The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad,
Just watched your video, the 2nd swing looked GOOD! Keep it up man

Thanks big guy. It's a work in progress, but it is satisfying to see the work starting to pay off.

Just like we talked about the other day. It helps so much when you go in with a plan, and it really settles you down and doesn't allow you to get worked up as much I think. Just wait until July, gonna be awesome!

You are so right. The times I go with a plan I get a lot out if the range. I hate leaving there after I've just pounded balls and gotten no results.

July will be awesome!

I will be spending lots of time in this thread after the holidays

went and got a swing diagnosis at golftec last night, saw it on video, said it looked good on the takeaway, and then on the downswing it becomes a HOT MESS

As long as its a consistent hot mess

As long as its a consistent hot mess

I wish that was the truth, only thing consistent are my misses

I at least know what the focus needs to be

You are so right. The times I go with a plan I get a lot out if the range. I hate leaving there after I've just pounded balls and gotten no results.

July will be awesome!

We'll keep feeding off each other. I think you and I struggle with the same things in our game so it will be nice to be able vent to each other after a bad day! Keep it up and we'll be unstoppable come July!

I wish that was the truth, only thing consistent are my misses

I at least know what the focus needs to be

What are you doing on your downswing that they want you to fix?

My short game has to be my prime focus in 2013. I talked to the old pro at our course as he's kind of known as the short game guru. I think he and I derived a great plan for short game practice. Now I just have to stick to it better than I have my exercise plan!!!

What are you doing on your downswing that they want you to fix?

I want to know this as well. If your misses are consistent, then isn't what you're doing in your downswing consistent as well?

My misses are pushes/blocks or hooks. Both come from the same root, coming too far from the inside....the pushes come when I hold the face square to the path, the hooks come when I flip at the bottom and close the face down.

I want to know this as well. If your misses are consistent, then isn't what you're doing in your downswing consistent as well?

My misses are pushes/blocks or hooks. Both come from the same root, coming too far from the inside....the pushes come when I hold the face square to the path, the hooks come when I flip at the bottom and close the face down.

Video yourself and see if you are having an "early extension". This causes the inconsistencies that you are experiencing and is also very common in amateurs.

I currently am working on fixing this and a couple of other minor swing changes over the winter.

Video yourself and see if you are having an "early extension". This causes the inconsistencies that you are experiencing and is also very common in amateurs.

I currently am working on fixing this and a couple of other minor swing changes over the winter.

I've been on video with my coach and that's not what is going on. I take the club back and get it under the plane (aka too far inside) on the backswing. The majority of people that take it back that way will come over the top on the downswing, but I just stay too far from the inside. So I'm working hard on my takeaway to get it more on plane, then just turning through the ball. If I'm still struggling, I'll purposely try to hit fades/slices to get the feel of something different.

I got SAMs Putt Lab set up in my apartment so guess what I'm doing?

Pretty cool experience yesterday evening. I met the inventor of the SAM Putting Lab. Really nice guy!
He said he would put me into one of his sessions after the Christmas season. Hopefully it will be at a very low cost since he does training/teaching sessions ocassionally nearby.

I've been on video with my coach and that's not what is going on. I take the club back and get it under the plane (aka too far inside) on the backswing. The majority of people that take it back that way will come over the top on the downswing, but I just stay too far from the inside. So I'm working hard on my takeaway to get it more on plane, then just turning through the ball. If I'm still struggling, I'll purposely try to hit fades/slices to get the feel of something different.

Sounds to me that you're on the right track. I'm working on an earlier wrist set on my takeaway. Getting used to that feel is a struggle for me now but I'm committed to the change process so I'm working through it. One of the things I'm trying to do different also is to bend my right elbow against my right hip on the takeaway. That helps me get to the right position with a better/earlier wrist set.
Let's hang in there. I'm confident that the results will be an improvement.

More 9:3 drill work for me in the garage.

Pretty cool experience yesterday evening. I met the inventor of the SAM Putting Lab. Really nice guy!
He said he would put me into one of his sessions after the Christmas season. Hopefully it will be at a very low cost since he does training/teaching sessions ocassionally nearby.

It's a great tool but holy smokes can it mess your mind up. It's best used in small doses. I can easily OD on it.

Some folks here can attest to the fact that I am terrible on the range. My problem in the range is lack of focus and just hitting ball after ball without intent.

That's always been my problem too.....I have never really belong to a course or had a range with a really good target greens or anything like that...so I end up beating 2 buckets of balls to death with no real purpose.

As my irons are being shortened by half an inch I had a range session with the 3 wood and 3 hybrid. Hit a bucket of 50 balls working mainly on ball position changes when teeing up and from the deck. Also worked on alignment, spine tilt and maintaining posture during the swing. Hit the balls pretty solidly and feeling much better about the 3W.

My session on the putting green was a true epiphany. I have putted both well and badly in the past without honestly realising what a good putting set up and repeatable stroke feels like. Well today that all changed and I rolled putt after putt consistently. I mixed and matched my putts, toe putted downhill, putted straight and plenty of left and right breakers and whilst I missed quite a few, not one long or tricky putt was left outside of the 2-3 foot magic circle. I initially thought I was not working with the lie of the putter and the heel was mostly slightly up but I then realised it was the way my arms were hanging right below the shoulder sockets that was the key! The upper arms were connected to the torso to complete the triangle. I proved to myself that nothing else major was causing my erratic putting by altering the ball position and putting both square and slightly open stance. None of these changes had a massive effect on consistency providing my arms were connected and hanging from a natural position when bent over! For me this is massive because I now know what it feels like to be correctly set up over the ball and the rest should follow!

I have a question for all you range guys. When your out there taking divots do you prefer to take your next shot from 1. directly behind your last divot effectivly making a line and moving you from left to right or 2. place your next ball on the side of the divot closest to you making you move back ???

I put the ball behind Kelly

I have a question for all you range guys. When your out there taking divots do you prefer to take your next shot from 1. directly behind your last divot effectivly making a line and moving you from left to right or 2. place your next ball on the side of the divot closest to you making you move back ???

I was always told to play Behind my last shot to make a continuous Line of sorts, supposedly it promotes visual help and encourages hitting down.

My pro loves it, greenskeeper hates it haha

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

I was always told to play Behind my last shot to make a continuous Line of sorts, supposedly it promotes visual help and encourages hitting down.

My pro loves it, greenskeeper hates it haha

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

I bet greenskeepers hate to see range rats coming. I like to take divots and during MC prep this year i was at the range 3 days a week. I think for a finish it was starting to annoy the greenskeepers. One guy used to give me dirty looks while i was there

I absolutely wreck a range. I carve thick slices of turf

I bet greenskeepers hate to see range rats coming. I like to take divots and during MC prep this year i was at the range 3 days a week. I think for a finish it was starting to annoy the greenskeepers. One guy used to give me dirty looks while i was there

Yeah haha the course moves the range back every few weeks to let the ground heal, that way we don't use mats haha mats suck! IMO

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

I absolutely wreck a range. I carve thick slices of turf

You and me both buddy. Even with my driver

Yeah haha the course moves the range back every few weeks to let the ground heal, that way we don't use mats haha mats suck! IMO

Tapatalk on iPhone 5

They move once at week at this range so i was leaving straight lines on the same side the whole time haha. I prefer to use one side because it gives me better targets to aim at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back