Trying to Break 80 Club

Great job guy's, all of you are sooo close. Jman, Chilly, Gus R and TGOH are all on the edge ready to tip over at any time, lol. Wish I was! My last two times out have felt like the best golf I've ever played, even better than the few times I've broken 80, just didn't see it on the card when I was done. Shot 39 on the front yesterday with all par's except #5 was a bogey and flucked my drive on nine into trouble for a double. Several short birdie putts, just couldn't get them to go. I felt just as strong on the back nine, just more missed putts and a couple wayward drives.

Played the round with my buddy D_Dub, his wife and another friend and had a great time. Dub is so close to breaking 100 it's crazy. I think he'll be there any day.

edit: forgot to mention the score, lol. 45 on the back for another 84. So close, yet so far!

84 is my best so far but I feel it coming soon!

Today was a very bad day for me. I could not get the ball on the green to save my life hitting only 5 greens all day. The funny part is I had 220 to the pin on a 450 par 4 today and knocked it on the green and made a par. Other than that it was a very bad day shooting 46-41 87 one the worst rounds in two months. I felt I was on the verge of some good scores this month and now I am going backwards. Maybe Wednesday I will get back in the groove.

79 today! played smarter today and only used the driver on a few holes with bigger landing areas. Hit one OB and made a 6 on that hole..the rest were bogeys..no birds today though..putting myself in postion to make them..just need a hot putter

I'm in. Have been actively trying to break 80 for about 4 months. Went out last weekend and shot a 2 over 37 on the front 9...70s here I come I thought. Not so fast...a disastrous back 9 resulted in a 44. By the way that included 3-putting on the last green....oh well back to work!

I guess that the work and playing "Smarter " will work out, Sunday I shot 79 with an 8 on a par 4 Lost ball and drop with a bad fourth shot so I will take it. Learning to think my way around and rembering the good feeling and loosing the bad and angry when things go wrong. After the 8 I went par , birdie , par , birde on a par 4, par 3 and 2 par 5's birding them both. Starting to like my game.

I guess that the work and playing "Smarter " will work out, Sunday I shot 79 with an 8 on a par 4 Lost ball and drop with a bad fourth shot so I will take it. Learning to think my way around and rembering the good feeling and loosing the bad and angry when things go wrong. After the 8 I went par , birdie , par , birde on a par 4, par 3 and 2 par 5's birding them both. Starting to like my game.

nice! it's good that you recovered after the quad, that's impressive. as for me, i haven't shot a round in the 80's in the past few months, until my b-day round! shot an 83, it felt weird, and i had to work way to hard to shoot an 83. it was the most uncomfortable i've been with my putter in a long, long time. i feel that anytime i'm pushing 40 putts in a round and walk away with an 83, then ball striking's pretty good!

I set a goal before this season to shoot in the 70's at least 4 times this year. I have accomplished that 3 times so far with my season low 77, a 78 and a 79. I just need to accomplish this one more time to have met my goal and I am working my butt off. Last Sunday was the perfect chance but I missed 7 birdie putts that were all makeable but did manage to make 2 birdies in the round. I get frustrated when I'm hitting the ball inside of 15 feet and can't make a birdie but I watch the pros do the same thing week after week so I can't be too hard on myself. I was 5 over coming into the par 5 16th but I left my 3rd shot in a bunker left of the green and hit my shot thin over the other side into the rough as I scambled to make a double bogey.

Then on the lovely par 3 17th with a pond 3 times larger than the green, I blocked my tee shot right in the pond. Once again I scambled to make double bogey. After a par at the 18th and a final score of 81 I look back and over analyze every 3 footer I missed to the stupid penalty stroke I took on 17 as the fault in my quest. This game is hard enough without mental errors causing strokes to add up. I have the skill to consistenly shoot in the 70's but right now if I lose focus at all during the round I can let a good 4 or 5 strokes slip right out the door. Damn this game.

Well I did it and not just barely!! Shot a 75 at the Bull at Pinehurst Farms yesterday from the blue tees. 6867 yards with a rating of 73.8 and a slope of 144. On the first hole I did not think that the day was going to go well because I missed being OB with my drive by 2 yards but ended up making par. On number 2 I was 6 feet out for birdie and ended up lipping out my put and made another par. Then came the 4th which at 493 yards is a very reachable par 5 for me. I ended up being 180 out on my second and got on the green in 2 and 2 putted for my birdie. I have to say that this is the first time I can remember in a LONG time that I had been -1 after 4 holes. Got a par on 5, then a par on the par 3 6th. Then came number 7. This is only a 293 yard par 4 but the green is elevated 20 feet straight up with a huge bunker at the end of the fairway so you only have 237 to get to that bunker. So I decide to make the smart play and hit a 2 hybrid and get within 75 yards for my 2nd. Needless to say I pulled it big time into the woods on the left. Thank goodness I found it and put it into the fairway on my 2nd, I then hit my 3rd long and into the back bunker (must have had some angry adrenaline going!!), made a terrible out and 2 putted for a double. I then had a bogey on the par 5 8th and a par on the 9th to have a 38 on the front nine my best of the year to date.

The back 9 started out looking like it was going to be as good as the front with a blistering t shot on the 444 yard par 4 that left me only 120 yards out for my second. Well I for some reason did not take into effect that the pin was in the back right on top of a large shelf and I landed my 2nd just short of the shelf and it spun back 20 feet to leave me with a very difficult 50 footer. I ended up 3 putting for bogey. I came back with a par on the short 331 yard par 4 11th I then got a bogey on the long 230 yard 12th with a poor t shot left of the green and a poor chip and then a bogey on the 564 yard par 5 13th with just all around poor shot making. at this point I am starting to worry about throwing the round away (something that I have always dealt with when I am in position to score well). But this time something was different. I now know what it feels like to be in the grove. I got pars on 14, 15 and 16 keeping me at +3 for the nine. Then came the 541 yard par 5 17th. Needless to say this hole is intimidating. There is a DEEP ravine that splits the fairway in 2 and while it is 349 yards away from the t-box there is a huge hill that runs down the fairway that will collect all of the t-shots into a bowl of sorts unless you catch the down slope with your drive then you can (and I have) end up going in the ravine. So I decided to hit 3W off the t and try to catch the downslope and put it in the bowl before the ravine. I can honestly say that I have never hit as good of a 3W in my life. It was just blistered and ended up in the middle of the fairway about 200 yards out for my 2nd. Do you go for it or do you lay up and give your self a chance at par or a 1 put for birdie? I had been hitting my long irons great all day so I decided to hit a 5 iron and go for it. Now bear in mind this is a very down hill approach. I lined it up at the left side of the green where there is a lot of room to miss in either direction and took my swing. Not perfect but with a little cut on it and put it on in 2 about 15 feet away. I 2 putted and took my birdie. +2. Next was the up hill 462 yard par 4 18th. This hole has been my nemesis ever since I started playing this course. The green is surrounded on the front and right by marsh land and the back has a huge hill with tall fescue. Not much room for error. So I stood on the t box looking at water on the left and at the end of the fairway and 2 large bunkers on the right and took my swing. Another good drive ending up about 180 yards out for my 2nd. I must say that I was lucky because the pin was on the left side of the green which gave me a lot more bail out room so I took that same 5 iron that I hit on the last hole and again she didnt let me down and put my self 6 feet out for birdie. While I didnt have to worry about breaking 80 anymore I did have that 75 number in front of me. The put wasnt that hard and was slightly up hill and next to no break and in she went for another birdie to finish with a 37.

38-37 for a 75 best round of my life!!!

Some quick stats of my round for you all as well

Fairways- 8/14
Greens- 12/18
Puts- 32

Not a bad day at all!! Now I just have to do it again.

Hard to believe that with a 7.6 handicap you've never broken 80 ... wow. Congrats !

If this is your first time breaking 80 how are you a 7.6? Are you just going by the one score? Congrats on the great round.

wow, i see you hit a 340 yard 3wood on that par 5 17th. thats crazy! nice round! and I to am curious about the handicap thing.

I always play harder courses. If you look at the rating and the slope of this course 73.8/144 that means that you do not have to break 80 to get a 7 hcp. A handicap is not figured out by averaging 7.6 strokes over par it is based off of the dificulty of the courses you play and your score in relation to par based on the rating and slope of the course.

Here is some more info from the USGA handicap guide

10-1. Calculation of Handicap Differentials

A Handicap Differential is computed from four elements: adjusted gross score, USGA Course Rating, Slope Rating, and 113 (the Slope Rating of a course of standard difficulty). To determine the Handicap Differential, subtract the USGA Course Rating from the adjusted gross score; multiply the difference by 113; and divide the resulting number by the Slope Rating. Round the final number to the nearest tenth.

Handicap Differential = (Adjusted Gross Score - USGA Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

a. Plus Handicap Differential

When the adjusted gross score is higher than the USGA Course Rating, the Handicap Differential is a positive number. The following is an example for determining a Handicap Differential using an adjusted gross score of 95 made on a course with a USGA Course Rating of 71.5 and a Slope Rating of 125:

Adjusted Gross Score - USGA Course Rating: 95 - 71.5 = 23.5
Difference x Standard Slope Rating: 23.5 x 113 = 2655.5
Result / Slope Rating: 2655.5 / 125 = 21.24
Handicap Differential (rounded): 21.2

So for an 84 on that same course

AGS - Raiting: 84-73.8= 10.2
Difference x Standard Slope Rating: 10.2 x 113 = 1152.6
Result / Slope Rating: 1152.6 / 144
Handicap Differential (rounded): 8.00

you then take your handicap differential and multiply it by .96 which gives you a handicap index of 7.6

So that is how you figure out your handicap index. You also only take your lowest scores in proportion to the number of rounds that you have recorded up to the 20 most recent

5-6 rounds lowest 1 score
7-8 lowest 2
9-10 lowest 3
11-12 lowest 4
13-14 lowest 5
15-16 lowest 6
17 lowest 7
18 lowest 8
19 lowest 9
20 lowest 10

Last edited:
Now here is a great club to share in misery! Only have broken 80 a hanful of times and each year I set out as my goal that this is the year to consistantly do it! Well...the year is 1/2 way over and not yet. However...I see improvement and one of these days its going to happen. (Fingers crossed)

Starting over....this Friday!

I always play harder courses. If you look at the rating and the slope of this course 73.8/144 that means that you do not have to break 80 to get a 7 hcp. A handicap is not figured out by averaging 7.6 strokes over par it is based off of the dificulty of the courses you play and your score in relation to par based on the rating and slope of the course.

Here is some more info from the USGA handicap guide

10-1. Calculation of Handicap Differentials

A Handicap Differential is computed from four elements: adjusted gross score, USGA Course Rating, Slope Rating, and 113 (the Slope Rating of a course of standard difficulty). To determine the Handicap Differential, subtract the USGA Course Rating from the adjusted gross score; multiply the difference by 113; and divide the resulting number by the Slope Rating. Round the final number to the nearest tenth.

Handicap Differential = (Adjusted Gross Score - USGA Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

a. Plus Handicap Differential

When the adjusted gross score is higher than the USGA Course Rating, the Handicap Differential is a positive number. The following is an example for determining a Handicap Differential using an adjusted gross score of 95 made on a course with a USGA Course Rating of 71.5 and a Slope Rating of 125:

I'm aware of how one gets a handicap. I was just surprised that your HC is that low never having broke 80. Not calling you out, just surprised is all. Do you only play one course?

No this is not the only course that I play but none of the courses that I have played this year has a slope less than 130 and in my last 15 rounds only 4 have been above 84.

I posted the handicap info for those that may not know how it works.

Got out for the first time in a while today at a tough track here in CT. Was disappointed with my 46 on the front and knew 80 was out of question. My 39 on the back has me hopeful for my next time out, which may be in Bermuda next week (for those who remember my trip there last year, we're heading back!).

Was 2+ through 8 and tripled 18 (9th hole) to finish 5+ on that side. Shot 43 on the front to shoot 84. I'm so close I can feel it.

Played a Men's Club match today and shot my 2nd below 80 round of the year. Had a 39-38 for 77 (shot a 79 2 weeks ago) and closed out the match on the 12th hole. Just one of those rare days when my normally good putter was supported by the rest of my bag too. Playing a one day tournament on Saturday... hopefully I can remember what I did to day and keep it going. Then next Monday I'm hitting the road for a 6 day golf trip with my brother... we'll likely be playing at least 6 rounds in 5 days in Idaho and Montana.

Just shot my first round under 80, barely. Shot a 79 with a 4-over 39 on the front 9 and a 3-over 40 on the back 9. Got nervous for a bit when I recorded a double-bogey on the par 3 17th (green is surrounded by forest and pulled my first shot into the woods) but managed to make par on the par 5 18th to finally get below 80. Now all I need to do is do this on a regular basis...should be easy enough (and by easy I mean I fully expect to shoot a 90 the next time I go out).

Never thought I would be posting in this thread! Shot 77 today. Here's what happened.

My season average is 91. Low round was 83.

Woke up all night with a bad sinus headache. Scheduled Tee time was 7:04. Got to Oddessey in Tinley park, IL at 6:45 and my playing partners called to cancel. I had already paid but really thought I was too sick to play. The starter told me he would put me with a twosome teeing off at 6:55. Great golfers too! Here I was sick, no warm up, tired, rushing to play a course I only played one before.

I kept hearing the advice Phil Michleson got for the British Open. "Slow down, shorten the backswing." So that's what I did. Hit the first fairway with a 280 yard drive, hit the green, 2 putt. Next hole, parr 3, drove the green, 2 putt. On the 4th tee, the other golfers commented that I was hitting all the fairways and had all pars. Hole 4 is a short severe dog left. SInce I draw the ball, I hit a hybrid that duck hooked, hit the base of a tree and bounce back onto the fairway advancing further to the green.

I was so sick, I just stayed in basics of the shots I needed to make. Hit all but 2 fairways, 1 sand save that almost got holed.

2 bogeys, 7 pars and 16 putts on the front 9. 4 bogeys, 4 pars, 1 bird, 13 puts on the back nine.

Had a few chips that lipped out. Score could have been even lower.

Woo Hoo! Playing sick can be good!

Everyone has been getting on it and I have felt VERY left behind, lol. However, I man-ed up today to get it done. I shot a 78 today, only the second time this year below 80. That was with 34 putt's, 5 fairways front and back, 4 greens front and six on the back. My iron's were getting me close today with a 4 iron from 185 to 5 feet. I like day's like this, haha.

Broke 80 again with a 37/39 = 76 (+5)

Not too impressed with the back but it was my home course career low.

Well figure its time I chime in on this thread. Breaking 80's on the horizon for me and a goal of mine for the next couple of months. Today I came close, with a chance to shoot 80 if I shot par on the last 2 holes...unfortunately I went double bogey, triple bogey and ended up with an 85. At this point I'm still not using a driver and I tee off with my 4I, but I should have my supfast and superfast 3W by the end of the week so hope that opens up some options for me. Lately it seems like I'm 1 or 2 terrible holes away from playing some pretty darn good golf (IMO). Anyway, hopefully I'll be joining some of you soon. Here's my card from today if anyone's interested http://www.oobgolf.com/golfers/score.php?id=1198203.

I have not posted in this thread in a while... Looks like some of you guys are really getting the games together this year, and it's great to see!

For me, it's been a mess of 9 hole evening rounds, many in the 37-42 range, but rarely have I been able to get the full 18 in without a few blow up holes... Most of the 18 scores have been 81-84.

Oh well.. It's been a great year for me in terms of getting to the course. I hope you're all enjoying the fight for 80 as much as I am.

Back