Trying to Break 80 Club

back to back rounds in the 70s. putter has been the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was not planning to post in this thread but the golf gods smiled upon me yesterday with my first ever 79!! I play the vast majority of my rounds scramble style with my son who has been golfing about a year. I love that format with my son because it takes the stress out of golf for us. The problem is that I have only recorded my score a handful of times this year and they were all in the nineties.

I have been struggling this year and finally decided to get some lessons. I thought a lesson or two would find my problem and I would turn it around quickly but it does not work like that for me anyway. When my coach changes something I have to groove it during the week until it feels somewhat normal. I have a weekly lesson on Saturday afternoons and have committed to this until December. I also go to the driving range every Sunday morning and try to play at least once a week.

Yesterday I decided to check Golfnow for a hot deal and one popped up for Cypress Lakes, a fairly difficult course with lateral water hazards on about half the holes and fast greens. I had never played here before and did not start the round very strong. I was +4 after five holes then got pars on the last four holes of the front. I started the back with a long birdie putt from the fringe and carded a second bird a few holes later. A double bogie and a wet tee shot on eighteen was not enough to derail me and I held on for my first ever sub 80 round!!

I counted my score on the cart on the way to the car and came up with 80. I was quite pleased with that score and even sent MikeG_74 a text bragging about shooting an 80. When I got home and went over the scorecard I realized I had actually broke 80 for the first time ever. It is a great feeling when your hard work pays off!!

I was not planning to post in this thread but the golf gods smiled upon me yesterday with my first ever 79!! I play the vast majority of my rounds scramble style with my son who has been golfing about a year. I love that format with my son because it takes the stress out of golf for us. The problem is that I have only recorded my score a handful of times this year and they were all in the nineties.

I have been struggling this year and finally decided to get some lessons. I thought a lesson or two would find my problem and I would turn it around quickly but it does not work like that for me anyway. When my coach changes something I have to groove it during the week until it feels somewhat normal. I have a weekly lesson on Saturday afternoons and have committed to this until December. I also go to the driving range every Sunday morning and try to play at least once a week.

Yesterday I decided to check Golfnow for a hot deal and one popped up for Cypress Lakes, a fairly difficult course with lateral water hazards on about half the holes and fast greens. I had never played here before and did not start the round very strong. I was +4 after five holes then got pars on the last four holes of the front. I started the back with a long birdie putt from the fringe and carded a second bird a few holes later. A double bogie and a wet tee shot on eighteen was not enough to derail me and I held on for my first ever sub 80 round!!

I counted my score on the cart on the way to the car and came up with 80. I was quite pleased with that score and even sent MikeG_74 a text bragging about shooting an 80. When I got home and went over the scorecard I realized I had actually broke 80 for the first time ever. It is a great feeling when your hard work pays off!!

Congrats!!

Back to back in the 70's with a 76 last night. 3 birdies, 6 bogeys and a double. The double was stupid because it was just bad course management and going for a shot after telling myself to just layup into the fairway. The nice thing about this round was that I started making birdies and I was getting pretty good looks throughout the entire round which definitely helps the confidence.

39/41 yesterday, with the 39 on the more difficult side. Fatigue set in on the back as we started at 3:00 and had put in a full, physical, day working in the garden and yard. Still 2 six foot misses in the last 3 holes from breaking into the 70's. Still quite pleased and the best round this year.

Rock
Go Big Orange

Shot a 77 yesterday at Stonebridge. North Carolina.

Even though my putting was terrible.

But excited non the less.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I’m getting close. For a while now my rounds have been mid to low 80’s. My irons have been my Achilles heel lately so now that I feel like I have a groove for my irons, I’m expecting a sub 80 round real soon.

Well for the most part I'm pleased with my game this year. I really struggled with getting it together. I have gone from scoring in the low 100s two scoring in the low 80s with a couple of high 70 rounds. I've gone from posting in the trying to break 90 thread to the trying to break 85 thread.

I'm now setting my sights on breaking 80! It almost sounds absurd to me, even though I've done it a couple of times it is very rare. A couple of times that I have scored below 40 it has been in League Play where we are allowed to roll our ball in the Fairway. I'm getting ready to play in a Skins game at my golf course this morning and the rule they have is being able to roll the ball in the Fairway. So that doesn't really count as a true score.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Shot a 38 front nine

And a 36 back

At Highland Creek Golf Course

Charlotte, North Carolina

Best Round of the Year.

Thanks to

@j.b.cobbiii
@pumbaa
For making this THP outing Great.

With Peace and Love
From the SoCal Crew

@johan185
69a19bf49a086b5d93eb3cd17cd9a92f.jpg

Been a while posting.
Game been a bit off recently but feel like it’s coming back together.
Managed back to back 83’s this weekend which I was really pleased with.
Could have easily broke 80 both times with a bit more care and attention on a few shots. Few too many 3 putts have been the biggest issue.
It’s coming again though.

Since finding Golf SideKick on YouTube, and adapting their advice, my golf game has been going through a Renaissance.

I Recently traveled to North Carolina. Where I had the opportunity to play Stonebridge, in Monroe, and Highland Creek, in Charlotte. These were two different golf courses that I had never played before.

I shot a very decent score of

84, 82, 79, 77, 76, 75, and 74.

From the Blues, or Members Adult Male Tee's.

Mind you that I had never broken 90's on a regular basis. And I had only posted a score below the 80's on one prior occasion on a 18 hole Par 72 course. And this was from the White Tee's.

As you can tell there was a period of adjustment. The irons were traveling one full club length further with the change in elevation and air density in North Carolina versus my home courses conditions in California at sea level.

And the best part was the First Hole in One on 7/19/2019.

Golf SideKick is Golfing Gold. The best course management tutorials for amateurs on the Web.

Johan
d1916c7407527e6bd966e434c40778c2.jpg
9a97a459c656b1dac29c1cda93012d5c.jpg
c6d642b672a91d5e368d548165e09f09.jpg

Was cruising to a 77 this weekend and shat the bed on 18 oh well golf.

Posted a 75 last night. Back to back rounds in the 70's with 4 out of the last 5 under 80. Hoping to keep it going as I have a team match play championship match Sunday, then heading on a trip for the weekend.

78 this morning on Dawn Watch.

As the Misty gently covered the land.
5091ef8f3d27aba8ea246c44ffa991ad.jpg
f35a7d809ded17dd93b704c9598f0c57.jpg

Par 70 course today, but I managed a 37-40 for a round of 77

781b729deb69bcffd7efd4db2f04b086.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

40/39=79 I think it was the hardest 79 I have ever shot, just seemed like nothing was coming east at all. Fun round though.

45/41 for 86 this morning.

40/38=78 today. Just seemed fun and easy today, haven't been that relaxed playing in awhile. 11/14 FIR, 9/18GIR and 26 putts today.

76 yesterday - 37-38 with 3 birdies and a double. I also lipped out 4 putts. 2 for birdie and 2 for par.

Getting back in the groove... haven't put a full 18 holes together yet but I'm in the ballpark.

My last several 9 hole scores in league: 37, 42, 40, 39.

Last several 18 hole rounds: 41/49-90, 43/50-93, 43/46-89, 44/48-92, 41/51-92.

ALL of those 18 hole rounds had one thing in common: opened well, finished poorly. I need to work on flexibility, stamina and grind-ability... can't give up on the back 9.

Managed to dip back under 80 this last weekend.

Played 2 rounds on Saturday with an 80 and an 85 then on Sunday in only my second ever competition it all clicked with a 78.

Played so well. Had at least 5 good looks at birdie too which weren’t converted so could have been much lower. Won the comp with 43 Stableford points and had my handicap cut to a best ever 10. All in all, a good weekend.
Plus £50 prize money for winning the comp. ��

Managed to dip back under 80 this last weekend.

Played 2 rounds on Saturday with an 80 and an 85 then on Sunday in only my second ever competition it all clicked with a 78.

Played so well. Had at least 5 good looks at birdie too which weren’t converted so could have been much lower. Won the comp with 43 Stableford points and had my handicap cut to a best ever 10. All in all, a good weekend.
Plus £50 prize money for winning the comp. ��
Nice work!

Since I shot 79 last month, I’ve had six or seven rounds between 82 and 92. Saturday I shot 43-44. Sunday I opened with 37 and after a bad par on par 5 10th, I got on the bogey train. I kept lipping out par putts. I finally made my second par on the back on no 16. Determined not to blow a 37, I hit a good drive on 17 and put it on the green about 35 feet then had a 3 putt. Sitting on 18 needing par or better I again buckled down and hit a good drive in the fairway leaving a five iron to a center pin which I yanked left, of course. I’m in the rough, on an upslope, the green running away from me and there’s a patch of Velcro that I need to navigate. I hit a little pitch and run with a 54 and almost holed it. 6” inches for par and 37-42 by the skin of my teeth!

I'm getting closer. Last few rounds have been 83 and 82. Both rounds started out very promising, going even through the first 4-5 holes before getting on the bogey train and then accelerating that train on the back nine. My 82 round started with a 38 on the front (par 35) before shooting an ugly 44 on the back. The funny part is my driving was not good on the front, but my approaches were excellent. On the back, my drives came alive and I was stripping it, only to have my approach shots fall apart. I think I let some tension creep in to my arms, letting myself think of the possible good score if I just played conservatively. That never ends up good.

Still, I'm hopeful that I'll post a 79 here soon, as my swing feels as good as it ever has right now.

Double bogey on 18 yesterday to shoot 81...and nothing worse than a bogey until then! :bulgy-eyes:

Back