How much money would it take?

$10,000,000 is a lot of money. Never play golf again? Golf sims don't count right because they're essentially video games. So... sure. Give me the money.

Tenputt;n8637323 said:
Ha ha. I am going through life changes. My wife decided she wanted a divorce. It is a second marriage for both of us. We have been married for 2 and a half years and been in a relationship for 4 years. She really never came into the marriage and couldn’t give up her former life, once we were married and living together. She continuously travelled with her former friends, including couples with whom she and her deceased husband had travelled. I would be left out and feel hurt. We continued to go in circles over it and she finally said she just didn’t think our personalities meshed and wanted a divorce. Obviously, there is a lot going on there, but it has really caused me to think about what we value in life. I truly have loved this woman far more than anything else, but I don’t think everyone values relationships over pursuits or things.
I'm really sorry to hear this Craig. Relationships are hard enough without bringing extra expectations and obstacles into them. Best of luck.

I don't think I could give it up. Golf has become a huge part of my life and helped me in some tough times.

campilobaxter;n8873831 said:
I'm really sorry to hear this Craig. Relationships are hard enough without bringing extra expectations and obstacles into them. Best of luck.

Thanks for the kind words. It’s been a pretty rough go, but I’ll get through it.

Bye Felicia.

As hobbies I have:
Raced motorcycles
Flown Gliders
Scuba Diving
Competitive pistol shooting
Power lifted
Body building
Archery

so yeah, I can easily find another hobby with my $10M.

Last edited:
I'd miss golf for sure but for that amount of money I'd get by collecting guitars and travelling.

Yep. If you need me, I'll be in Vegas

Yes to the question. I would give up golf for $5M, so if anyone actually wants to do this, I'm a bargain!

I have lots of outdoor activity passions in addition to golf, so making a change would be fairly easy in one way. As it is, I struggle to find time and resources to do everything I love. But of the many things I enjoy about golf, I would miss the shared experience of playing with and engaging others in the challenge and gear. I love the diversity of people I meet golfing. My ski and mountain bike communities tend to be the more core mountain town dude and dudette dirtbag types. My herding community is dominantly hyper conservative rural. My work community is hyper focused academic anomalies. My natural resource / nature community tends to hug a lot of trees and kiss a lot of bunnies. But in golf, I meet a group that defies stereotype. That I like and would deeply miss. Working through this, I think I'm back up to $10M.

I would do it for 10k, I don't think I would for 10mil.

Let me explain;
10mil would mean I can pay people to fix and do everything around the house, that would leave me way more free time. Only so many hobbies I enjoy, and with that amount of free time I would need to fill it with golf. Now with the 10k, it would just go to the kids college fund, a vacation, or the kitchen remodel. It does not free up any time for me, so giving up golf would be easier. Plus the way I have been playing I should give it up anyway.

A decade ago when we didn't have clarity on our financial or retirement picture, my answer would have been yes. Now that I'm retired and my wife can retire whenever she wishes, the answer is no. We have enough to live the retirement lifestyle we dreamt of and the extra money wouldn't change that. Plus, most of my buddies and my youngest daughter are avid golfers and it would kill me to not be able to play. For $20MM tax free, I would say yes. :act-up:

It would have to be a hell of a lot more than $10M for me to give it up. I could blow that in a heartbeat. $10M is not a lot of money these days. Between where I would like to retire, the size of the house, all my boats, PWC's, etc. I could easily blow $10M

So the short answer is no way ... not unless there were a couple more zeroes attached to that. Like $10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ... oh wait, sorry about that I kept going in my dreamland

Yup, in a heartbeat. I have plenty of other hobbies that would do the trick. Fishing, boating, ATVs, snowmobiling

golfinnut;n8874642 said:
It would have to be a hell of a lot more than $10M for me to give it up. I could blow that in a heartbeat. $10M is not a lot of money these days. Between where I would like to retire, the size of the house, all my boats, PWC's, etc. I could easily blow $10M

So the short answer is no way ... not unless there were a couple more zeroes attached to that. Like $10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ... oh wait, sorry about that I kept going in my dreamland

haha, so 20 million no? 30? 100?

At some point, everyone has a number.

I always saw those lottery shows where people blow their winnings in like 3-5 years. Never believed it to be true, but the way some are talking in here I understand how it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadan;n8874653 said:
haha, so 20 million no? 30? 100?

At some point, everyone has a number.

Probably $20 BILLION :alien2:

Golf Ghost;n8874659 said:
I always saw those lottery shows where people blow their winnings in like 3-5 years. Never believed it to be true, but the way some are talking in here I understand how it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, lottery winners and the majority of pro athletes wind up broke within 5 years of being out of the league. The latest is Adrian Peterson who in spite of earning more than $100MM at the age of 34, is nearly broke. Amazing how so many of these guys surround themselves and trust the wrong people.

If I had 10 million post-tax in a lump sum, I'd probably park 1/3 of it in a low-cost index fund, 1/3 in government securities and blow the other 1/3 like a sailor gone ashore.

Et Tu Brute?;n8874686 said:
Heck, for ten million I'd give up golf AND give up drinking beer for the rest of my life.
One down, but I don't think golf would be so simple.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

In a hearbeat

Back