putt. I did this twice today.

I know it's mental, but I need some advice.
I had a lesson, but it's not technique from that distance. Plus I am better on the practice green :(

Help!?!?

Here is what has helped me tremendously on short putts (and I'm assuming you have decent alignment and mechanics): I will focus on a very tiny part of the hole, usually a particular blade of grass or discoloration, and decide I want my ball to enter the hole at that spot. Next, I pick another spot a few inches in front of my ball that is directly on line with the first spot. I then line up to that spot and totally relax as I KNOW I'm perfectly aligned. Then I just make a solid stroke and, most importantly, wait to hear the ball drop - I DO NOT look at the hole at any time after I line up, especially as the ball leaves the putter. I'm exceedingly confident that I will be rewarded by that sound of the ball dropping home.

Another key is the belief that you can't miss from 6' in. That belief comes easy when you've made 20 in a row; but you still want to truly believe that you can't miss, even if you've missed the last 5. That same dynamic works in basketball BTW. When I used to shoot 3-pointers a lot, I always believed I was going to make them (even when I had missed several in a row).

Good luck to you!

My suggestions and this helped me

1. Get a putter fitting. More than anything this will tell you what type of stroke you have, help fix any issues with the stroke and more importantly what type of putter you should be using.

2. Get a putting mirror so you can have a consistent set up each time

3. Read Dave Stockton’s “Unconscious Putting”. This book helped me a lot understanding putting and how to free up my stroke and mind while putting.

4. Practice, practice, practice. Get a putting mat and practice those short putts. It’s mundane and at times not glamorous, but it will pay off on the course.

I've done 3/4 of these ... does that mean I should be a good putter? HA! Only in my dreams cause I haven't done enough of #4 :act-up:

I can't stand to let this go. 95% of the advice given in here is wrong. Almost everything that has been said will be nothing more than a crutch. It will help you for a period of time, until your confidence dwindles again, at which point in time, you will be right back where you are.

Source for Opinion: Dr. Bob Rotella, Putting Out of Your Mind.

Unless your putter has a physical defect, it is not the problem. I don't care if it was fit for you or not. It is not the problem. Give me about 30 minutes on a practice green with a $20.00 putter bought from the bargain bin at walmart, and I'll putt the same as I do now.

Think your putter path needs worked on? Nope. I'll tell you right now that you can watch the PGA tour any given day. Some have a 'straight back straight through' putting path. Other take it in and swing on an arc. Some probably have a swirl in their putting stroke if I paid enough attention. But I don't. You can make putts. You're just thinking too much about it.

Here are some stats. Justin Thomas leads the tours on putts inside 4', at 98%. Rory McIlroy is near the bottom, at 86%. These guys are tour players. Are your 4' putting stats really that much less? There are various data compilation sites out there with putting statistics for us mere mortals. For instance, I just found one from the Grint. It says that average putts for the 6-10 hdcp range is 33.7. The 1-5 hdcp range is 32.6. Do you fit within this?

All I'm saying is, a new putter and working on a new grip, maybe going side saddle with a reverse left hand low claw grip is like taking tylenol for bullet wound. It won't fix the source of the problem.

~Rock

I have listened to this on CD in my daily commute for months ... apparently I need more help than Dr. Rotella can do for me. Cause it hasn't made me a better putter yet.

I'm a low handicapper (6) but I can't putt.

Even writing that sounds stupid but it's true. It has always been my problem,but now that I have got to 5/6 it's really obvious.

Basically problem is I don't make enough of the gettable putts. I just have no confidence inside 6 feet and would miss at least 1 but prob closer to 2 or 3 from inside 4 feet every round.

I've joined in with the junior clinic with my boy and my chipping has come along awesome, but I still can't putt.

It's frustrating to chip to 3-4 feet and then miss the putt. I did this twice today.

I had a lesson, but it's not technique from that distance. Plus I am better on the practice green :(

Help!?!?

What is your miss? pull... push...misread...lack of speed????

I have listened to this on CD in my daily commute for months ... apparently I need more help than Dr. Rotella can do for me. Cause it hasn't made me a better putter yet.

Personally, I think my putting yesterday is a testament to what he is talking about though. I've had a summer cold the past week, and wasn't sure I should even head out for league. But since I had zero expectations, and mostly just went up and hit the ball, I played great, and in particular, made several of these 'side hill 4 footers.' Why? I think it was because I wasn't thinking about my stroke or the mechanics of my putting. I just picked a line, went up and hit it. And then later in the round, I had a push, and then I had a pull, next thing you know, I'm over every putt, reminding myself before pulling the trigger how my shoulders need to move in the putting stroke. It did nothing to help and had no flow.

Making yourself 'not think,' is tough. But I definitely catch myself more often when I have these 'swing thoughts' in my head before putting, rather than just putting and trusting my body to do what it knows how to do.

~Rock

If you are a low handicapper, you can putt. You can putt better than 70%+ of the people that play golf. If you are missing 3 and 4 foot putts that is actually to be expected some statistically. Is it more accurate to say you are missing those putts when you feel some more pressure. It is hard to believe anyone with a single digit handicap cannot putt, it is 50% of the game.

Help!?!?

You have be honest with yourself before starting anything - are you willing to change your stroke or do you want to change your putter to fit your current stroke. Both have their pros and cons but only one will hold up to pressure and it's not the first option.

Also what type of greens do you usually putt on?

Ok. You must be right. It must be the putter.

Glad we agree. The rest of your quote is over complicating things yet again.

He’s a “better putter” on the practice greens just like everyone is a better golfer on the driving range. He has multiple attempts that allow him to start making compensations.

It’s really a simple concept and I’m not sure how to spell it out any easier.

Alez is 100% correct that at the OP’s level (and obvious time playing the game with that index) it’s going to be easiest to just find a putter that works for him in the 3-4 foot range. It’s the only change that will hold up, at least for the short term, when under pressure.

So if you are missing at that distance, it's something you are doing - which is a result of the putter you are using.

He’s a “better putter” on the practice greens just like everyone is a better golfer on the driving range. He has multiple attempts that allow him to start making compensations.

It's not possible for the OP to make compensations on the practice green to putt well. As you stated in the first quoted post above, if he is missing at that distance, it is the putter.

Because otherwise, if he could make compensations (whatever those may be) on the practice green, then it would stand to reason that, by repetition and muscle memory, those compensations would follow the OP onto the course, and he would 'putt well' on the course just as he has on the practice green.

But that's not possible. His putter is making him miss, so he must need a new one.

1. Ill-fitted/Broken putter makes a person miss.
2. Person compensates somehow on practice green and putts well with ill-fitted/broken putter.
3. Exact same ill-fitted/broken putter makes person miss on golf course, even though he was making putts on the practice green.
= Putter needs replaced.

Why even bother with the putting green? A putter only works if it works on the course. Results on a putting green have zero correlation to putting results on the course.

~Rock

Don't over think it, most putts 4 feet and under are inside the hole.
Aim inside the hole, firm stroke, pick it up out of the cup. Easy. Don't complicate it.

So many good drills and tips. The one that works best for me is a simple one. I use 4 tees and a flat plastic ball mark with the little peg on it. I place the mark at whatever distance and break I feel I want to practice; just what I feel is the main thing (usually 6-12 foot putt). Then I put a ball on the line a few feet in front of mark. Again just where I'm comfortable. Then I push 2 tees in ground very close to each side of the ball to make a narrow gate. I stroke a couple putts to see if gate properly aligned and if not move mark accordingly. I place the third tee outside my backstroke and 4th inside my follow through each about 4" from mark. Some prefer to reverse that 3rd and 4th position. Once set I use 3 balls and think only about rolling ball smoothly through the gate. I don't think about any mechanics. After I've made about 15-20 in a row I try some longer putts without the tees to see if the feeling of that smooth stroke is there yet. Then back to the tees and so on until I feel good.

I've a 3.1 index at present and I've suffered the same all season.

Monday, I shot 76 with 35 putts. Hit every fairway and every green on the front yet could only manage par, 1 bird with 1 three-putt for bogey.

Yesterday was 75 with 32 putts. Those 3 less putts weren't due to better putting, it was due to a few kick-ins following chips.

My ballstriking isn't the issue, I'll very often lately only miss 2 fairways, miss maybe 5-6 greens (despite shaky iron play at times). But I'm not at all draining putts as I have in seasons past.

And for me, the frustration moved toward apprehension, hesitation, and the dreaded yips. I'd much prefer a 10 footer vs a 5 footer... even 4 footer! Madness.

Experimenting now with counterweights and they've seemed to quiet my hands.

Good luck... I know your pain.

It's not possible for the OP to make compensations on the practice green to putt well. As you stated in the first quoted post above, if he is missing at that distance, it is the putter.

Because otherwise, if he could make compensations (whatever those may be) on the practice green, then it would stand to reason that, by repetition and muscle memory, those compensations would follow the OP onto the course, and he would 'putt well' on the course just as he has on the practice green.

But that's not possible. His putter is making him miss, so he must need a new one.

1. Ill-fitted/Broken putter makes a person miss.
2. Person compensates somehow on practice green and putts well with ill-fitted/broken putter.
3. Exact same ill-fitted/broken putter makes person miss on golf course, even though he was making putts on the practice green.
= Putter needs replaced.

Why even bother with the putting green? A putter only works if it works on the course. Results on a putting green have zero correlation to putting results on the course.

~Rock

The compensations are temporary and go against your hard wired/subconscious stroke. Same for the full swing on the range. Which is why a series of brief compensations on the range or putting green can make one perceive that they are getting better. But this temporary change in technique and resulting skill is going against hardwired processes in the brain that typically have been reinforced for a long period of time. This is a well studied topic, if you'd like to learn something on the issue just Google it. A good starting point would be to study neuroplasticity or synaptic plasticity. That's why the phrase "practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect" exists.

The OP can do what he chooses, but ultimately you are incorrect.

My putting has significantly improved after I stopped using the alignment mark on the ball. I would line up the putt, step back to see how the line looked, address the ball and it just wouldn't feel right. I would trust the line anyway but still miss. I thought it was my set up so I worked on that with no improvement. Then I thought it might be my green reading so I worked on that with no improvement. Then I bought a new putter and again no improvement. So out of frustration, I just started walking up the ball, read the break, line up to what felt right and fire. And if you wouldn't know it I began sinking more putts. Sometimes just using your instinct and "feels" is all that is needed to improve. And I'm using a Ping putter from the 1980"s.

Try putting opposite hand. When I was struggling putting I did this just as a goof. But I started draining all kinds of putts. I think it was due to the weird feeling of the wrong hand and thinking about actually hitting the putt and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Rock is dead on, give me a shovel from 4’ and once I have the technique, and practice enough I will make it work. The ball doesn’t care care about grip, how well the putter fits or whether your coming from the inside our outside, it cares that it is hit square to the target and this is done through repetition and practice.

The OP write they are good putter on the practice green, what does that mean? Are you meeting goals set for the practice session or just dropping a bunch of balls down and firing putts from different angles, if it’s the later, we’ll that ain’t practice, that’s a warmup and there is huge difference...

Do you practice putting like you play or vise versa? What do I mean?... When you practice (all I can think of is Allen Iverson, LOL) are you using the same exact routine as you do on the course and when you play do you use the same exact routine as on the practice green? And finally and most important... are you setting specific goals when you practice because when you play, the goal is... to get the 4’er in the hole, so when you practice 4’ers, there should be a goal that is specific. (examples: hitting 90 out of 100 putts or 20 makes in a row), oh and if your goal is not met, you start over... The other option is to play like you warmup (but often this doesn’t work well because the outside influence which is the pressure of the result, which is what we’re really talking about here).

I relate all this to b-ball players practicing free-throws, good free-throw shooters practice 1.) with “their” game routine and 2.) with a goal in mind and then when it comes to playing, “their” routine is the same and the goal is to hit the shot, sure there’s stress of the game and result of the shot, but they stand on the line and block out that “noise” by relating back to the practice they’ve done.

Putting in general is not much different and certainly from a specific distance it is not. When I practice with intent and with goals that I want to meet, it closely simulates a real round which leads to results and those results build confidence, which then snowballs.

Either your aim is off or your stroke isn’t getting the ball on your intended line (it’s unlikely you have a speed problem from 3-4 feet). Do you know which one it is?

I recommend disassociate from the result (making the putt) and instead focus on getting the ball over a target 10-12” in front of you. This can help clear up any mental problems.

I'm a **** golfer so take my advice for what it's worth. Normally I average 34 putts per round. Not great, but not bad either considering my chipping sucks. If I could get chip the ball to within 6' consistently I'm sure the number of putts would be lower. My best was 28 putts with only 12 putts on the back 9 yet I didn't break 80. My worst? 43 putts. That's golf.

1) is your putter fit for you? Some putters are balanced for straight strokes, some for slight arcs, some for pronounced arcs. Some are light. Some are heavy. Some are short. Some are longer than others. You need to make sure you have one that matches your putting stroke and is comfortable for you to use. It's not just going out and buying a putter. I learned this the hard way... why I can putt well with some putters and not with others. Why my $320 SeeMore had cooties, and why I went back to my Odyssey 2 ball that I bought 7 years ago.

You can tell what type of putter yours is by balancing it on your finger and watching how the head dips. If the face stays level it's for straight strokes. If the end drops it's for arced strokes. Buying a putter isn't just grabbing one. Go for a putter fitting.

Also, do you know how to work your putter? Did you know that on a delicate downhill putt you can strike the ball more toward the toe of the putter for a softer stroke so you don't overshoot the hole by a lot in case of a miss? I learned that from Paige Spiranac.

2) can you read greens? Some people can look at a green and figure it out easily. I'm one of these - I cannot tell you how to do this. Others have to go through a lengthy process. If you're one of the latter and are really serious about lowering your score, I'd think about learning Aimpoint Express.

3) Since you're having difficulty with short putts, I'd take 8 balls onto the practice green and place them in a circle around the hole at a distance of 3'. Putt them in. Practice this until you can make all of them. This isn't easy. Set targets. Maybe 6 out of 8 to start. Then 7 out of 8. Then 8 out of 8.

4) How often do you practice lag putting? This is one of the most important things to be able to do. Pick two holes on the practice green. Take 4 balls and putt to get the ball as close as possible. Start at 10' and work your way back to 30'. If you sink it, good putt. If you can get the ball to within 3' on your first putt, and sink 3' putts with confidence, you'll keep 3 putting to a minimum. When you get to the golf course - before you tee off, lag putt for 20 minutes.

The last two were from my putting lesson with the pro. This stuff won't make a great putter out of you, but the idea here is not to lose strokes on the green. You'll even make a few birdies.

Back