Trying to Break 80 Club

congrats duey and dent!

Still trying to break 80. -.- 85 for that matter.

Does it feel good knowing you can beat Ray Romano?

Well I think I'll be posting in here alot more often. Shot a 78 the other day, felt pretty easy actually. The double on the par 5 9th didn't help though.

My plan for a good year at the begining of the season was to break 80 at least 4 times this season and I have done it twice, and Saturday I doubled a simple par 4 to shoot 80 so I have about 2 and a half to 3 months left to get where I wanted to be for this season.

Time for me to join this thread, I have been hanging in the low 80's for several rounds now. I get close on one side then crap out on the other, if only the putting could be on when the driver is on.

As I posted in a couple other thread a couple of weeks ago I broke 80 with a 79. Forgot to post it in here I guess.

81 today. 39 front and 41 back, lol. I did not hit a fairway the entire front nine. Putting and chipping got things done there, but on the back I hit almost every fairway and the chipping played out, wtf? 16 putts on the front with 19 on the back, along with a three putt.

Hit a few times in th 70s this year. The times i havn't its been because of a stupid blow up hole typically on 9 or 18 (Both risk/reward par 5s)

I think i can hit a 75 before the year is over, just gotta sharpen up my game!

shot an 86 yesterday and an 88 last week. just broke 90 at the end of june and am working on it. plenty of 86-89's, and one time an 81 at my home course. getting close. i will definitely post here when i finally break 80.

Been struggling the last few weeks with my swing and shooting in the mid 80's. Friday I shot 38 on the front side including a double bogey. Started out the back nine with a bogey then ran off 3 straight pars but ran into two double bogies back to back. Parred 16 and 17 and came to the 18th hole needing a par. The hole is 442 yards long and is a par 4. Hit my drive in the right rough and had 195 to the green. Hit what I thought was a very good shot to the green but since I could not see the green I had to wait until I got there. The ball must have hit the side of the green and rolled down into a greenside bunker. I could see the trail the ball left in the bunker. I could not see the pin from the bunker as it was pretty deep and the green was elevated. Hit the shot just as I visualized it and the ball ended up about 6 feet from the hole. Knowing I needed to make the putt to break 80 I made sure of the line and speed and rolled it dead center for the par. It felt pretty good coming back from those two double bogeys to do it and I was pretty happy that I did not get upset after making them on 14 and 15. I have been trying to stay more into the game and not let my poor shots affect the way I approach the next shot and it has been working pretty well so far.

Been struggling the last few weeks with my swing and shooting in the mid 80's. Friday I shot 38 on the front side including a double bogey. Started out the back nine with a bogey then ran off 3 straight pars but ran into two double bogies back to back. Parred 16 and 17 and came to the 18th hole needing a par. The hole is 442 yards long and is a par 4. Hit my drive in the right rough and had 195 to the green. Hit what I thought was a very good shot to the green but since I could not see the green I had to wait until I got there. The ball must have hit the side of the green and rolled down into a greenside bunker. I could see the trail the ball left in the bunker. I could not see the pin from the bunker as it was pretty deep and the green was elevated. Hit the shot just as I visualized it and the ball ended up about 6 feet from the hole. Knowing I needed to make the putt to break 80 I made sure of the line and speed and rolled it dead center for the par. It felt pretty good coming back from those two double bogeys to do it and I was pretty happy that I did not get upset after making them on 14 and 15. I have been trying to stay more into the game and not let my poor shots affect the way I approach the next shot and it has been working pretty well so far.

Great JOB GUS!

went down to Ayr on saturday to play 2 rounds of golf.
first round teed off at 9am and from the off i was hitting the ball well.
shot 39 on the front 9.
back 9 was an adventure. was going along ok till i took an 8 on a par 4.
i offset this with a 2 on the next par 3 after an 8 iron to 2 ft.
coming down the last needed a par 4 for 79. took an iron for safety, then hit my chip fat. and ended up with a bogey for a nice round 80.!! so close.
par of the course was 68 so with handicap i was 4 under for the round. pretty pleased.

the 2nd round wasnt nearly as good so i wont talk much about that..LOL :D

Nice job Brian!

Shot 42/38 - 80 - today... A couple very bad breaks on the back nine that lead to two double bogeys.. Beyond that, very happy with my outcome.. In fact, that puts my last three rounds at 80/81/80... Sounds like I'm ready for a few in the 70s!

I think this would be a good home for me. I been playing golf 3 months now, mine and my coaches goal is for me to be off single figures by the end of the year so sub-80 rounds are what's required.

I've already done it twice (a 76 3-4 weeks ago then a 77 yesterday) so I know I can do it, just gotta make it consistant. I'm getting my new sticks on Thursday which are fitted for me so hopefully that'll help.

80 today, 2 doubles, (+6) Front (+3) Back,

easily could have broken 80 but the bad front 9 and having to take an un-playable on the 18th hole prevented me from doing so.

After I broke 80 (79) about a month ago my game went downhil. Too many swing thoughts and too much tinkering with my swing. I got to a point where it wasn't as much a swing as a sequence of short moves all accompanied by a "check position". Last week I decided to stop overthinking it, leave the tinkering for the range and just swing and since then I've posted an 80, 81 and 82 and it could have been much lower if the putter hadn't decided it would be much more fun to see me 3-put more often.

Nice rounds Lefty! I had the same issue about a month ago, but I was reading a book on sports/golf psychology, and it was talking about finding something to keep your mind busy in your swing. It says to speak in your head when the club reaches the top of the swing, the impact, and when it's completed.

I am not great at the completed part, but trying to think about it is enough to stop me from trying to screw with my swing for now haha!

Good stuff Lefty, thats some great rounds. I made the mistake of watching a teaching segment before my round yesterday, wrong! First two wholes I was "The Mad Scientist", lol, but once I shut that stuff down and just hit the ball things went much better. New swing thoughts and tinkering stays on the range from now on, haha

Thanks! Nothing like an overactive mind to ruin a game of golf. The "Mad Scientist" reference def works. I once watched instruction videos before going out; it was like watching Sir Charles swing (ok maybe not that bad but you get the picture).

Nice rounds Lefty! I had the same issue about a month ago, but I was reading a book on sports/golf psychology, and it was talking about finding something to keep your mind busy in your swing. It says to speak in your head when the club reaches the top of the swing, the impact, and when it's completed.

I am not great at the completed part, but trying to think about it is enough to stop me from trying to screw with my swing for now haha!

I like that idea. I've also heard that just keeping one simple swing though (like "shift my weight") can help. I've actually started humming to myself...seems to help clear my mind and keep my rythm

In the same situation as a lot of players here, just can't break 80 either !! I might have to rename this tread to "Can't break 81!!" :) Have shot 81 9 times this season. Just the odd blow out hole that kills the round. Last couple of rounds my ball striking has been 10 times better so I can feel a sub 80 is around the corner. Just have to keep working on the game. Most of my problem is mental as when I have a chance I get too excited and blow it :)
Gotta love this game !!

I'm with you rmtc. I did break it several times this, the first was early on, but now just hang up around mid to low 80's.

You'll get there soon.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I'm with you rmtc. I did break it several times this, the first was early on, but now just hang up around mid to low 80's.

You'll get there soon.

I hear ya DooDue! I have been in the 70's several times however this year has been infrequent to say the least. I went through a major swing change which does not come easy and trusting it is the hard part. I shot 84 today with five 3-putts so the ball striking was good enough to break 80, however unfortunately you have to swing the flat stick good as well......

Funny how that sounds like me up until the last week or so Gray. Guess we all go through cycles, but started 3 putting two or three times a round, but I think I made it past that.

After my last 4 rounds being 80,80,80,80. I finally broke it again. 78 today.

After my last 4 rounds being 80,80,80,80. I finally broke it again. 78 today.

Well done Dent, great shooting and the consistency must be helping the confidence :)

Back