Trying to Break 80 Club

Well it finally happened today - shot an 79 (with four three putts, my nemeses). 42/37. 10 FIR and 8 GIR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats

Thanks. Had some regression to the mean but it's nice to know it could happen when the stars align.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 today. 4 3-putts did me in and a double bogey on 13 kept the 70s out of reach for me today.

I shot an 80 today so I just about did it. I'm not too disappointed because I was shooting over 100 at the beginning of the season. Hopefully it won't be too much longer to get into the 70's.

I shot a 80, 80 and 79...and then my last 2 rounds were a 90 and 93.
43 putts last time out.
Worked on putting (!!!) a lot the last few days, and my driver was leaving me in trouble, and got that sorted out.

Playing a new course that is renowned as one of the best in the area. But, it has lots of blind shots (but is a short course). I think it would be an 'easier' course if you knew the course well.

Its $180/round. That's a lot of dough. I'm actually thinking about getting a caddie for the first time ever so I can have someone tell me where to hit to (especially on the blind shots).

I actually had a blow up round where it felt like nothing was working and was able to contain to a 93. The course I played was in terrible condition and I played in the morning with a really heavy dew, my ball looked like it had a mohawk rolling across the greens and I didn't have a decent lie all day it seemed like. Not even in the same neighborhood as braking 80, but earlier in the season it would have yielded a triple digit disaster. My driver swing had completely disappeared and I shanked two ball way off line on the same hole and took an 8 on a par 4. Went and put the driver in the truck and played the 3w and 5w off the tee the rest of the day and kept it in the fairway. Approach shots were off and GIR was really low. Chipping wasn't good either but it was acceptable. With the time change now my range sessions are pretty much over for the year so I'm going to have to figure something out I can do inside my house, other than putting, to work on chip shots. Overall I'm pretty happy with my progress this year and hope I can carry it over to next year. Next year is the year I'm going to really bear down and work on my game and get some lessons, I didn't really start this year until late summer so I think I have a pretty good chance to go lower next year.

Shot a 79 today. Had a eagle and 2 birdies on the front to shoot a even 36, 1 double and a group of bogies but finished par par for a +7 (43) on the back. First time breaking 80 in 5 years.

Chipping.
Chipping.
Chipping.
Chipping.

:at-wits-end:

If I could just chip worth a damn I would be there. I have broken in to a vicious cycle of trying to put some touch on a chip and flubbing it. Then next time I accelerate through and usually hit it way past the hole and leave myself a really long put. Then back to trying to add some touch. Then back to hitting it past the hole, etc etc.

Played a PB of 39 on the front 9 of Northview Canal course. Had to stop after the 10th hole due to the heavy rain.

I don't think I would have played under 80 but it is very motivating to play +3 after 9 holes!

Maybe in 2016!

Played a PB of 39 on the front 9 of Northview Canal course. Had to stop after the 10th hole due to the heavy rain.

I don't think I would have played under 80 but it is very motivating to play +3 after 9 holes!

Maybe in 2016!
Is 19.9 your current HC?
A 39 is a great score.

Is 19.9 your current HC?
A 39 is a great score.

Yes it is, RCGA doesn't calculate the scores past Nov 15 I'f im not mistaken as it is considered "off season". I shot a double bogey on the 10th and I'm pretty sure I would have ended up in the high 80's low 90's as usual.

I forgot to post it but I had a 6-7 footer for a 79 a few weeks ago. I missed it. Finished with an 80. Back to the grind!

Maybe in 2016!

Congrats on a great round!!! Hoping you do it in 2016.

Not sure how much golf will be played between now and the spring, it's all weather dependent, but hopefully I can join this thread and break 80 soon. 40-44-84 today in very wet conditions, but I was cleaning my ball and placing it after most every shot do to the wet/mud ball conditions. Thought I had a chance after the front, but couldn't get off the bogey train on the back.

A 41/41=82 in strong wind yesterday.
It was my first time out in 5 weeks, and I didn't get to warm up.

3 triple bogies.
2 of them I can live with.
The first one was on 1. Hit a huge duck hook off the tee into trees. That was my first swing of the day, and it was UGLY.

My score could have been better, but I'm really happy with the way I was swinging the clubs. A nice way to close out the 2015 golf year.

Happy New Years one and all. I hope all of you leave the 80's in the rear view mirror in 2016.

Having shot an 83 last summer and shooting a PB 82 last weekend and a few other solid rounds in the high 80's, shooting to break 80 in 2016.
This might be a stretch goal but it'll be a goal I'm aiming towards in 2016!

I have and 83 this year, it just seems like i am hanging out in 41-42 range per nine. I know it is just little things, an unnecessary 3 putt or a duffed chip that is costing me strokes. I want to find the high 70's and stay there. It is early in the year so plenty of time to reach that goal.

I had an 87 first time out in 2016, in windy and raw conditions and no chipping at all. Also had a 3 shot swing due to a boneheaded decision.

Now while I can't wipe all those away that kind of round would have ended up around 95 before. So to that end alone I have hopes that sometime this year I can break through!

I had a pair of 80's this weekend. Lost two balls during one round, had 39 putts during the other.
I shot 85 with three lost balls.
I figure I have a couple of rounds below 80 in me this year.

I had 84 and 82 as first rounds of the year after being snowed in a couple months. Better start than last year. And it was on unfamiliar courses so gives me some light that I'll be in here more regularly

still can't break 80 even though I'm consistently in the 80s. shot an 87 and 82 on unfamiliar courses this week in tough conditions so I am happy with the start to the year with not being able to practice or play much recently. this past year I shot 3 80s so it's just a matter of time. a lil more wedge practice and I'll be there. only have 2 rounds over 89 the past 5 months one of which being on a very hard course.

Going to start reading this thread with interest. Have always hovered in the low 80s, only broken a handful of times. Goal for this year is to get under again.

Kicked 80 in the nards today with a 77 from 6450 in the muck. A couple birdies offset my one double bogey. My driver was hot today and just powered my way around the course missing only 3 fairways by a small amount.

Back