Golf or your Spouse

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
If your spouse/significant other said you must give up golf or I will divorce/leave you, would you give up the game?

I mean...if you're forcing an answer here, I'd probably give them up, as this is hypothetical and my actual wife would never do that. That's quite a personality flaw for them to have unless you are bankrupting your family through golf or something.

Just for a day or two until she cooled off.

Love golf but not that much. So i would keep spouse

I mean...if you're forcing an answer here, I'd probably give them up, as this is hypothetical and my actual wife would never do that. That's quite a personality flaw for them to have unless you are bankrupting your family through golf or something.

Agreed... It’s purely a hypothetical, unless the golf is an addiction to the point it is damaging the marriage (something I have seen, btw).

One of my club customers is getting a divorce ;(...I got him great stix...he was loving it!...now he's loving it more!

Is this even a question?

Family over everything. Always.

Give up something you love to do or they'd leave?

Is there a nuance here? Is the hobby bankrupting the family? Is there something burning that they want to do with you? Are you neglecting your chores around the house? Are they otherwise feeling neglected?

If the answer to those questions is "no," the ultimatum is about control.

I would if she gave me no choice. But I would surely take it up again after realizing that I shouldn't be with someone who would give me such an ultimatum.

Such ultimatums are indicative of other issues in the marriage.

Knowing this is a hypothetical question. If I were given an ultimatum like that, then I would be dealing with a deeper seeded issue that just golf. It would probably mean that I am neglecting my marriage if it had come to that point. So, I would have to tackle those issues front and center. So, it would be some deep reflection on what kind of husband I had been up to that point and a decisive decision to be better going forward. So, I would have to focus on being a husband first and fitting golf in if possible in the future.

Is this even a question?

This is my answer as well.. Not even close to being a hard choice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve only had 1 hole in one playing golf so I’m choosing my spouse. (That’s a silly way of saying the same thing as JMan, btw)

This is my answer as well.. Not even close to being a hard choice

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Of course I know what your answer would have been, @93civiccpe, because you are such a good guy.

Is this even a question?

That would be my answer too. Nerfny on the other hand might take golf.

Family first.
Dont get me wrong, we'd have a serious discussion about ultimatums, but I'd never choose a hobby over my family.

Is this even a question?

Yea that’s the actual answer, but you probably shouldn’t have gotten married to someone who would do this in the first place, which would be the problem. I just can’t see any situation where my wife would tell me to stop a hobby of mine

Yes I would give up golf for ever.....why is this even a question? Perhaps the OP has issues at home....

I would choose a spouse over Golf and it's not even really a question for me. I would hope my significant other wouldn't make such a demand.

I won't ever have this decision with my current wife. Married 35+ and dated 7 before marriage. She likes watching, going to tournaments and occasionally playing golf. How lucky is that?

That would be my answer too. Nerfny on the other hand might take golf.

Hey, I’ve slept in the same be....uh....room as you before so I get it.

Back