Trying to Break 80 Club

Don't keep your own score. First time i broke 80 I had my playing partner keep my score just told him what i got on each hole shot 77. I used to jinx myself with 4-5 holes to go thinking "if i par in I break 80".

Don't keep your own score. First time i broke 80 I had my playing partner keep my score just told him what i got on each hole shot 77. I used to jinx myself with 4-5 holes to go thinking "if i par in I break 80".

Always do that and it rarely works, some of my lowest scores I've known the whole way what I need but I wanna stop doing that, it's killing me right off the first tee.

Always do that and it rarely works, some of my lowest scores I've known the whole way what I need but I wanna stop doing that, it's killing me right off the first tee.

I do keep my own score, but I don't add it up until the end. I will know that I am doing OK but since I don't just get pars and bogeys I am never exactly sure where I stand scorewise. Last time I checked my score after 9 was in Florida with Spank and JB. I think I shot 42 or 43. Dumb move. I shot 100 for the round.

I do keep my own score, but I don't add it up until the end. I will know that I am doing OK but since I don't just get pars and bogeys I am never exactly sure where I stand scorewise. Last time I checked my score after 9 was in Florida with Spank and JB. I think I shot 42 or 43. Dumb move. I shot 100 for the round.

I think that should be one of my goals this year.

Digging this back up as I WILL achieve it this year, I will!

Shot 86/86/87/43 so far this year shaking off the winter's rust. Every single round has had a triple and at least one double, If I can cut the blowup holes and reign my putting back in I truly think I can do it. The new equipment will play a negative role for a while when I'm figuring out my gaps again, but hey, the hunt is part of the fun!

My goal is to break 80 by the end of 2011.

Have shot under 80 before, but not in 2011. Have been close, but I am really trying to keep it under 80 this year to make a colligate golf team.

I think I've finally put my swing back together and will able to break 80 in the next few months. It's so close to being on the money.. Unfortunately, I still have trouble trusting my ability to hit the shot. I think I'll get there soon with some more experience

I broke 80 today (79) and Dent was kind enough to invite me to join this thread. Thanks Dent! :)

I broke 80 today (79) and Dent was kind enough to invite me to join this thread. Thanks Dent! :)

WAY TO GO SEAN! Fan-freaking-tastic to be sure. I'm crazy happy for you, thats a tremendous milestone, cannot wait for my time to come.

I was finally doing it. I was shooting 83,82, 83, 82, and then all of a sudden BOOM 77, 78,77 and then BOOM sprained my shoulder playing company softball. By the time I finished physical therapy, the winter had rolled around. Got one round so far this year and it was all about knocking off the rust and getting my mind convinced that I had full range of motion back in my right arm. Managed to shoot 86 so I was pretty with that. Hopefully I can find my swing that I had before the shoulder injury.

I managed to break 80 twice last year (77 & 79) but it was a par 70 course that is really pretty easy (69.3/114) so my goal is to do it on a par 72 or higher rated course. Played my inaugural round of the season with new sticks, wedge and putter, winds and cold rain and shot an 88 -- a ways to go.

This is my club. I'll get there this year. I have come close twice this year shooting 82 and 83 and I just have a feeling that I know its coming. I'll need it for the summer

I will do this by mid summer and be in the high 70's by golf season end! I'm motivated and ready for the challenge...

I have played 9 holes on two separate days so far this year for a total of 82. Very happy for my first 18 hole total! Anyway, I know it all needs to be played in the same day, but I only broke 80 twice last year and it was the very first time I did it. This year I am focusing on improving my short game, because if I could chip a little closer and give myself easier putts I could easily knock off 5-6 strokes, and I am constantly shooting low 80's. But an 82 for a combined first 18 holes of the year is very promising! I finally got some of my beloved Penta balls in the mail today too, which is my ball of choice. I was playing with a Nike Tour D for these first couple 9-hole rounds until I got these in the mail.

I am going to do it this year!!

Exactly, this year has but one purpose for me. To break 80. I dont care that much about hcp, but i want to get under 80 strokes!!

But to do so, i really need to start practicing my close game more. Those 50> yard shots tend to mess up my game.

I want to bump and join this club...80 is proving to be a tough nut to crack! I broke into the 70's twice last year, shooting 78 and a 79 but this year I'm having trouble breaking the barrier. I shot an 81 on one of my first rounds out and have since posted an 82 and an 84.

Seems to me that my short game and putting are really holding me back. I've just picked up a Skilz Accellerator Pro Putting Mat and am hoping I can avoid those dreaded 3 putts! The 84 I shot was just this past sunday and I had 38, yes 38 putts! Drives me crazy, but gotta keep working at it. I'm only hitting less than 10 GIR and my scrambling has been suspect so far this year. I'm going to try and put a more spinny ball in play this week/weekend and see if that helps that aspect.

I am hitting less thatn 50% of the fairways, but that number is a bit misleading and I'm really only missing fairways by a few yards and not getting myself into too much trouble off the tee. I've always been a pretty long hitter and would always tried to get as close to the green as possible by hitting driver. This year I'm going about my course management much differently, hitting driver much less than I did last year. I mixed up my bag and took out a wedge and added a 2 hybrid to give me more options off the tee. I'm trying to leave myself a full scoring iron (8-PW) into most greens.

I realize that I need to spend way way way more time practicing around the greens and am in search of a practice facility with a good short game area. I'm hoping my putting comes back around and I can break 80 a bit earlier this season. I've also started playing competatively in the CT Amateur Tour and think that will help me stay focused for all 18 holes and avoid those blow-ups on 12-13-14 in the middle of the round.

Good luck to everyone trying to break 80!

This is my year also. I shot 78 once, on a par 70. I've shot 80 a number of times on par 72s, so my record is 8 over for a round. With a bunch of new equipment, and a better attitude...

My goal this year is to break 80. My best round was an 84 and that was some time ago. I am trying to put more in to my practice sessions and hoping the practice pays off. If this weather starts to cooperate it will help out too.

My new season has started, and my goal is to break 80 by the time I go to Florida (mid July). I shot 88 and 89 first two times out, but was shooting 82 consistent at last years end. Can't wait, playing tomorrow and Friday. Good luck to all this season!

I'm going to stick my name in here and hope it will inspire me to do the same.

Shot an 83 last time out on a par 72 course that I had never played before.

I've made it twice in each of the last two years, but not yet this year so far. My lowest of the two years was 76 and I know its just a matter of time getting back there. Shot an 81 last weekend, come on warm dry weather.

I am going to join this club. My goal this year is to get back into the 70's. I used to break 80 fairly frequently

Since I started back after a 15 year break I haven't managed it, but I plan on trying my hardest to get back to a similar level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

I've made it twice in each of the last two years, but not yet this year so far. My lowest of the two years was 76 and I know its just a matter of time getting back there. Shot an 81 last weekend, come on warm dry weather.

I cant wait for some warmer weather to get that ball moving through the air a little easier haha. It makes practicing a little bit harder in the cold weather. The putting green got pretty frigid as the sun was setting on me yesterday.

Back