Trying to Break 80 Club

Following now. I got my swing back so now the next goal is to shoot sub 80 rounds again. It’s been a long time.

shanewu;n8875070 said:
Double bogey on 18 yesterday to shoot 81...and nothing worse than a bogey until then! :bulgy-eyes:

That hurts.

Had the round of my life going at a hard course today. 37 on the front. Coming into 17 all I needed was a couple of pars to score 77. Never broken 80. Tripled 17 and doubled 18 for an 82. FFS. Golf is hard.

shanewu;n8875070 said:
Double bogey on 18 yesterday to shoot 81...and nothing worse than a bogey until then! :bulgy-eyes:

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I needed to par the last three holes to break 80. I went bogey, bogey, double to end it. :(

Shot 40/46 today. I was still hitting it pretty good on the back but had a couple blow up holes. Shot 86 on Sunday and Monday so my scores are trending lower.

Snickerdog;n8875096 said:
That hurts.
It stung a bit but I decided I didn't care about my score that day so that helped me cope. LOL

campilobaxter;n8875132 said:
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I needed to par the last three holes to break 80. I went bogey, bogey, double to end it. :(
I've shot 80, 81, 80, 81 in 4 of my last 10 or so rounds I think and I think I screwed up the last hole or two in all of them! hahaha

shanewu;n8876035 said:
It stung a bit but I decided I didn't care about my score that day so that helped me cope. LOL

I've shot 80, 81, 80, 81 in 4 of my last 10 or so rounds I think and I think I screwed up the last hole or two in all of them! hahaha

Guess I need to get down again so you can pound me and break 80

Snickerdog;n8876906 said:
Guess I need to get down again so you can pound me and break 80

Definitely!!! You're my good luck charm!

85 today! Played right after my lesson and had some of the best drives I have ever had.

Doubleb21;n8878982 said:
85 today! Played right after my lesson and had some of the best drives I have ever had.

keep it up Brian. The enthusiasm you are brining each time you tee it up is infectious and great to see.

I shot an 85 today. Unfortunately I had 8 penalty shots. If I can knock those down, I will be back under 80 consistently.

wubears71;n8879365 said:
I shot an 85 today. Unfortunately I had 8 penalty shots. If I can knock those down, I will be back under 80 consistently.

Ya. That should help. 8 on an 85 card? Yowza. Tell me a couple of those were because of those ******** in front of you.

OldandStiff;n8879379 said:
Ya. That should help. 8 on an 85 card? Yowza. Tell me a couple of those were because of those ******** in front of you.

I can try and blame them but it’s all me. For instance i took a 7 on one hole when I pulled my tee shot into the tall fescue (2 there), hit my re-tee smack down the middle and proceeded to shank the 58 dig wedge right into the water left of the green. After that I made an up and down for a 7 - 3 penalty shots on that hole alone. Same thing on a par 5 where I pushed the tee shot into the water, pulled my 5 iron into the water to the right of the green and made a 7 - 2 penalty shots on that hole. Other than those 2 holes, I was even par on the back 9 - 7 pars, 1 double and 1 triple.

40-40=80 today, bogeyed the last hole. :banghead:

mikeg_74;n8879135 said:
keep it up Brian. The enthusiasm you are brining each time you tee it up is infectious and great to see.

Thank you MikeG I appreciate that!

played again this morning had a 44/43 for 87. Much harder course than yesterday and I had a freaking triple on a par 3 that i went long off the tee into the bunker which was brutal . I did have 7 pars and a birdie though!

It’s been a bit of a frustrating year. I had peaked last season with a 9.1 cap and shot in the 70’s 8 times. This year I had high expectations as I began SuperSpeed Golf in the off-season, got fitted for my irons last year and also got fitted for a new driver in May. I started the season off in January with a 79. Now it’s August and hadn’t broken 80 since until this week. Played 36 holes and shot 79 and 76.

I did start playing some different courses this season and I think it’s taken some time to gain course knowledge, etc.

This season my cap has been hovering around an 11.5 but hoping to get it back to a 9 by the end of the season.

I think I’ve stumbled onto something driver wise. I was averaging 210 with a Game Golf “typical” drive of 223 and fighting the snap hooks. My new driver setup after 3 rds I’m averaging 230 with a 244 typical and my miss now is a long push which I can live with.

Got out on Thursday and was right back to my normal range 40/39=79. Hoping to put together another good round this Thursday.

42/38=80 yesterday. Was on a track I play about 3/4 times a year.

41/38=79 today. Pretty happy considering I had 2 double bogeys on the front nine.

38/38=76 today. Putter was really good today with only 28 putts. Playing some consistent golf right now, and hope it carries thru to December.

So I’ve been up and down all season... as low as 36 in my 9 hole league and as high as 49 (ugh) on a particularly bad day. I still haven’t put together two solid 9s on a regular basis and only have two 18 hole rounds in the 80s this year.

Qualifying for our club championship is on September 21... I’d like to put in a good showing this year so I need to dig in and practice. Hopefully if I put in the work then we’ll see a <80 round as a natural result.

Since my 79 I have not shot that low but things are looking good for another sub 80 round. I shot back to back 86's with one nine being 40 with two birdies. The lessons and my hard work in the brutal Texas heat are paying dividends that I hope will lead to consistently lower scores this fall.

On holiday in Marbella at the minute and 2 rounds into my 7 that I will play, I have had an 81 at Cabopino on Monday and then today a 79 at Calanova.
very unexpected and happy with the scores as I was expecting bigger numbers.
Starting to fell breaking 80 is becoming more realistic more often. Happy days.

Awesome thread to see how other people struggle with this magical number. Eagled 18 to break to shoot 78 this past weekend. Hoping to do this consistently over the next year! Putting is holding me back... 3 putts kill me...

For me I can't seem to avoid an OB in a round. Very tight course I play. Also, I play on a "mountain course" so the lies are almost always side hill or up/down. Very hard to pick the right club and make a good balanced swing. I shoot anywhere from 83-89. Just can't seem to hold it together throughout a round. :banghead:

Back