The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for you guys?
I'm working on getting the down swing started properly to stay inside the ball.

What "thought" do you have / use to start the downswing?

Lately I've been told to think of pulling down with both hands and I think that works pretty good but I always like to see what else there is in case something clicks better.

Question for you guys?

Lately I've been told to think of pulling down with both hands and I think that works pretty good but I always like to see what else there is in case something clicks better.

I'm working on the same thing.

For me, it's a matter of feeling like I'm moving my left hip diagonally towards the target as I start my downswing.

Question for you guys?

My instructor said one thing that really helped me kind of "turn the corner" with the down swing. He said when you begin your downswing, almost let gravity get you back to that "9:00" position. Kind of like a pendulum coming back down., not fighting your natural athletic ability. That helped with that a lot. So I really focus on trying to just not try to fight a motion when I do my back swing.

I am going to try to post a video of this drill I do soon, but I basically swing my golf club like a baseball bat, slowly transferring that motion from upright, down into a golf swing. It helps me with feeling what it's like to turn my hands over as well.

Keep it up broseph!

Done some work in the livingroom this weekend with a mirror. Working on starting my swing and not rotating my hips until my shoulders are at 45*, as well as starting the downswing properly and holding the lag better.

I have a question for all you range guys. When your out there taking divots do you prefer to take your next shot from 1. directly behind your last divot effectivly making a line and moving you from left to right or 2. place your next ball on the side of the divot closest to you making you move back ???

I'm a beind the divot guy. Once I move back so far, then I move to the side and place the ball right next to the line.

I'm a beind the divot guy. Once I move back so far, then I move to the side and place the ball right next to the line.

It is the only way to do it if you don't wanna be a turf-destroying douche.

Question for you guys?

A swing thought that helps me is, a waiter with a very heavy tray in the right hand. It just naturally drops down. and then in

Sent from my DROID X2

Had an indifferent range session tonight started getting to close to the ball and hitting hosel rockets, but I didn't feel comfortable a little further away. Finally sorted it and was hitting some hood irons. On a plus note my driver was on fire tonight hope it continues.

Heading to the golf dome after my morning office hours today. Going to hit 100 balls and continue to build on this new swing.

That sounds fun to me. Our dome went bye-bye a couple years ago and I still miss it.

Thanks big guy. It's a work in progress, but it is satisfying to see the work starting to pay off.

So many bad things.

1. Head dips down and forward
2. Back shoulder drops a TON, hello THINS on the followthrough

That sounds fun to me. Our dome went bye-bye a couple years ago and I still miss it.

Was that the one in Davenport on Brady just south of 53rd? I remember one being there when I was out there.

Was that the one in Davenport on Brady just south of 53rd? I remember one being there when I was out there.

Sure was. It's now owned by St Ambrose College. I've brainstormed on ways to sneak in there, but I suspect I'd stick out due to the bad swing and beer gut.

Sure was. It's now owned by St Ambrose College. I've brainstormed on ways to sneak in there, but I suspect I'd stick out due to the bad swing and beer gut.

St. Ambrose, always mucking things up! Haha, weather isn't looking promising out there either. Sounds like the white stuff is gonna put a damper on things real quick!

So many bad things.

1. Head dips down and forward
2. Back shoulder drops a TON, hello THINS on the followthrough

Keep at it man. That's why I love having the dome, no excuses to not swing at least three times a week!

St. Ambrose, always mucking things up! Haha, weather isn't looking promising out there either. Sounds like the white stuff is gonna put a damper on things real quick!

I think it was either they buy it or it was going to get tore down. Those things are a fortune to heat and the owner was struggling big time. They were having MMA fights and dance clubs in there towards the end lol.

Snow is on the way they say. I'm holding out hope that it won't be around for long, but you never know around here. boooo

So went to the range this afternoon with one big goal in mind: Being deliberate about turning my hands over on my downswing (from 9-3). Man, first 20 balls were horrible. Hosel rockets, blading, hitting fat.

So I step back, do my little baseball swing drill, which I need to post, and really made it a point to deliberately turn the hands over. Man, what a freaking difference that made. When I was doing the swing correctly, the ball was jumping off the club face and it just felt awesome, no hint of a slice at all. I actually went back and bought a small bucket of balls to continue because I was having fun and I really wanted to imprint the motion into my swing.

The swing change is really coming along and with my second lesson being scheduled for Friday, I am excited to take the next step. I will try to post the drill I've been doing tomorrow, as I am gonna sneak out to the range on my lunch!

I'm tellin you MC guys, you better watch out come July, cause this guy ain't gonna be a push over. #doingworkson

My last 2 range sessions have solely been me and a few buckets and a 57* wedge. Been working on my 9 to 3 pretty diligently. My back is killing me right now though.

Nice work guys!

I only had about 30 minutes before dark and I worked on chipping with a 54*

I had some downtime before my round today. I usually would head to the range for a warm up, but decided to head over to the short game area and work on 10-30 yard chips. I moved the ball up just a smidge in my stance and it worked out really well.

Amazing how much the sequencing of the downswing does to your distance. Worked on that (and other things) for about two days and now I'm hitting my 9-iron longer than I used to hit my 8-iron. :banana:

I've always struggled with that part but Chuck Quinton and Rotary Swing broke it down really well for me to improve that area of my swing.

Just got into work after an early meeting then a 30 minute lesson.

When I get the turn done well, things fall into place. When I think I'm turning but I'm raising my arms more instead. Chaos ensues.

Amazing how much the sequencing of the downswing does to your distance. Worked on that (and other things) for about two days and now I'm hitting my 9-iron longer than I used to hit my 8-iron. :banana:

I've always struggled with that part but Chuck Quinton and Rotary Swing broke it down really well for me to improve that area of my swing.

Was there a particular thing that you worked on? I'm sure everyone would like to hear how you gained a club in distance. :smile:

Was there a particular thing that you worked on? I'm sure everyone would like to hear how you gained a club in distance. :smile:

A bit more detail in my swing-thread in the Swing Tips forum, but basically by getting better separation between my arms and hips in the downswing.

It's really coming together for me at the minute, we are working on slight adjustments at the minute today was making sure my shoulders are square at address.
My driver I didn't really use this much today I hit a 10 drives and creamed everyone about 220 yards ( with 1 piece less distance range balls), my hybrids which I haven't really been hitting well I was hitting some monster shots with them, likewise my irons I was hitting straight and fairly consistent. Got a round booked in for Friday and next week now in off for 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back