Reaching Your Peak as a Golfer

CobraX51

F-ck Yeah Baby!
Reaction score
Handicap
One thing I hear when golfing with people is "at my best I was as low as a 6, or even scratch, or I used to break 80 consistently, or flirt with Par." But life gets in the way and other more important things happen. Marriage, career, and children are typically what I hear most, all completely normal reasons to not be able to golf as much. I hear some people say they didn't golf for months, or even years to focus on what they were pursuing. I got in a conversation in the Golf Ramble thread about this and last Sunday it further confirmed this.

I was pretty oblivious to these reasons because I'm not married, don't have a family, and have a steady job. I got into Golf and made it stick around 2016, I had the addiction. Because of this I was able to practice a night or two after work for a few hours, sometimes until 10pm, play on the weekends, mix in lessons(plenty of those), and try to stay as sharp as possible. This wasn't to say I was always perfect but swinging helped to stay in some sort of rhythm.

I reached my goal of being a single digit cap and currently sit at 9, but I foresee a rise in the handicap haha. I've broken 80 4 times, a PB of 73, 1 Eagle in a handicap round, and a stretch of Golf where I always broke 90. It was pretty fun and didn't really grind. But the last couple of months I ask myself what else is their to accomplish individually with Golf? Is being a 5 handicap really that glamorous to me? Do I really need to grind to shave off more strokes? When I told myself No it was kind of a light bulb moment.

Last year I decided it was time to pursue a career I always wanted to be in and re-enrolled back in broadcasting school. I was still able to balance Golf, work, and school. I finished school in April and went Golf to the max during the time off of school and slowly looking for a job in this industry. It was during this time I put up a stretch of golf where I couldn't wait to play again and knew I was going to shoot well, including the PB. I practiced, I played, I managed the course, I would fire at flags but be below the hole, I made a lot of birdies during this stretch.

Then I got a call from iHeart Media that they have a part-time position available but it would be primarily weekends. Basically an entry-level job to get my foot in the door and make the right connections to parlay it into a full-time job. So I'm still at my steady-job during the week but now my weekends are kind of jammed with this, and I love doing it, it's a lot of fun and fills a void.

Among other new things that have sprouted in my life the last few months I don't have the time to practice, take lessons, or be the weekend warrior I once was.

The last couple of Saturday's I worked doubles for iHeart but still got out for a Sunday 8am tee time before working in the afternoon for iHeart. I'm constantly doing something.

The last 2 rounds have gone 93-91, I did play 9 in between those rounds and shot 41 to let me know a swing is still in there somewhere. Scores that aren't bad per se, but when you're used to breaking 85 it's a little bit of a tough pill to swallow but understandable. I don't have time to play this weekend and don't know when I'll be able to tee it up again.

To end the golf eulogy, I'll always enjoy Golf, the amount of new friends I made, and play when time permits, but at what point for you did the grind completely stop or drastically slow down to focus on other interests or more important things in your life?

I'm in a similar boat.. I know I can shoot lower 80s and I play better with strangers than I do with friends.. and I get super annoyed when I shot 90 this past weekend when I had a string of bad shots

Life gets "in the way" but you still make time for golf, and just enjoy it. Sometimes by not playing as often I actually enjoy the experience more

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

more important things in your life

You kind of answered your own question. :)

"Golf happens"... and it typically is tied to "life happens". The beauty of golf is that it's always there for you. It's there when you have all the time in the world, grinding hour after hours. And it will wait for years and welcome you back when you're ready if other things happen to take precedence.

I think you're too young to have hit your peak.

Speaking from personal experience, I often play better after a bit of a break or when I'm putting less pressure on myself.

So, in summary...

giphy.gif

Things changed a bit when I got married 25 years ago and a lot when I had my first child who will be 22 in September. I luckily have a swing that has stood the test of time, and my index hasn't varied more than a few strokes since I was married whether it was 20 rounds a year or 80.

I retired last year and am playing a lot this year with 60 rounds in since April 18th, but I don't have the same passion to hit the range or practice green as I once did. I just out and play golf and don't practice much - I've only had a couple of serious range sessions since mid June even though I have the time. We spend a lot of time at our lake home 2 hours north of Minneapolis and are heading there at 1 pm today for another long weekend. I could golf today with my son and have been invited to play with a couple of buddies on Saturday and Sunday morning(at a resort course where I have an unlimited play membership) who are staying at a resort with their families less than a mile away. I likely won't play any golf the next four days because I'd rather be with my family especially with my two oldest heading back to college at the end of the month and my youngest daughter having 3 of her friends join us for the weekend. That makes for four 14-year-olds, a nineteen-year-old, and a 21-year-old and lots of fuel for the boats, lol! I would rather hang at the lake and get out on the boat, wake surf board, and jetskis than play golf. I still love golf but I enjoy other things as much or more.

You kind of answered your own question. :)

"Golf happens"... and it typically is tied to "life happens". The beauty of golf is that it's always there for you. It's there when you have all the time in the world, grinding hour after hours. And it will wait for years and welcome you back when you're ready if other things happen to take precedence.

^^^This pretty much sums it up. I didn't take up golf until my life was already full of responsibility that kept me from playing as much as I'd like to. You'll find a balance brother. Congrats on the next chapter!

I went from low single digits and started going upward because playing/practicing became far less convenient. Once i got into double digits I couldn't handle the frustration and flat quit. I was/am in a very stressful line of work and really didn't need a hobby that pissed me off. Sounds like you are handling it better than I did.

Ten years later I started again with a far better attitude and am now enjoying playing at a level that would before make me levitate with frustrated anger. I try to play as well as I can but not be as deeply affected when it goes bad.

In my opinion, once the decline starts for whatever reason, those that can't adjust or abandon expectations should just quit. I mean, unless for them golf is just an excuse to spend a few hours in a blind rage about other things in life.

I went from low single digits and started going upward because playing/practicing became far less convenient. Once i got into double digits I couldn't handle the frustration and flat quit. I was/am in a very stressful line of work and really didn't need a hobby that pissed me off. Sounds like you are handling it better than I did.

Ten years later I started again with a far better attitude and am now enjoying playing at a level that would before make me levitate with frustrated anger. I try to play as well as I can but not be as deeply affected when it goes bad.

In my opinion, once the decline starts for whatever reason, those that can't adjust or abandon expectations should just quit. I mean, unless for them golf is just an excuse to spend a few hours in a blind rage about other things in life.

I get infuriated with the world enough as is. Golf is my time away.

To the OP, I can only say that I personally have enjoyed golf more after making the conscious decision that the score doesn't matter as much as the fun.

For many people, regardless of whether their game was football, baseball, football or golf, the older they get the better they were.
Regarding golf and age , I've observed that guys with excellent technique can make use of today's equipment and continue to shoot low scores. One guy I know in particular is 78 years old and routinely shoots in the 70-72 range on 6,300 to 6,700 yard courses. I've been told he had a great swing 50 years ago , and he still does today. For him the equipment improvements let him shoot 2 to 10 shots under his age just about every round he plays.
Mostly, though, on the courses I see guys with bad swing technique who claim they used to be good.

I'm still in the honeymoon stage. COnstantly workign on it and normally improving, with some backwards movement (currently in the middle of that).

I have goals, and when I reach them, reset for better.

It is weird, I enjoy the game and the practice, etc, but when I fail to execute, I get so frustrated.

At some point I will peak, and I really hope where I am is not that peak, and form there, we shall see.

I do see myself playing for the long run.

For many people, regardless of whether their game was football, baseball, football or golf, the older they get the better they were.
Regarding golf and age , I've observed that guys with excellent technique can make use of today's equipment and continue to shoot low scores. One guy I know in particular is 78 years old and routinely shoots in the 70-72 range on 6,300 to 6,700 yard courses. I've been told he had a great swing 50 years ago , and he still does today. For him the equipment improvements let him shoot 2 to 10 shots under his age just about every round he plays.
Mostly, though, on the courses I see guys with bad swing technique who claim they used to be good.

I don't really understand the guys who claim they were once a scratch that now play to a 10+ index and have swings to match. Every golfer I know that was scratch 35+ years ago never went to a double digit index as they aged even when they only played 10 times a year. One of my good buddies was a +3 in college and he ballooned to a 6.5 index in his late 40's but once he had shoulder surgery, he was back down to a 2. I see lots of guys that are in their late 60's or 70's that are a 5 index or better, not what they once were but none of them "lost" their swing or ability to score. This includes guys that have had multiple spinal surgeries, hip replacements, etc.

When I had kids is when my golf time saw a decline. Definitely reflected in scores. Before kids I was a few years into golf and was almost breaking 80 every round. Haven’t come close in a while. But that’s fine. My preference was to be with family instead of on the golf course during the weekends. Or if I did go, I’d at least get the first tee time so I didn’t miss much at home.

Now that my oldest is 7 and the youngest 5, we have joined a club and are getting to golf more (did shoot a 42 for 9 holes a few weeks back and a 40 again last week, so it is coming around). I’m grateful they are enjoying it, and even my wife signed up for some lessons. Looking forward to combining family and golf and getting a few more reps in. And I would like to break 80 or at least get to better than bogey golf, which is very attainable.

For me it began once I started having kids and raising our family. Was a tough transition because I was used to play X amount of rounds a year, and am far from that # now. I think my game was starting to get better, so it was difficult to suddenly see a decline due to lack of play. But I've adjusted and now appreciate the activity more each time. Before golf was just another thing to do that I enjoyed doing in the summer, but now it's a chance to reset the mind from life and really spend time with the folks I am paired with. Usually it's with either family or friends, so to have uninterrupted time like that is very nice, especially if it's a nice 75-80 degree sunny day!

Life can sure be hectic at times, and I've learned through the last few years that golf has found a way to be more therapeutic than it ever was before.

I don't really understand the guys who claim they were once a scratch that now play to a 10+ index and have swings to match. swing or ability to score. .

They are liars.

Reaching Your Peak as a Golfer

Just know that you will likely have multiple peaks. I hit my first peak in 2001. I had two hole in ones and got to single digits, business was booming so I had a hefty golf budget, my wife worked ridiculous hours and we had no kids, so time wasn’t an issue. Then the valley came: 2003 we had our first child, 2005 we had our second, the recession hurt my business terribly in 2006-2007, I started coaching youth sports, etc. I was lucky to play more than 5 times a year and my scores went from low 80’s to low 90’s.

I fee like I am toward a second peak now. The kids are teens and don’t want my free time. Business has gotten better and I am playing more. My scores have come down to be as good as they were back then.

Just roll with life and have fun when you do play. Golf is a game that will be available to you your whole life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because you're playing less doesn't mean that you can't still improve. You can still work on fundamentals at home, even with limited practice time, and maybe take 1-2 lessons a year. When you do play, hit balls and putt beforehand instead of rolling up at tee time, and relax the expectations. I've seen multiple players keep improving (or hold steady), despite limiting their playing time for one reason or another. Good luck on your new journey, and stick with golf as long as you're still having fun!

I agree with the others saying that people who make excuses for playing poorly (i.e. no time, getting older, old clubs, etc.), probably never played well in the first place.

I quit playing for 5-6 years. During that time, I spent way too much money on a Jeep and decided to get my money's worth out of it. Spent many weekends on trails in an offroad park in PA. Camped on Friday night and wheeled all day Saturday.

As far as how high is high enough with the handicap, I say the higher the better. I'm at a -10.8 now and I'm shootin' for single digits this year. With steady practice, I'd love to be able to get it to the point where I can try to qualify for a US Open (Senior Open maybe?) someday. I'm very competitive with myself. I can't say that if I got the handicap all the way up to +1 I'd be happy. I'd still be trying to get it higher.

This topic hits home for me.

After a couple year hiatus in the 2006-08 range where I only played a couple times a year, I moved home and started playing regularly with my dad. It was a blast and I wanted to try to get as good as I could. I didn't have a handicap at the time, but I'd guess I was in the 12-ish range. I broke 80 somewhat regularly before 2006, but it took awhile for me to get back. By the time I went to my first THP event in 2015, I think I was down to a 5 or 6. But as I played more regularly, I kept improving. After my dad passed away in 2016, I really tried to dedicate myself to getting better, almost as a tribute (or something along those lines, who knows). Last summer, I managed to get on the + side of things for a whole two weeks at +0.1 and I've generally hovered between 0 and 1 since then. Getting there meant playing a lot though. Probably more than I should have sometimes.

Now, I'm at the point where I don't realistically think I'm going to see any real improvement. Our youngest starts kindergarten this year and even though my wife is always super supportive of me playing, the reality is that I'm going to have more and more obligations on the home front as the kids get busier. And even though both kids are willing to come to the course with me sometimes, neither really has the bug at this point. So I'm going to need to spend time doing what they want to do, not what I want to do. On one hand, that's a tough adjustment to make because I absolutely love everything about golf. On the other, that's part of the deal and I can have just as much fun with them camping or on a boat, or whatever it might be.

All of that is a long way of saying that I think my near future is very likely going to entail still enjoying the game as much as possible while simultaneously putting aside a concerted effort to improve.

For me I think I reached the peak last year when I got down to a 4.9 for a two week period. I was playing well and then the expectations go to high and I went the other way. I am quite happy maintaining a 6-7 right now and don't see myself going lower again. I would like to go lower but it is what it is.

They are liars.

Eh. Most likely, but it isn't the change in handicap or skill that I'd find dubious. It is that they are still regularly playing at all.

Plus the usga rating system isn't exactly 100% efficient as a means of comparison. "I used to play to scratch" could mean that one peak reporting period on the low end public course they played for years with the inflated course rating and tees that are habitually set forward. The one with no trouble and slow soft flat greens that don't require much touch or thought to get a chip or pitch close. Yet it has a slightly higher course rating than the country club across town that is slightly shorter but has rough and sand and trees and greens faster than shag carpeting. Sure, the country club has a far higher slope rating but that doesn't matter as to a scratch differential. Then they move or change courses and can't figure out why they are playing so badly...

At the extreme there is probably at least 10 strokes of variance in that system, mostly when you go far off the beaten path. My going from 3 to 10 would have likely been more like 7 to 14 if I played higher quality courses.

The game takes its toll, but also draws you back in. I sort of float away from the game every couple years (more tailing back how much I play), and come back wanting to play more and more.

Think of it this way though, you got to live the dream at the Grandaddy. Many of us will never get the chance to tell those stories, the ones that will last your entire life!

First of all, congrats on the new opportunity! To your question, I'm new-ish to the game compared to plenty of people here (or so it seems) and am finally seeing some practice pay off. I want to grind a lot, lot more but injuries are preventing that currently so I'm just accepting where I am until I can push harder. At some point I will just accept things but I'm not there yet.

Eh. Most likely, but it isn't the change in handicap or skill that I'd find dubious. It is that they are still regularly playing at all.

Plus the usga rating system isn't exactly 100% efficient as a means of comparison. "I used to play to scratch" could mean that one peak reporting period on the low end public course they played for years with the inflated course rating and tees that are habitually set forward. The one with no trouble and slow soft flat greens that don't require much touch or thought to get a chip or pitch close. Yet it has a slightly higher course rating than the country club across town that is slightly shorter but has rough and sand and trees and greens faster than shag carpeting. Sure, the country club has a far higher slope rating but that doesn't matter as to a scratch differential. Then they move or change courses and can't figure out why they are playing so badly...

At the extreme there is probably at least 10 strokes of variance in that system, mostly when you go far off the beaten path. My going from 3 to 10 would have likely been more like 7 to 14 if I played higher quality courses.

It's really more about swing technique and, or, how one carries himself/herself about the golf course.
For example, for one guy shooting 85 today it is easy to see that at one time his average score was 75. For another guy shooting 85 today it is easy to see that he never averaged less than 85. Both players claim they "used to be a better player", but only one is telling the truth.

I didn't start playing until I was 50. In the intervening 14 years I surprisingly reached all of my goals. I still strive to improve, and work at it, but I am a bit more relaxed about the game than I was.

I think it depends where you start.

I played for years and years for fun with the guys on a golf weekend or two and subbed in their league a few times a year. I never held a club until I was mid twenties.

Now, the last two years I've had more time, am a regular in the league so I'm playing weekly and practicing once a week with maybe two full rounds a month too.

I figure I'll peak sometime around sixty when I'm retired......

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back