Trying to Break 80 Club

Shot the best round of my life today with a 76 on a relatively easy par 70 course. From the Gold tees I played, 67.8 rating, 115 slope.

I gave up a few putts and bad shots from the fringe, but other than that, I'm damn pleased. My previous best was 89 about a year ago. Since then I've done a ton of practicing and am shocked I broke 80. Started thinking about the card on 17 and again on 18 where I 3 putted. Could been even on the back and shot a 74! Oh well.

Hopefully soon I can translate the day's success to a "real" course asap.

2mxNF.jpg

My first round of the year last week I posted an 81 thinking I had no chance of breaking 80 going into the last hole. I still played it like I was trying to score.. a scored a double with some unlucky bounces. Par would have broken 80.

Shot the best round of my life today with a 76 on a relatively easy par 70 course. From the Gold tees I played, 67.8 rating, 115 slope.

I gave up a few putts and bad shots from the fringe, but other than that, I'm damn pleased. My previous best was 89 about a year ago. Since then I've done a ton of practicing and am shocked I broke 80. Started thinking about the card on 17 and again on 18 where I 3 putted. Could been even on the back and shot a 74! Oh well.

Hopefully soon I can translate the day's success to a "real" course asap.

2mxNF.jpg

Awesome Congrats! :banana:

Have shot a best round of 81 twice in my life, once recently, and have rounds of 82, 83, & a couple 84s already this season. (also have a couple in the 90s and upper 80s). Working with a GolfTEC pro to get more consistent (it's working) and dedicated to break 80 this season or die trying! We're ALMOST to the point that the 5" between my ears is the difference as the swing is progressing nicely. One of the biggest changes from the first time I was a mid-80s player to now (outside of the 9 years in between) is that I was scrambling constantly at the time and occasionally got lucky. Now, I'll shot 82 or 83 and be upset about the 5+ strokes I KNOW I gave away. Seriously, if a 79 doesn't happen this season, I'm done! :)

Shot 38 (+2) yesterday in a quick 9 hole round after work! If only daylight hung around, I may have been posting that the quest to break 80 was FINALLY complete!

Finally entered this club this season with a 78 today. Shot 42/36

You've been in this club for some time Dent, you need to go spend more time in the trying to break 70 club. For me, I think with my new putter I will be in this club soon. I shot a really bad 86 the other day, and I can think of 7 shots that were just terrible and never should have happened.

You've been in this club for some time Dent, you need to go spend more time in the trying to break 70 club. For me, I think with my new putter I will be in this club soon. I shot a really bad 86 the other day, and I can think of 7 shots that were just terrible and never should have happened.

This is the season to do it breeze. How bout you do it at the outing and show everyone what you're all about.

This is the season to do it breeze. How bout you do it at the outing and show everyone what you're all about.

Thats a good plan Dent, who wouldn't want to say they broke 80 for the first time on the Champion course.

I find that if i don't warm up a little before a round that my front 9 is much worse than my back nine. I played 27 once where the 1st front nine was a 52 back nine was a 46 and 2nd time on the front nine I shot a 40, just didn't have time to warm up at all before the first nine.

interesting - my best round ever was a replay. granted it was the end of the season and i was in top form. i shot a 90 on the first 18, and it was about 1:30 in the afternoon, i said hell - swing feels real good right now - lets get anohter 18 in.

fired an 80..

i wish i had paid more attention to what i did. i was killing the ball off the tee - (now dealing with a ugly hook) and my 7-9 irons i was hitting greens. Now im not getting any decent distance off the tee - so im left with hybrids and 5-6 irons in... which are not my straightest clubs... Granted this is the wettest, rainiest spring most people around here remember...

i try to arrive an hour before my tee time - to warm up the driver, the long irons, the short irons, the wedges (in that order) then go chip and putt until its time to go. But i still dont shoot as well as if i actually played the holes... i think im going to invent a system at the range - where i hit driver.. .then an iron.. then a wedge... pretend im on the course... mix it up maybe.

Step back in the right direction today with an 83 at Morningstar golf course, 41 front 17 putts 42 back with 12 putts. Got slow played on the back but I was really feeling it! Switched to the Penta TP golfball for this round and LOVED it, probably going to switch full time.

Shot a 79 today, 41 Out and 38 Back. Well pleased with my game today. Could have been better as I had 3 3 putts, but I am not complaining. Haven't played as well as this since I started playing again.

I think the key was keeping my swing under control and playing the percentage shots, only used my driver once, the rest of my tee shots were done with my mashie

I am officially in this club! shot a 39 on the front with an awesome 50 on the back. I have been on the cusp several times, but I could not finish out the round. Just call me Tiger, Westwood or Rory.

WTG Seth, proud of you.

I am officially in this club! shot a 39 on the front with an awesome 50 on the back. I have been on the cusp several times, but I could not finish out the round. Just call me Tiger, Westwood or Rory.

Great round buddy! But I think you hit the wrong forum! This is break 80 hehe.

I am soooo close to breaking 80. If I use my 3w instead of my driver, I might have a chance!

I am soooo close to breaking 80. If I use my 3w instead of my driver, I might have a chance!

I'm right there as well Gus. I just need to put a couple of good 9's together. I shot a 40 and a 42, but of course it was split by an awesome 48! I'm learning how to manage my home course much better and am hitting driver on the par 5's and only 2 or 3 of the par 4's depending on the wind. I was right on track last night, I made par on #9-15 but was quickly reminded how short lived success can be, losing my tee shots OB on 16 and 18.

My biggest issues right now are accuracy off the tee and putting. I'm struggling a little bit with my iron distances since the lofts are a degree weaker on the VR Pro-Combos compared to my old CG7 Tours, but for the most part, my irons are going exactly where I'm aiming them.

Great round buddy! But I think you hit the wrong forum! This is break 80 hehe.

no, I have the right place. I was posting about my disappointment. Had a mid 70's round going and then just screwed it up. Breaking 80 has been my goal for a few months now. Breaking 90 has not been a problem for a while.

I'm right there as well Gus. I just need to put a couple of good 9's together. I shot a 40 and a 42, but of course it was split by an awesome 48! I'm learning how to manage my home course much better and am hitting driver on the par 5's and only 2 or 3 of the par 4's depending on the wind. I was right on track last night, I made par on #9-15 but was quickly reminded how short lived success can be, losing my tee shots OB on 16 and 18.

My biggest issues right now are accuracy off the tee and putting. I'm struggling a little bit with my iron distances since the lofts are a degree weaker on the VR Pro-Combos compared to my old CG7 Tours, but for the most part, my irons are going exactly where I'm aiming them.

The back 9 is my curse. I just can never seem to shut the door when I have a good round going.

The back 9 is my curse. I just can never seem to shut the door when I have a good round going.

I'm the exact opposite. I cant seem to get in a groove until the 6th or 7th hole and by that time I've already put up a bunch of bogeys. I did have a problem closing out the back 9 last night, but I was kind of rushing to get the last 3 holes in before it got too dark.

I'm the exact opposite. I cant seem to get in a groove until the 6th or 7th hole and by that time I've already put up a bunch of bogeys. I did have a problem closing out the back 9 last night, but I was kind of rushing to get the last 3 holes in before it got too dark.

Ugh, I hate starting out bad. When you start out good, at least you have the delusion that you are going to have a shot at shooting a 79 or better.

After finally having an "aha moment" with my swing changes a couple of days ago, I intend to break 80 this year for the first time.

After finally having an "aha moment" with my swing changes a couple of days ago, I intend to break 80 this year for the first time.

Don't you just love those? Are you going to a pro or doing swing changes on your own?

Here is another goal of mine. I am trying to break 80 before I hit the 2 year mark. Come June, I will have been playing golf for 2 years. Only a few more chances.

I think I had one of those with my driver a few days ago. Went back last night to see if it stuck and it seemed to have. Hope I can take it to the course.

Back