Trying to Break 80 Club

I have no idea how you and Dent can hold HCs so low and yet you only get to golf 6 months out of the year. Boggles my mind.

Im lookin to break 80 tomorrow in my first official game of the year. The clubs are working great and im feeling like i can do it even without my wedges (getting regripped and extensions put in).

Good luck with the new hairdo:cool:

I have no idea how you and Dent can hold HCs so low and yet you only get to golf 6 months out of the year. Boggles my mind.

Rapid improvement. My handicap fluctuated quite a bit last year reaching as high as a 7.9 until I just played a good stretch of golf and brought it down again. As well, I hardly shoot under 80.

I'm at the point right now where I still have one thing on any given day that prevents from from breaking 80. Obviously, this happens to just about everyone but it's very frustrating. I'll have a day, or even a few holes, where my driver and irons are great but my putting is terrible. And then it'll flip-flop! Frustrating but I know it'll all come together in the future.

OK, all you guys with handicaps under 10, get over to the Trying To Break 70 thread :wavey::rotfl:

OK, all you guys with handicaps under 10, get over to the Trying To Break 70 thread :wavey::rotfl:

Now that's funny right there. :D

I shot 86 on Saturday with 36 putts ouch! and 85 two weeks ago with 32 putts! I know what I need to work on but I am still waiting for the greens to get into good shape this year. I've never broken 80, it was my goal last year and still is this year. I feel like I am getting close, if I can get back the confidence in my putting I think I will do it!

Im in. A 13 handicap that broke 80 once when out of the blue i shot a 40/36 haven't touched it since. Too inconsistent off the tees and dont have the touch with the woods ann long irons to get close for the birdie attempts. Just too inconsistent..this weekend i shot a 50/37 with boggies on 10 and 11. Somebody explain that to me.

Im in. A 13 handicap that broke 80 once when out of the blue i shot a 40/36 haven't touched it since. Too inconsistent off the tees and dont have the touch with the woods ann long irons to get close for the birdie attempts. Just too inconsistent..this weekend i shot a 50/37 with boggies on 10 and 11. Somebody explain that to me.

I find that if i don't warm up a little before a round that my front 9 is much worse than my back nine. I played 27 once where the 1st front nine was a 52 back nine was a 46 and 2nd time on the front nine I shot a 40, just didn't have time to warm up at all before the first nine.

Shot a front 9 of 38 this past Friday and left the turn thinking, "I got this....".
Long story short, 46 on the back 9 for an 84 total. My hubris was my downfall.....as the golf gods mocked me....

I'm finding breaking 80 is about as hard as quiting smoking was a number of years ago. I'm right there, I want to really bad, but I kept lighting up!!! :nono:

I played a makeshift 16 holes this weekend (1-13, #5 again, then 17-18) and scored pretty well. I shot 41 on the front 9 with only 1 3-putt on the first hole and a double bogey after an errant tee shot on #6 which is the hardest hole on the course. I had no warm up time and thought the greens would be slower with all the rain which is why I 3-putted number one. I really felt good on 11 and 12, sticking both approach shots to within 10 feet and converting one of them for birdie.

I playing in an informal 9 hole league tonight and hope to break into the 30's for 9 holes for the first time this year. My irons are really starting to click and I think if I can keep it in play off the tee I might have a shot at breaking 80 soon. I'm playing in my amateur league this weekend and am gunning for 79!

I managed to break 80 3 times (79,77,79) but it was on a relatively short and easy Par 70 course. It was also in 2009 and I've gotten worse since then due to lack of playing, lack of practice and equipment confusion. I'm going to playing regularly at a Par 71, 126 slope course this summer and my goal is to break 80 on that course -- a couple of times. Since I shot a recently shot 56 on the only 9 that I've played there, that seems a substantial goal!

I'm finding breaking 80 is about as hard as quiting smoking was a number of years ago. I'm right there, I want to really bad, but I kept lighting up!!! :nono:

Story of my life :dohanim:

Story of my life :dohanim:

Good luck out there, hope its going better for you than me at this point. 44/39 yesterday after a 40/43 the last time out, lol. I know its there for the taking, I just can't find the right triggers.

Shot a front 9 of 38 this past Friday and left the turn thinking, "I got this....".
Long story short, 46 on the back 9 for an 84 total. My hubris was my downfall.....as the golf gods mocked me....

If I'm having a great front 9 like that, I hate to know the score. Totally gets in my head on the back 9 and I usually have the same results as you.

Managed it once this year on a short par 70 course with a 77 after being 3 over after 14, then followed it up with a 90 something on a slightly harder par 72. When i eventually do it against a par of 72 then ill finally feel that ive broken 80 properly!

Step in the wrong direction on Friday, rough 93 at The Bull, tough course, even tougher when its slow play out there and you're by yourself with too much time to think...

Step in the wrong direction on Friday, rough 93 at The Bull, tough course, even tougher when its slow play out there and you're by yourself with too much time to think...

+1 there buddy. I shot a 92 over the weekend, definitely not the outcome I was hoping for. Slow play definitely didnt help, but my game was just out of sorts all day. Back to the practice range for me.

I'm going over to the Trying To Break 90 thread now :violin:

Posted a 77 yesterday. My goal was to break into the 70's this year and I'm off to a flying start!

Posted a 77 yesterday. My goal was to break into the 70's this year and I'm off to a flying start!

sweet dude! How much of that do you attribute to the change in irons?

sweet dude! How much of that do you attribute to the change in irons?

If I'm being honest I would have to say just a little. Hit a few nice shots with the irons and they certainly didn't hurt me. But my scoring yesterday had everything to do with putting. I hit 2 fairways the entire day and just 6 GIR's. My putting was phenomenal with only 26 putts and my chipping was great as well.

If I'm being honest I would have to say just a little. Hit a few nice shots with the irons and they certainly didn't hurt me. But my scoring yesterday had everything to do with putting. I hit 2 fairways the entire day and just 6 GIR's. My putting was phenomenal with only 26 putts and my chipping was great as well.

Yeah, when your chipping is great, great putting usually follows. The short game is one aspect I need to improve on, along with driving.

Back