The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full swing practice today, with a "simulated" round to finish out. I was briefly concerned with some back pain resurgence, but it went away after a while. I felt like I was making some progress with eliminating the push slice, but there are still too many fats, thins & pulls, so I think I have a lot of work to do still. I would not be surprised if my downswing is getting on the steep side again.

Today I focus on grip. My grip is again working its way to overly strong on irons, closing the club face. I toyed with going to overlap instead of interlocking a few times last weekend, and it helps me keep my hands more loose. Going to see if I can use the overlap, keep my grip neutral and loose while working the clubhead speed back up.

The real life responsibilities have wratched up significantly, which has cancelled a few trips to the range. I've been able to get into the garage and practice set up and some other swing fundamentals, especially with the Peltz Finesse Swing. It is time to get to the range and hit some balls so I can get some feedback. Maybe Saturday afternoon.

Found my swing. It's back on.

Just pured an entire bucket of 6 irons to a blanket. :cool:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Found my swing. It's back on.

Just pured an entire bucket of 6 irons to a blanket. :cool:

Awesome, well done!

I've been doing the "One step forward, two steps back" dance an awful lot lately. As soon as I think I've found something that I've been doing wrong and address it, I lose focus on another area and two more things stop working.

Well, the last two practice sessions may have finally come together. This weekend will be the measure.

I've been doing the "One step forward, two steps back" dance an awful lot lately. As soon as I think I've found something that I've been doing wrong and address it, I lose focus on another area and two more things stop working.

Well, the last two practice sessions may have finally come together. This weekend will be the measure.

Me to a t.

Found my ball striking lost my putting and chipping

I didn't hit every ball perfect but dang I had a nice range session with the irons. The biggest challenge was that I was compressing the ball so nicely that I was about 1 club longer from gap wedge through 7i. I actually left about 1/4 of the balls behind and gave them to the kid in the spot next to me because I didn't want to keep hitting balls until I got tired and bad. I would pay money out of my own pocket to take this swing to Vegas. Really happy.

Had my first range session last night since the birth of our daughter 2 weeks ago. Delighted with how I was hitting them, I reckon (hope!) fatherhood will be good for my game!!

You'll be the first if that's the case Benny lol!

Range yesterday and today. Also hit the pitch and putt, practice bunker, and practice green today. Sand practice was good. Took a little cue from Furyk on my set up in the bunker and it really helped me get the club under the ball.

Spent this morning on the range with a pro at a local course, focusing only on the driver. Somehow my ball flight went from piercing to ballooning, and I lost nearly 40 yards off the tee. Changed how I keep the club in my left hand, changed how strong I grip the club and switched from interlocking to overlapping. I have no problem swinging in to out, but we worked on getting my backswing more vertical instead of swinging around myself.

No more slices, they were fades and cuts or straight staying inside my imaginary fairway. Only pulled a couple left when I would try to go to slow and deliberate on my backswing. We found that at address my shoulders are open. My body is at ease, so apparently my back injuries have left me crooked. Making a conscious turn at the waist and shifting weight by bending my left knee straightened out my shoulders in relation to the target line. What a difference.

No more closing the club face down to straighten the ball flight. No more ballooning ball flights shooting straight up and plugging upon landing. I can't wait to get out on the course and see what I can do. Once everything gets ingrained I can work on getting the speed back up and see if I can get back out to touching 275 total with regularity.

For the guys that golfed with me at Mission Inn, imagine the ball flight on the shots that I straight pulled to the left, but going down the middle.

Range tonight finally.
Driver game was still a mess just jot comfortable at all. However I continued to hit 3w great off the tee.

Still not getting along with the tt irons event the flush shots feel kinda blah...not sure what it is.

Did work on some partial swing wedge shots and hit them very very well which was great to see.

Game has regressed trying to save face
For the rest of the season

Got some good range time in this afternoon; spent a lot of time working with the driver and chipping/pitching around the green. Figured a few things out in both areas, hoping it holds up for some time in the course.

Got some good range time in this afternoon; spent a lot of time working with the driver and chipping/pitching around the green. Figured a few things out in both areas, hoping it holds up for some time in the course.

If you were at Weaver, they have an excellent practice area. Excellent for chip, pitch and sand shots. Great turf to hit full shots off of and of course the putting green is flawless. Have spent a few evenings there trying to figure things (anything) out. Haven't had much luck yet. Hope you are able to groove those things you found.

Got out to the range with my son yesterday, trying to get a little practice in before today's round and Vegas next weekend. Went pretty well, overall, but couldn't hit my driver straight to save my life. Thankfully, my 3-wood is pretty consistent. Maybe I should give up on drivers and get a 3Deep already.

Frustrating day at the range. Almost all my shots were terrible. Only a handful I was decently proud of. The frustrating thing is the last time I went I showed dramatic improvement although the time before that was bad. Such a crazy roller coaster. With all my ups and downs, I find it nuts my co-worker never goes to the range yet consistently hits low 80s... Give me a break golf gods!

Life is finally slowing down and turning around for me, so I can get back to working on the game and spending some time at the range. Getting back to the range after probably a month layoff. Just no time or real desire to go after a disappointing season for me and some personal things. This will also be my first night out with my new 712's, so will be getting used to them and breaking them in. Like a dummy, I left my former gamers at home so I won't be able judge distance gain or loss, but I will be at my home course range so that will help some.

I'm not quite sure how Range time, of which I do a lot, transfers to the golf course, when the range has artificial mats. It has helped with my swing, but it seems I hit great shots off the mat that end up being wayward drives or chunks off the tee box and turf.

I do a lot of range practice in my backyard... with a large net and nice hitting mats. But the results are the same. It doesn't readily transfer to the golf course. It could all be between my ears, but I decided that full grown perennial rye sod is cheap enough that I made a driving area of real turf in a corner of the yard. We'll see if it helps.

attachment.php

Wow, now that is dedication.

Spent an hour on the practice green putting. Did a little chipping as well.

Have to figure something out here. I'm struggling for practice time, and much of my practice time is with the boy along for the ride. That's always enjoyable of course, but I need some time to worry about just me and that's tough when somebody is asking you to watch every ball he's hitting.

Not sure if I've got a good answer to this one and it's a wee bit stressful. Not feeling prepared when I step on the course. I may start practicing in the garage to at least have a swing I can remember on Sunday.

This is really a tough one, Hawk.

To this point I have given up on the extra time and practice the swing on a matt in the garage when the kids have gone to bed. Obviously, there is no feedback of seeing ball flight. However, this can be surprisingly effective - I can 'groove' my iron, Pelz' finesse and chipping swings. With this approach actual range time is more about getting feedback to confirm the feel of the swing and less about working on the swing (if that makes sense).

More recently I have considered a Plan B of signing the kids up for golf lesson / clinic series at my home course. I will get an hour of solo practice time while they are in the clinic and they will get to work on the game, too. I've hesitated because of the cost but it is definitely going to happen when I get back from the Bridgestone a Invitational.

I live right on a golf course (moved here last fall, and how I got into the game) and after work and after the last group plays through I either play the hole right behind my house (par 5 and I live right by the tee box), go to the hole before it and work on my putting, or actually go to the club's range and hit there. However, most days during the summer the range only has the mats open and I have discovered that I really don't like hitting off mats and if my swing is off and I am hitting fat shots I end up getting too sore and have to take time off. I work on some aspect of my swing every day.

This morning I did slow motion drills for 15-20 minutes. This evening the wife and I might go work on our putting or I might go do some chipping in the yard (try to chip from my yard onto the tee box and have it stick). When you have young children at home you just have to get in your practice whenever you can.

This is really a tough one, Hawk.

To this point I have given up on the extra time and practice the swing on a matt in the garage when the kids have gone to bed. Obviously, there is no feedback of seeing ball flight. However, this can be surprisingly effective - I can 'groove' my iron, Pelz' finesse and chipping swings. With this approach actual range time is more about getting feedback to confirm the feel of the swing and less about working on the swing (if that makes sense).

More recently I have considered a Plan B of signing the kids up for golf lesson / clinic series at my home course. I will get an hour of solo practice time while they are in the clinic and they will get to work on the game, too. I've hesitated because of the cost but it is definitely going to happen when I get back from the Bridgestone a Invitational.

I've thought about waiting until they are asleep. It's hard to get motivated at that time though and I'm sure you can relate. By then I either want to veg out or jump into a firey pit of lava to end it all LOL.

I think mat practice is fine. I can tell if I'm swiping or hitting the ball solidly without seeing it. Obviously not ideal, but I've gotta do something. My tempo and timing is off when I don't practice a lot.

I like that idea of yours too. Would have to wait until next year though with winter coming in a couple months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back