Trying to Break 80 Club

Came ohhh so close today! I shot a front nine +3 (40) and all I had to do was be +5 on the back and I had shot 79. Well that didn't work, I shot +8 on the back and finished w/ and 82. Disappointing, as that is the 2nd time in 2 weeks I've had a chance like that and I let it slip away on the back. Not anymore!!! I do like that I have now shot really low 40s a couple times and it's early in the season. I only did that 2 times last year, and they were at the very end (October). Hopefully mid 70s by seasons end!!

I got it done today, (but it don't count, lol.). Played in a one man scramble, so two tries on every shot. I still only shot an even par 72, but with my back still healing I'll take it. Plenty of chances to go low, just killing myself with the irons.

Tap,Tap,Tap

I have officially promoted myself from the "breaking 90" thread to this one. My handicap has drpped 6 shots in the last year and I have now carded 14 straight rounds in the 80's with a low round of 82. I have been really working hard on my 50 yard and in game and that's been the key, even when I spray a few off the tee if I can get up and down most of the time.

Yesterday was my day to break 80...couldnt get it done though. Shot a 42/40, double bogey on #1, then a 3 putt on a par 5 (to miss eagle and birdie, to make par)...

Played well, will enjoy my 82, but keep pushing to get under 80.

I have officially promoted myself from the "breaking 90" thread to this one. My handicap has drpped 6 shots in the last year and I have now carded 14 straight rounds in the 80's with a low round of 82. I have been really working hard on my 50 yard and in game and that's been the key, even when I spray a few off the tee if I can get up and down most of the time.

Time to change that user name it sounds like. I love hearing things like this. Congratulations my friend. I smell a 79 just around the corner!!!

This past week was a good one for me. I have not shot below 80 in a while and going into the Memorial Day break I was feeling like my time was coming. Got out to play with some friends and I was playing really well. I was keeping the ball in the fairway and hitting it pretty well. Then I had a blow up on the back nine. I was 3 over going into 14 and I started slicing my drives. I finished the last 5 holes 5 over. When I counted the stokes I had an 80 (so close!). What a terrible finish! Then went out to play again later that day and everything was firing! I was playing even better than before and was 2 over through 14 after playing 13 and 14 2 under. Then the wind picked up (the course I was playing was right on a lake). The last 4 holes were dead into a 25 to 30 mph wind. I doubled 15, and then bogey, bogey, bogey. Grrr! Total score a 79! I was super excited and bummed all at the same time! Should have been much lower, but hey I did it!

Played again two more times and shot a solid 78 on one of my favorite courses ever and then an 84 on a super tough course. I am feeling like i am playing more consistently and getting my stuff together. Hopefully I can keep this up!

Played a round today where my previous best was 79.

Round.png

Well pleased with the round, didn't think I would shoot a 74 after being 5 over for the first 3 holes

Well, a little bit of a stolen idea, but what about for all the guys trying to break 80? If you are just struggling and haven't shot in the 70's in a while or even if you have never done it before and you are almost there post your progress and let us know how you're doing!
Wasn't my goal but I did it over a 2 day period!
Shot a +1 39 on the back side on a Fri and then a +3 38 (par 73) the next day playing with the wife. My previous best score was a 86 and my actual goal is to be avg in the low to mid 80s. But after I put the Srixon Z-Star driver in the bag, I went from avg 210 and sometimes in the fw to avg 240 and almost always in the fw! Sure made the course more manageable!
A friend of ours who is a 4 said "great, now try to do it on the same day!" lol

Wow portal! 30 yard difference is huge. Congrats on that and the scores!

I broke 80 for the first time today!
Shot +4 each side to give me a 79. Can't give too detailed of a description right now, but I will update in a few hours.
I was psyched. I almost made the 20 footer I had for birdie on 18 (Had to par 18 to shoot 79) and left it about a foot short. I tapped the footer in and I fist pumped and then I just squatted there looking down for a minute like "Wow, I finally did it." I picked the ball out of the hole and was so happy I almost forgot my putter headcover on the fringe!! Can't wait to get out again. It is another milestone I've passed in my golf journey. Thank you all for being a part of it :D

Broke 80 last year for the first time. 75 when I almost went home because I was too sick to play. Shoy a 78 later in 2010.

This year, shot a 97 at my "Home" course. Next week came back and shot a 78 on the same course, Saturday shot an 87. Same course.

When I hit fairways, pitch it close on my approaches and put well, I have a chance at breaking 80.

Every time I have, all 3, I had 27 putts.

so my last 5 rounds i have shot 80 so at least im consistant. this is at 3 different courses but the one that really grinds on me is my most recent. In lashing down rain i only missed 4 fairways all round 3 of which were in the first cut and missed 4 greens in regulation which is the best iv ever played. Where iv fell over was on the green!!!!! The greens and pins were very tuff but thats no excuse to 3 put 6 holes and finish with 40 putts. i think i know why my handi cap is getting stuck around 11/12. any putting tips would be appreciated.

Finally broke through today on a course I was playing for the 1st time. Opens with 1 par 5's which thanks to a hole out from a green side bunker I went birdie-birdie. Went out EVEN and almost let it slip away on the back 9. Last hole I was in left rough, 217 yds out into a pretty good wind. Rough grabbed the face and shut it more than I was anticipating and sent it pin high but left. There was a group of people even further left and well... Guess they took offense and swiped my ball because it was G.O.A! Now I'm aggravated at the miss, the lost ball that I played all round with that I was planning kn saving so I proceed to flub my pitch. Chipped on and had 10 ft putt for 79. Must admit that putter head was trembling a bit but I made the putt. Me being me and the biggest reason I dont score lower... Only let that high last an hour and then starting tearing apart the back nine and was disappointed bc I knew it should've been lower. Only difference is this time I waited until after the round to get that way 

Last edited:
I'm in for sure. Lately I have been killing it on the greens but have been dropping a few shots with my irons. If its not one thing its another right? My goal is to break 80 by the end of the summer hopefully.

Shot 78 the about a week ago! 3rd time breaking 80!

Some great results coming in, man everyone is breaking the bearier. Good job everyone, keep it going.

Last rounds are 81-79-79-83-77-83-78-80.

Much better than what I had been doing earlier in the year, but finally back to believing that sub 80 rounds are well within my means..

Lots of great rounds in here guys, keep it up!

I have run into a wall lately. I have been shooting consistently in the 80s, but I am hooking everything with my irons. I called my pro on my way to work and set up a session to fix what is going wrong. Hopefully I will get this little problem ironed out tonight and get back to shooting good numbers again.

I have run into a wall lately. I have been shooting consistently in the 80s, but I am hooking everything with my irons. I called my pro on my way to work and set up a session to fix what is going wrong. Hopefully I will get this little problem ironed out tonight and get back to shooting good numbers again.

I've been fixing what turned into a fade with my irons, and the pro has me turning my hands over a lot in my backswing (or at least avoiding opening them, which I was REALLY doing prior to my lesson... Every once in a while I get a really ugly hook because of overcompensation haha, but it's a process I guess!

Hopefully your pro can help you out man!

Just peeking fellas. I'm hoping to be back here later this year once I get the putting squared away. :D

I've been fixing what turned into a fade with my irons, and the pro has me turning my hands over a lot in my backswing (or at least avoiding opening them, which I was REALLY doing prior to my lesson... Every once in a while I get a really ugly hook because of overcompensation haha, but it's a process I guess!

Hopefully your pro can help you out man!

I know he can help me out! He is a great guy. I really just need to have a little direction I think and I will be striping the ball again consistently. When I tell myself to, "Do nothing at the expense of balance," I hit the ball long, straight and high. I need a little more direction than that and he will give me some good swing thoughts I am sure.

I know he can help me out! He is a great guy. I really just need to have a little direction I think and I will be striping the ball again consistently.

I feel the same way. I tend to be very self destructive with my swing if I dont check in with my pro every 6 weeks or so. I had a lesson with him last week after my driving and putting had gone wayward and he straightened me out in the short hour we had. I feel confident that I would have broken 80 again this weekend had it not been for 2 holes where my brain decided to shut off. I had a quintuple (9 on a par 4) and a triple on back to back holes and still shot an 82 that day.

Lucky for me, I'm volunteering at the Travelers Championship this week and will get to see some great golf swings up close and personal. Hopefully my game will improve just by watching these guys up close haha!

Did it 3 times at the end of last year, but yet to do it this year. Last week I shot an 83 with 8 penalty strokes due to lost balls off the tee :dohanim: Hopefully I can straighten the drives out and keep hitting everything else the same!

Back