Trying to Break 80 Club

After my last 4 rounds being 80,80,80,80. I finally broke it again. 78 today.

yeah, congrats dent. i know you've been putting a lot of time in to get back where you want to be. i'll take shooting an 80 all the time though.

yeah, congrats dent. i know you've been putting a lot of time in to get back where you want to be. i'll take shooting an 80 all the time though.

Thanks TC, yes I have been putting in alot of time, but still not quite where I wanted to be at the end of the year.

I suppose I should post my first 80's break here as well:

GolfScorecard09022010.jpg

I broke 80 at the start of spring. A 72. But it was only nine holes :-(

Nice score Sacul!

Finally broke 80 again. Went to Ireland last week and on a course I've never played before I managed a 6 over 77 and I felt I left a lot of shots out there by putting like I was trying my hardest not to hit the hole. Followed it up with a 79 the next day, which marks the first time I've managed two sub-80 rounds in a row. Am fully expecting to go back home and shoot 90 but at least it happened!

I broke 80 twice this year, 79's. I hit a 6 foot, down hill left to right for my first one ever. Awesome feeling. Now looking for a hole in one:act-up:

I wouldn't be surprised to see my daughter break 80 before the year is over. She just needs to make a few putts as her ball striking has been great for the last month or so. Too bad she has to go to school every day. She gets out early today and we're off to the course. Who knows? Maybe today is the day.

Maybe I'll break 80, too.

Kevin

I wouldn't be surprised to see my daughter break 80 before the year is over. She just needs to make a few putts as her ball striking has been great for the last month or so. Too bad she has to go to school every day. She gets out early today and we're off to the course. Who knows? Maybe today is the day.

Maybe I'll break 80, too.

Kevin

Why didn't I have a father like this when I was growing up?

I hope to break 80 within 5 years. But I'm thinking about finally going back for an MBA. That and working will cut out a lot of time I have for golf.

I'm in for this club as well. After swing changes this year the best I've been able to manage is an 84. This was with 2 lost balls and 2 triples. I need more consistency.

After 10 years, hundreds of rounds, lessons, etc...I finally did it.

I'd been close a few times; shot 80 more times than I'd care to admit.

Anyway I started bogey/double so things weren't looking promising. A few holes later I birdie, then another...my nine was out at 38.

My friends typically leave me alone the few times this happens, like a pitcher throwing a no-hitter into the 5th but I just said, "hey, lets not pretend its not there. I need a 41 to break it, but I'll probably triple the 10th".

I go par-par-par on 10/11/12...so far so good. Bogey 13 with a putt hanging over the edge. Par, par, bogie, par 14/15/16/17...

18 was a par five. Driver, 2-hybrid leaving me in the greenside bunker. Missed a 12 foot putt for a 75 (burned the edge). At that point everything came out (didn't cry though...almost). I had a 6-inch putt for a 76 and couldn't hit it. I kept laughing at my foursome, and finally missed it. I missed a 6 inch putt. Immediately I reached over and tapped it in for 77.

Just wanted to thank this forum, since a few months back I kinda gave up the dream. I can't find the posts but a few folks encouraged me to not give up.

Anyway, thanks. Big props to amollerud for helping me with my swing awhile back.

Guys/Gals...it is possible. I wish the best of luck to all of you trying to break your number...it'll happen.

I'm in.

I've shot 83, 84 in tournaments on the hardest course I play. I've broken 80 twice on our 5000 yard executive course (77, 79) so I'm trying to do it on the big daddy. I'm getting to where I can string together 4 or 5 pars and then BOOM! Blowup hole. For me it's about course management and reducing the severity of my misses.

I set out the beginning of the season a few goals, more fairways, eliminate the Double's and break 80 4 times. well the fairway thing on oob golf it says I hit the fairway 69% of the time, the double thing well that still get's me, and breaking 80 , well it's been 3 times this summer , 78, 79, and 74. my goals for the '10 season here have gone pretty well.

This is the thread I was looking for when I posted about breaking 80, did a search & came up blank.

Good job & congrats Cmoors!!

Well I was able to back it up again today differ course but same score (79)

I broke 80 for the first time 3 weeks ago, I shot a 77 on a par 72, from the back tees. My previous best score was an 84, which I shot multiple times (4-5). I got pretty close a few days later and shot an 81, but then I had a few rounds in the high 80's. I can't wait to break 80 again, I feel like my game is getting much more consistent, and I can't wait to be playing even better. Shame the season is ending, although I'm in southern California, so I can golf year round, but with the limited daylight, makes it a lot tougher to find the time.

I've broken 80 3 times. Two 79's and one 77. One of the 79's I ended birdie-birdie which was awesome and my first ever back to back birdies. I've also blown a handful of chances to shoot in the 70's including one time when I went out in 36 and came shot 44 coming in.

I've learned my lesson to not count my score, it always seems to get to me when I'm playing well! haha

Well, a little bit of a stolen idea, but what about for all the guys trying to break 80? If you are just struggling and haven't shot in the 70's in a while or even if you have never done it before and you are almost there post your progress and let us know how you're doing!

I myself am having probably one of my worst years of golf. I have only broken 80 twice this year. I'm just trying to get my stuff together and I should see scores dropping soon. I just HAVE to stay away from those double bogies.

Learning to break 80 consistently demands a high skill level. To achieve that standard most golfers have had lessons and have bought the best equipment, but still something holds them back from being able to lower their scores to the magic number. Try to incorporate the following tips into your game to break 80 consistently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to vet in the consistently breaking 80 club. My next steps 1)lessons 2)new clubs. I like all of the comments made here.

Trying To Break 80 club thread....

Trying To Break 80 club thread....

Inspired by SeeMoreGuy's thread on the breaking 90 club, I had the idea to do the same with the breaking 80 group. I broke 90 and 85 for the first times this past season. Now my goal is to break 80. Haven't been able to play this year and won't til probably April, but it's one of my goals for the season. I shot 82 several times
this summer, 83 once, and 81 twice. But that's it......goodluck to all of those in this club with me. Btw, who else IS with me in this club?

BulldogsGolf :D

Merged.

Back