Eliminating Variables from your game. What’s your method?

clarkgriswold

2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
One of the things i try to do in both work and golf is eliminating variables. Trying to minimize the variance in certain parts of the game. I’m not talking Bryson level micromanagement, just simple things like play the same ball or the like.

One thing that I have eliminated is the driver tee setup. I always had issues setting proper tee height for some reason, lining things up, checking the ball height. I switched to set height tees a season or two ago and it’s has definitely helped from a mental perspective.

lt also just makes me faster on the tee box, since I’m not checking anything. “Set it, forget it.”

Putter/club fitting would also be another, knowing your clubs are all properly fit eliminates another variable, and also one less thing to think about or blame.

There are things you can’t control, such as weather, course conditions etc but plenty that you can. What have you all done that you have seen help your game?

I made some alignment issues with my driver. Where the ball was in relation to my left foot and the placement of the club behind the ball. Seems to be a better fit, so far.

I did the same thing with the tees. I hated having to keep checking height.

Something super simple is just lining up my putts better. I really make a conscious effort to do this so all I need to do is put a good swing on the putt. It might take an extra second but it has helped my short game a ton.

I have used the set tee height, consistency is really important there. I have also learned to step away from my setup when feeling uncomfortable over the ball for what ever reason.

Same ball (most of the time) for the whole round. I do switch balls sometimes from round to round from MTB-Black to Chromesoft X (Truvis and TT models, too), but will attempt to stay with the same ball for the entire round. If I am tanked and not putting up a decent (i.e. mid-80's or less) round, then I will bring out some older MTB or once in a while ChromeSoft, but I try to stay with the same ball most of the time.

Same tees. I haven't done the set height tee thing, but I try to always use the Epoch tees of the same length so I can get a feel for how far to push them in and keep a relatively consistent tee height. I think my hooks are tied to teeing the ball up too high.

I'm playing a recreational game, not trying to run a 3-sigma manufacturing facility. If I eliminated every possible variable from my game, I'd just show up with exactly the same ball and clubs to the same tees on the same course every time and try to repeat exactly the same swing. If I did that, I'd still shoot in the high 80's to mid 90's except I'd be bored out of my mind.

If trading for a new set of irons every year or putting a sleeve of unfamiliar balls into play or trying this chipping thing with my wrists extended costs me a stroke or two, that's lost in the noise of my 17 hcp hacker's game. No worries.

I am in the same boat. I try to minimize variables.

BIggest variable I have reduced is swing thoughts. I was playing swing for a while. Thinking about the 10 things I needed to do to execute the shot, then doing none of them well.

As of now, I see ball, get range and line, address ball, one swing thought, hit ball. That has been going fairly well for me, and certainly better than trying to do the same with 10 swing thoughts in my head.

One other thing i do is, if I am goign to lay up, I do all I can to be in the 60-70 yard range when it lands. That gives me a go to shot to get on .

Good thread. I also believe in eliminating variables.

same ball
single set height tee (for driver)
use my finger width to set tee height for 3w,5w,4h the same way every time
grip, aim, and step into address position the same exact way for every shot (for all basic shots)
Don't hover my club heads from tee box but just lightly rest on the ground to eliminate any need to hold and maintain the club head height.

One variable I eliminated was using a golf glove. This was especially helpful when I played high school golf in Orlando, and many years in Houston; the humidity made it impossible to keep a glove dry.

Sadly, I have to embrace my the other swing-related variables... lol

Probably the only thing I try to focus on keeping consistent is my putting routine. From the number of putting strokes to when I look at the hole, to even how many waggles i make with my feet, I use that pre shot routine as a way of beginning my stroke. It helps mentally because once I start it I have already committed to making the shot, I just need to do the routine and once I make my last second glance at the hole, just a little forward press and let it roll! I'd like to think this contributes to putting being the best part of my game, but I also practice it the most, so that helps I'm sure. Incorporating a similar technique off the tee and even for other shots could help too.

My biggest struggle is with alignment so I always practice with a club or stick on the ground when I'm on the range. From the bogey golfers I see on the course, 95% of them have alignment and/or ball position issues and I'm sure almost none of them practice alignment like I do.

One of my biggest problem with golf was I started playing with friends who where all VERY good. By good they shoot in the 70's playing down when I would shot in the 100's. I could hardly break 90 and they were shooting par or +5. These guys are all tall, thin and athletic. I am short, dumpy and un-athletic (computer geek). I could never hit as far, but I do have a loose swing and can get it out there good for an amateur 47 year old. It too me a long time to stop trying to mimic them and start eliminating variables as you say. Recently, is just have recognized that I am a mechanical golfer here are some of my adjustments to eliminate variables.

So when I started back playing golf this year I decided to list our all my mistakes I know I tend to make on the course that cost me strokes and come up with a mechanism to deal with it.

1. Ignore all other golfers on the course. I watch, but I ignore their results so I do not put pressure on myself (This has been a problem in the past);

2. I no longer try to work shots like my friends. I can build a decent game of golf around hitting one shot pattern. My goal now is to have the same flight pattern on every shot. I hit a fade, cannot hit a hook. When I get in real trouble its usually trying to hit a shot that I cannot pull of based on my ability. If I get in trouble now, I take my medicine. I have a frame of mind I call the 1/2 stroke penalty (elimination of birdie chance but still a chance for a par). If I get in trouble, I take my 1/2 stroke mental penalty and just put it back in play for a chance to save a par. I have just realized the trying to pull off the miracle shot is costing me more strokes in the end;

3. I really have poor ability to judge distance; I just do. It hurts me with my club selection and really in my short game. So, I have started using technology like gps and range finders, never have before.

4.I am implementing the 4 x 3 wedge system short game system. Knowing I have poor distance judgement, I no longer trust it. I can trust swinging a club at 7:30, 9:00 and 10:00 without hip turn like Pelzs says in his book. I lost all my wedges in the 2016 flood so I am rebuilding my entire game around 50,54,58,62 wedges.

5. Acceptance of bad swings. This was the hardest thing for me to eliminate. I have hit enough golf balls in my life to know I can hit it pretty good. I track my bad swings and allow myself 5 per round. By tracking them it helps me remain focused on the things I want to do on the course.

6. I naturally stand to close to the ball at address. It is not by much but it tends to lead to hitting-from-the-top for me. I fixed this by addressing the ball a club face length to the inside, then I slide the club into place.

7. Hitting hard instead of hitting fast. I find that I rush my swing at the top and when I do that I come in too steep and from the top. To fix this I swing a weighted club everyday and try to accelerate it instead of swinging hard.

At 47 after 20 years of swinging a certain way, I doubt I will every eliminate those variables. But, in the past I would just say do not do that as my way of eliminating it. Now, I am coming up with specific ideas to help address the problem. I am a guy that likes goals I have never been better than a bogey golfer, I have set a goal to become a 5 handicap by age 60 and I started this year.

I’ve actually also been trying to wear the same shoes across multiple rounds. It’s probably mental but the variance in height seems to affect my swing, at least for the first few holes.

Tommy Armour was a great golfer and teacher in his time. In his book "How to Play Your Best Golf All the Time" he offers this advice: "Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well, and play the shot that makes the next shot easy.

It's something I try to remember when I'm on the course and helps eliminate variables during a round.

I’ve actually also been trying to wear the same shoes across multiple rounds. It’s probably mental but the variance in height seems to affect my swing, at least for the first few holes.

This isn’t a terrible idea that I’ve heard from a few folks. For example, big difference between the some spiked and spineless FJ offerings (Hyperflex to Pro SL, for example)

sounds silly, but i try to stick with one pair of shoes, and one glove. those tactile parts of the attire are very important to me. so i want consistency there instead of swapping out different shoes or gloves depending on how i feel that day.

i also like to stick with one ball. i’m experimenting a bit with the grandaddy coming up, but usually like to pick one and run with it.

i think that’s pretty much it. cuz lawd knows i ho with my clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My biggest struggle is with alignment so I always practice with a club or stick on the ground when I'm on the range.

This. Anything that creates consistency in alignment/placement I'm all for. I also do everything I can as it will be during a round. When I have 15 minutes to kill and swing by the club to putt I put my spikes on and a glove in my pocket, because I was taught to practice how you perform.

Last edited:
One of the things i try to do in both work and golf is eliminating variables. Trying to minimize the variance in certain parts of the game. I’m not talking Bryson level micromanagement, just simple things like play the same ball or the like.

One thing that I have eliminated is the driver tee setup. I always had issues setting proper tee height for some reason, lining things up, checking the ball height. I switched to set height tees a season or two ago and it’s has definitely helped from a mental perspective.

lt also just makes me faster on the tee box, since I’m not checking anything. “Set it, forget it.”

Putter/club fitting would also be another, knowing your clubs are all properly fit eliminates another variable, and also one less thing to think about or blame.

There are things you can’t control, such as weather, course conditions etc but plenty that you can. What have you all done that you have seen help your game?

I think a lot of golfers try too hard to make golf 1+1+1+1+1=5 but I don't think it's worth it.

My opinion, your swings on the range should be no different than on course. If you have a waggle, good (hi Matthew Wolff).. If you have a pre-shot... good. But all the crazy stuff I see just adds to thinking/changes/emotions that aren't needed.

Get up, hit it, and if doesn't work, figure it out later. That's my mentality.

My coach and I had a long discussion today about my ****** play. Every shot - range or course - needs to focus on 3 things - grip, alignment, and posture. If I can’t get those right then nothing else matters.

He’s been watching me from the distance and I am thinking way too much because I can’t get the 3 fundamentals correct right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use a more compact back swing, feels like I am well short of half-way, to get better contact with the ball. Has really changed the way I hit long irons.

On the greens I find my line and go for it. No second guessing once I have picked up my ball marker.

Just a couple things I do to make my game more consistent.

My biggest struggle is with alignment so I always practice with a club or stick on the ground when I'm on the range. From the bogey golfers I see on the course, 95% of them have alignment and/or ball position issues and I'm sure almost none of them practice alignment like I do.
I agree. Alignment issues imo pleague many amateurs. heck even many pros use aliognment sticks. I use them a the range evry time I go. I dont just use a couple for stance alignment but my swing path issues have me using another 2 sticks for my swing path (via my past lessons). So Im showing up with4 of these things .

Its amazing how far off we can drift with our alignment without ever noticing. It can gradually drift so badly that when one gets properly aligned they actually feel like they are crooked. Using the sticks imo are huge towards helping. And using them all the time is imo important. Otherwise too many of us do and will drift away.

I don't put much effort into eliminating variables in my game, other than making sure I'm playing with fitted equipment. When my ball flight is good I just play golf, and when it's bad I just sort of go through the motions until I stumble upon it again.

I don't put much effort into eliminating variables in my game, other than making sure I'm playing with fitted equipment. When my ball flight is good I just play golf, and when it's bad I just sort of go through the motions until I stumble upon it again.

My thoughts exactly, except stated much more clearly and succinctly.

I use the below tee and it’s really improved my driver consistency. I love having the perfect tee height every time. I also do the same little stance and setup routine for driver and this has helped with ball position in my stance, which for me has really helped me narrow down errors.

Additionally, I’m really working on pre-shot routines. They seem to be helping my consistency.CCD76017-6258-46FC-B4BB-5791712E8FA7.jpeg

If you really want to improve your game, I hope your work on "pre-shot routines" means you are eliminating fidgets, waggles, pauses and other procrastination to narrow the "routine" down to simply aiming, getting set and swinging in one continuous flow.

Nowadays the word "pre-shot routine" seems to mean finding an ever-increasing list of superstitious distractions to engage in before actually hitting a shot. That will most certain not help anyone's consistency at actually striking the ball. Quite the opposite.

Back