2 Ball or 4 Ball - Which do you prefer?

Nikhil

Natural Born Slicer
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
13.0 GHIN
Just an open question with no right or wrong answer ...

In my case I prefer a twosome on weekdays where we can usually get 18 holes in quickly and without wasting time. We play in the mornings and are usually among the first groups to tee off. So getting in 18 holes before 9:00 allows me to get home and (a little late) to work. If it's a foursome then we play 12 - 15 holes depending on the time. If we play 12 holes then we're done by 8:00 and we have time for a coffee afterwards.

On weekends, we have a foursome organized with a stop for breakfast at the turn and some action on the 19th at the end of the round.

Edit: Edited to change the terminology!

Last edited:
I like both, and would love to do something like a mid-week 2 ball game before/after work. Also fun to play your own ball, so I’d have to have that be my second round of golf during the week or something though.

Just an open question with no right or wrong answer ...

In my case I prefer a 2 ball on weekdays where we can usually get 18 holes in quickly and without wasting time. We play in the mornings and are usually among the first groups to tee off. So getting in 18 holes before 9:00 allows me to get home and (a little late) to work. If it's a 4 ball then we play 12 - 15 holes depending on the time. If we play 12 holes then we're done by 8:00 and we have time for a coffee afterwards.

On weekends, we have a 4 ball organized with a stop for breakfast at the turn and some action on the 19th at the end of the round.

What is a 2 ball and, or, a 4 ball ?

I have no preference, have often played as a 2-ball with my usual playing partner, if the wives come along with myself and my playing partner then we have a 4-ball and we play as a 3-ball in the league matches

What are they, and how are they different?

Simply what it says

2 ball - a group of 2 players
4 ball - a group of 4 players

I have no preference, have often played as a 2-ball with my usual playing partner, if the wives come along with myself and my playing partner then we have a 4-ball and we play as a 3-ball in the league matches

Simply what it says

2 ball - a group of 2 players
4 ball - a group of 4 players
Not according to the RoG.

9b632cfb351c3810a4b3da7e380c6c81.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ok

Cultural differences I guess - if someone said to me we were playing as a 2/3/4-ball then to me it would be the number of players playing in the group

Reading the OP I am guessing that is what he was hinting based on location in India, the time mentioned for playing 18 as a 2-ball and 12-15 holes as a 4-ball, and then the weekend talk about stopping for breakfast etc

Cultural differences I guess - if someone said to me we were playing as a 2/3/4-ball then to me it would be the number of players playing in the group

Reading the OP I am guessing that is what he was hinting based on location in India, the time mentioned for playing 18 as a 2-ball and 12-15 holes as a 4-ball, and then the weekend talk about stopping for breakfast etc

I'd call that a twosome, threesome, or foursome (not to be confused with the foursomes format)... or pair; trio; four of us; or my boy, a couple of his friends, and me.

I'd call that a twosome, threesome, or foursome (not to be confused with the foursomes format)... or pair; trio; four of us; or my boy, a couple of his friends, and me.

You say 'tomato', I say 'tomato' :alien:

Double post??

What are they, and how are they different?

LOL! I didn't realize that there was a difference in terminology stateside!
So yeah 2 ball = twosome (2 players) and 4 ball = foursome (4 players)

Have edited my original post to clear up the confusion.

I like both, and would love to do something like a mid-week 2 ball game before/after work. Also fun to play your own ball, so I’d have to have that be my second round of golf during the week or something though.

Me too we should set something up

Not according to the RoG.

9b632cfb351c3810a4b3da7e380c6c81.jpg

That is essentially the format we play but I was referring to playing as a foursome.

Back